Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,678
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? #14295702 02/24/22 07:31 PM
M
MTH82 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
It seems this Livescope technology has changed the sport of fishing more than anything has changed the sport in decades, maybe ever. If you know how to use it, it seems it's more like hunting than fishing. You troll around looking for monster bass on a screen. Once you find it you take a shot. It seems more like trophy elk hunting with a bow than your typical fishing. You may be able to see a monster elk, but to get it in range of a bow and for everything to line up, that's a different story.
On a lake the size (20,000 acres) of OH Ivie, over time it seems that you could get a good idea of almost every large fish in that lake. Almost like you could identify every trophy elk on a 20,000 acre property. I know an acre of water supports more fish than an acre of land does for elk, but I would imagine, over time, you would know a good percentage of the trophy fish in a body of water that size.
I know these guys like Josh can tell if it's a large bass on the screen, but can they judge a fish within a pound or two of it's actual weight? Also, I would imagine he's seen fish on the screen that he wasn't able to hook and has gone back after that particular fish time and time again.
Am I off on all this? I don't think this is a bad thing, just think it has changed things significantly.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295834 02/24/22 08:25 PM
Weekender1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I don't have livescope (Yet) but still believe that the Ultrex was the biggest game changer for me. I love to fish off shore and now can hold on my spot without using an anchor or even worse anchorS.

Jody

Tyler Bass Club
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295839 02/24/22 08:28 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
It is for those that learn to utilize it.

Most of us do not take the time to learn to use our electronics properly and would be just as well off with a 2-D unit with GPS.

#MFGA
Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295850 02/24/22 08:39 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
I never imagined that someone would intentionally just troll around all day for the chance to throw at 1 fish. If the record happens to fall due to FFS, it will definitely mean less to me. Iโ€™m sure sales for FFS would go insane though.

Biggest game changer? For a few guys, it certainly is.

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295858 02/24/22 08:43 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I think it is for these special fish that ordinarily wouldn't get caught. I truly believe there's a percentage of these large Florida's that simply don't bite outside the spawn. Livescope puts them in a vulnerable position with a bait literally invading their space repeatedly. It is a game changer and it will be responsible for tons of tournaments won and already has. Especially the tour levels.

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295873 02/24/22 08:52 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Livescope has changed the way that a few will now fish. Although, people may know the basic strategy in hunting the giants, I would say that 90% of the folks will never master it and will eventually give up. It's not that easy. The biggest game changer IMO has been the spot lock technology. Everybody knows how to master that one....even me.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295878 02/24/22 08:55 PM
Top Waters Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I installed Active Target a couple of weeks ago and am really impressed with what I can see under water. But let's stop and think about where this is headed. I have no problem with technology changing the way we do things. Just look how it impacts our lives in other ways from how we make coffee in Keurigs to using trail cameras to know which deer stand to go to next. 20 years ago we looked at graphs that gave use greyscale arches on a 6" screen and we thought that was so awesome. If you think FFS is awesome now, in 20 years (probably less) we will be looking at images of fish that are so clear you will be able to identify whether it is a Florida bass, spotted bass, or a Guadalupe bass. Heck, they may even have a feature that shows whether the fish want a jerk bait or a jig based on how their fins are flapping. The game has changed.....and it will keep changing.

GO -------> fish

"Spit in his mouth, Son. It will make him grow bigger faster"
My late grandfather Bill Chapman (and former lake patrolman at Lake Tyler, TX)
I have spent the past 50 years spitting in their mouths...increasing the size of Texas fish with every spit!

P.B. 9.4 lbs - Lake Fork
2018 Skeeter ZX250 Yamaha 250 SHO
Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295879 02/24/22 08:56 PM
J
june-bug Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I saw someone asked Josh recently on how accurately he could judge the fishes size on FFS and I believe he said that he is usually within a half pound or so. I do believe that for the guys like himself and some others that have learned how to use it to the fullest it is absolutely the biggest game changer ever. Going out and catching a DD has always been something really special. An unusual occurrence that many of us and our friends waited for years to happen.. It's becoming a daily occurrence for JJ and that to me just takes something away from the overall accomplishment. I agree with you grout-scout that if the world, state or even lake records fall due to FFS it will definitely mean less to me also. In my opinion there should probably be an asterisk by it in the books. What these guy's are doing is amazing and I'm not knocking it but it's only a matter of time before many, many more will learn the technology and become close to or better than he currently is. It seems to me that after a while if you just go out and catch a DD a couple times a week at some point it's just not impressive any more.

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #14295883 02/24/22 08:58 PM
B
Big Swimbait Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
I think it is for these special fish that ordinarily wouldn't get caught. I truly believe there's a percentage of these large Florida's that simply don't bite outside the spawn. Livescope puts them in a vulnerable position with a bait literally invading their space repeatedly. It is a game changer and it will be responsible for tons of tournaments won and already has. Especially the tour levels.

I agree. The guys that have learned to use it are targeting fish of all sizes. Wheeler and the father and son Jones' have put on a clinic at Mother Fork this week.

Less gritchin', more fishin'
Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295894 02/24/22 09:07 PM
G
GarySHO Offline
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
G
Catching fish is only part of what FFS does for you. You can see how fish relate to structure during different weather fronts or after a fast rise or how they respond to a color etc. You can tell if the fish are spooky or aggressive or actively eating on a deep school of shad you would never see before. You can start to put the puzzle together and expect certain scenarios beforehand based on what you know about the lake or weather changes and what you have seen before on the FFS on similar prior trips.

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295902 02/24/22 09:12 PM
H
Hook'em79 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Without a doubt.

God, Family, Friends
www.sterlingtractor.com

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295911 02/24/22 09:19 PM
M
manhunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I listened to an interview with John Soukup (pro Angler and owner of The Bass Tank) and he was telling a story about how he and his son have "no electronics days" of fishing. He said his 12 year old gets more stoked to go "naked" than use the technology. I think there is something pure and exciting about the unknown and not knowing what lurks beneath. However, to compete these days you simply have got to have it or get left behind.

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: june-bug] #14295922 02/24/22 09:27 PM
M
MTH82 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted by june-bug
I saw someone asked Josh recently on how accurately he could judge the fishes size on FFS and I believe he said that he is usually within a half pound or so. I do believe that for the guys like himself and some others that have learned how to use it to the fullest it is absolutely the biggest game changer ever. Going out and catching a DD has always been something really special. An unusual occurrence that many of us and our friends waited for years to happen.. It's becoming a daily occurrence for JJ and that to me just takes something away from the overall accomplishment. I agree with you grout-scout that if the world, state or even lake records fall due to FFS it will definitely mean less to me also. In my opinion there should probably be an asterisk by it in the books. What these guy's are doing is amazing and I'm not knocking it but it's only a matter of time before many, many more will learn the technology and become close to or better than he currently is. It seems to me that after a while if you just go out and catch a DD a couple times a week at some point it's just not impressive any more.

If Josh can tell what a fish weighs to within half a pound, can you imagine what would happen to a lake if someone sees an 18+ pounder on the screen and doesn't catch it? I know many people can't judge fish that well, but with the technology at some point judging the weight of the fish will be easy. Once someone sees that lake / state / world record that place is going to get pounded. It'll be like someone getting a picture of a world record whitetail in a public hunting area.
I'd be curious to hear about what Josh has seen and hasn't been able to catch. Has he said he's seen record fish before and been unable to catch them?

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: MTH82] #14295953 02/24/22 09:51 PM
A
AdvTX Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Thereโ€™s no way anyone can honestly say any scoped fish should be recognized as lake records or top 50 fish.

The day after catching a lot of fish is still a good day.

Re: Curious...is Livescope Technology the biggest game changer in recent history? [Re: AdvTX] #14295967 02/24/22 10:01 PM
C
champ 198 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
LOL and just like that a 17.06 today, 20mph wind and 20 degree temp.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide