Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Wireless Camera #14219043 12/12/21 09:32 PM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity

Looking for a "wireless" backup camera to put on the back top of my travel trailer. Most so called wireless cams have wires. What's w/ that? Help me find one w/o any wires.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14219298 12/13/21 02:11 AM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
My wireless has a wire to the screen to power it up and a wire to the back up lights to turn the camera on. Other than those, it is wireless.

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14219786 12/13/21 06:46 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
be sure of the distance any of those will transmit, may have to go with wired.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/best-backup-camera-for-2021/

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14219896 12/13/21 09:12 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Blink... Not a backup camera. It's a wireless security camera. Motion-activated and has great resolution.

Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14220195 12/14/21 02:45 AM
Fourjs Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Google Furrion rear view cameras. My brother’s 5th wheel was pre wired for it. Our first TT had The same setup but we never bought it. Plug it in and you’re good to go. Comes with a monitor. You can even buy blind spot cameras.

We bought a class A this year that came with both the rear and blind spot cameras. Well worth the money.

Jimmy

Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14224341 12/18/21 04:55 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by V-Bottom

Looking for a "wireless" backup camera to put on the back top of my travel trailer. Most so called wireless cams have wires. What's w/ that? Help me find one w/o any wires.

We just bought a 2022 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB. It is a 30' trailer, hitch pull travel trailer. It came "Pre wired" for a Furrion camera. The Furrion Camera was in the $500 range and there are numerous "not so good" reviews for it that claim "dropout" in reception and Lag during speed on the road. What I have seen good reviews on is the Haloview RD7 range dominator system. It has an extended Antenna Module that mounts with 3m adhesive strips on the roof of the Trailer at the Front so the distance from the Monitor in the Truck via wireless bluetooth is much closer. From the front of the Trailer then, to the Monitor is closer to 12 -14 feet vs. 39 ft. if you had the Furrion camera only at the rear of the trailer.

There are many Youtube videos that do a side by side compare. Some Furrion owners claim they have no dropout and the system works fine. I opted for the HaloView RD7 for $340. I can tell you that there is definitely some quality with the Haloview system. Everything packaged nice, ALL of the neccessary hardwire and cabling for a good solid mounting.

Here is some pics of my install with the HaloView:

First I had to remove the stock "Furrion Ready" plastic housing.

[Linked Image]

With the plastic Furrion bracket removed it left the hole with the wire and 4 screw holes that will be used for the New Halovision RD7 Bracket.

[Linked Image]

I had to gently scrape off the silicone where the Furrion bracket was. Note that the hole drilled for the Power wire sticking out is oblong since it was drilled at an angle at the factory.

I had to come up with some type of cover to place over this large hole since the RD7 bracket is not flush intentionally to allow for the cable behind the bracket.

What I found was at a Marine Boat store, West Marine here in Texas. This is called a "Two Hole Wire Cap". Comes with a rubber gasket and 3 small screws. I ran the wires through this for the DC power hookup to the camera and some White GE Silicone under the gasket to form a water seal against rain ingress.

[Linked Image]

Here below is shown the 3 small holes that I drilled for the Two Hole Wire Cap. I chose to NOT use the Power Adapter RD7 to Furrion Power because that would make it difficult to stuff the cabling and tuck it after the camera mounting. I used the supplied pigtail cable from the RD7 to splice to the Red and black power wires. Remember to route wires through the Hole Cover gasket prior to splicing.

[Linked Image]

I applied a small bead of Silicone before the Two Wire Hole cap cover then screwed on the Plastic Two Hole Wire Cap. I forgot to take a photo with just the wire cap installed. But here below you can see the Hole Cover in place. The power wire feeds out the bottom. Later after positioning the cabling I will squirt some silicone into the hole where the wire exits to seal it off as well.

[Linked Image]

Here is what it looks like from under the camera mount. I still need to add some Silicone to seal where the power cable exits.

[Linked Image]

I added a few cable clamps with short SS screws to route the cabling up onto the Top of the Camper. It will be secured to the roof along with the LONG cable that extends to the TOP front of the camper where the Range Extender unit will be mounted with self adhesive pad.

Here is what the mount and cabling looks like so far:

[Linked Image]

Finished up running and securing the cable from the Camera across the roof to the front of the Trailer where the Extended Antenna module was attached. We tested it by connecting the trailer connector to the Truck and plugged in the Monitor in the Cab of the truck. The monitor had 5 bars of signal from the camera and the two communicated well. I had to turn on the "Parking/Running " lights and the camera at the rear of the Trailer powered up fine. So all is good, can't wait to try it out on a trip.

Here below is the Extended Antenna module at the Front of the Trailer.

[Linked Image]

A view of the cabling attached to the Roof with 3M adhesive backed Cable clamps.

[Linked Image]

The rear of the Trailer where I coiled the excess cable and secured it. System works great so far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14224353 12/18/21 05:08 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14224580 12/18/21 09:58 PM
V-Bottom Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
From the camper to the vehicle's dash, how's that wired? I'm interested in that solar setup to.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14224877 12/19/21 04:20 AM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
From the camper to the vehicle's dash, how's that wired? I'm interested in that solar setup to.

It is wireless from the Camper Transmitter to the Monitor in the dash. I get 5 total bars of Signal strength. Bluetooth. If it were not for the Extended Antenna Transmitter from the camera across the roof to the front of the Camper. That means the wireless distance is at most 12 feet.

[Linked Image]

Here is a video of it:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Wireless Camera [Re: V-Bottom] #14298904 02/27/22 06:29 AM
T
toofy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T

Most so called wireless cams have wires. What's w/ that?

So you're saying you want one with a battery you have to charge before every trip and may not last the entire trip?

Last edited by toofy; 02/27/22 06:29 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide