Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Garmin Update [Re: SK.] #14280773 02/10/22 04:38 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
this is why I always wait a while before installing new updates.. most of the updates that have to do with tweaking the sonar are gimmicky.
it looks like the color limit function on the garmin is really a sonar return filter. all it seems to do is fliter out smaller returns, such as baitfish and your jig.. it doesnt seem to change color saturation at all.
we can see fish and baitfish, we can see the tail of our jigs moving around,, what more do we need?
more updates , more potential problems,, if the update is not to FIX an existing problem, I dont do it.
Among sonar manufacturers there alot of competition. if one manufacturer can make it appear that they have a better mousetrap, it can sway the masses to buy thier product over others.. I think Garmin is awesome, and hope they steer away from gimmicky updates that cause confusion and problems.
Humminbirds SI enhance mode is the same thing, all it does is hide certain returns to give the illusion of clearer imaging by blocking out many of the weaker returns,,
lots of facebook gurus out there, want to be the first to have the new updates and be on the cutting edge of everything and say how its a big game changer.. they just dont really understand how the sonar works and fall for these gimmicks and convince others to do the same,.,
Dont be a sheep, be a lion,. A lion doesnt ask a sheep his opinion before he eats him,,, and racehorses dont run with jackasses.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Garmin Update [Re: jig master] #14280774 02/10/22 04:40 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by jig master
So do I do the update or not ? Decisions decisions.

DONT DO IT is my advice.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Garmin Update [Re: GarySHO] #14280780 02/10/22 04:44 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by GarySHO
Originally Posted by JIM SR.
I have never done an update and I have two different HB's, and two Garmins on my boat.
They continue to work great. I read too many stories about upgrades that don't seem to work.
I'm good, hide2

thumb yep

yep thumb

Re: Garmin Update [Re: SK.] #14280788 02/10/22 04:53 PM
Whaler-170 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I’m on the fence, probably gonna wait and see if garmin changes anything with the update. This isn’t a very good picture, its looks way better in person but I have been happy with my current configuration.

[Linked Image]

Re: Garmin Update [Re: leanin post] #14280858 02/10/22 05:36 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by leanin post
this is why I always wait a while before installing new updates.. most of the updates that have to do with tweaking the sonar are gimmicky.
it looks like the color limit function on the garmin is really a sonar return filter. all it seems to do is fliter out smaller returns, such as baitfish and your jig.. it doesnt seem to change color saturation at all.
we can see fish and baitfish, we can see the tail of our jigs moving around,, what more do we need?
more updates , more potential problems,, if the update is not to FIX an existing problem, I dont do it.
Among sonar manufacturers there alot of competition. if one manufacturer can make it appear that they have a better mousetrap, it can sway the masses to buy thier product over others.. I think Garmin is awesome, and hope they steer away from gimmicky updates that cause confusion and problems.
Humminbirds SI enhance mode is the same thing, all it does is hide certain returns to give the illusion of clearer imaging by blocking out many of the weaker returns,,
lots of facebook gurus out there, want to be the first to have the new updates and be on the cutting edge of everything and say how its a big game changer.. they just dont really understand how the sonar works and fall for these gimmicks and convince others to do the same,.,
Dont be a sheep, be a lion,. A lion doesnt ask a sheep his opinion before he eats him,,, and racehorses dont run with jackasses.

BINGO leaning post well said clap!!! here`s another one I like "Eagles don`t flock with crows" coolio

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Garmin Update [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14281350 02/11/22 02:50 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

I am not certain as to why some have had great success with the update and some have had a horrible experience with the update. I updated mine and the 1st time out I was not impressed. I simply took everything back to default settings and went back to my Gain, FW range, and Depth range adjustments and all was normal. I have since had more time on the water and have been able to make subtle adjustments to my gain, collar gain, and collar limit (again subtle adjustments) and things look pretty darn good.
I recommend always doing updates via Garmin.com with an SD card 32 GB or less with a simple basic card. Nothing special. Scroll down the Garmin page to Download Updates Manually > and select your device.
I have heard from many users that update via WiFi to have had issues over the traditional manual method. Not just this update but with prior updates as well. I am in no way saying this is the problem however via WiFi it will pause during the update "wifi" and skip key components of the update thus causing an incomplete update.
I am not certain as to what would be the outcome if you were to do the update again via an SD card.
My machine is the 1222 main boat and a 1022 kayak and both are doing well after the SD card update.

From the vids that I've seen of folks loving their unit after updating still don't look as good as the previous update..... In my opinion....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Garmin Update [Re: SK.] #14281525 02/11/22 08:47 AM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Fishbonz
Originally Posted by leanin post

BINGO leaning post well said clap!!! here`s another one I like "Eagles don`t flock with crows" coolio

Originally Posted by SK.
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

I am not certain as to why some have had great success with the update and some have had a horrible experience with the update. I updated mine and the 1st time out I was not impressed. I simply took everything back to default settings and went back to my Gain, FW range, and Depth range adjustments and all was normal. I have since had more time on the water and have been able to make subtle adjustments to my gain, collar gain, and collar limit (again subtle adjustments) and things look pretty darn good.
I recommend always doing updates via Garmin.com with an SD card 32 GB or less with a simple basic card. Nothing special. Scroll down the Garmin page to Download Updates Manually > and select your device.
I have heard from many users that update via WiFi to have had issues over the traditional manual method. Not just this update but with prior updates as well. I am in no way saying this is the problem however via WiFi it will pause during the update "wifi" and skip key components of the update thus causing an incomplete update.
I am not certain as to what would be the outcome if you were to do the update again via an SD card.
My machine is the 1222 main boat and a 1022 kayak and both are doing well after the SD card update.

From the vids that I've seen of folks loving their unit after updating still don't look as good as the previous update..... In my opinion....

So as I think back at my garmin picture etc right out of the box 3 years ago when I purchased before the 1 st update I could see my jig a lot better and it seemed to have a lot better screen picture all around. Honestly I’m not saying that because of this update. I thought it was just me etc. so with that said I think I’m going to set mine back to default and be a lion.

PS It seems like I’ve done 2 updates since I originally purchased it and now this newest one is the 3 rd.

Last edited by jig master; 02/11/22 08:48 AM.

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Garmin Update [Re: jig master] #14288473 02/18/22 01:47 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by jig master

So as I think back at my garmin picture etc right out of the box 3 years ago when I purchased before the 1 st update I could see my jig a lot better and it seemed to have a lot better screen picture all around. Honestly I’m not saying that because of this update. I thought it was just me etc. so with that said I think I’m going to set mine back to default and be a lion.

PS It seems like I’ve done 2 updates since I originally purchased it and now this newest one is the 3 rd.

I've thought they were dialing these units back every update myself...... And now I see a new transducer they are offering that is advertised as better clarity and target separation......Exactly what's been taken away with every update that I've done......
I hope this is not the case as they will not be happy with me if it is.....
I'm expecting a revised update and then see this...... They should have every available hand working to fix this latest issue before expecting me or anybody else to spend more money..... Just my opinion.....

Last edited by SK.; 02/18/22 03:22 AM.

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Re: Garmin Update [Re: SK.] #14288491 02/18/22 02:07 AM
8upwithfishin' Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Could be fake news.

Re: Garmin Update [Re: 8upwithfishin'] #14288551 02/18/22 03:11 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by 8upwithfishin'
Could be fake news.

Could be, but is awfully coincidental. Lower priced LVS32’s and updates that make the background cleaner. It’s all point to “not fake news”.

Re: Garmin Update [Re: SK.] #14288561 02/18/22 03:21 AM
8upwithfishin' Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Since I'm still on restriction, maybe someone else will check with Josh Jones.

Re: Garmin Update [Re: 8upwithfishin'] #14288562 02/18/22 03:24 AM
S
SK. Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
S

LOL..... Now why would you be restricted?

Re: Garmin Update [Re: 8upwithfishin'] #14288675 02/18/22 12:27 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G

He’s running an active target, not LS.

Re: Garmin Update [Re: SK.] #14292662 02/22/22 06:49 PM
Beltonbanger� Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Just may be the cart before the horse. Since Garmin announced the new transducer yesterday that requires the new update I believe.

The "no bull" fish taxidermist!!!!!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: Garmin Update [Re: SK.] #14294911 02/24/22 04:09 AM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
IMHO: The "H" being humble & With all due respect to those who want to bash other Live technologies or compare them to King Live scope the only one`s complaining seem to be the Garmin Live Scopers! coolio I`ll confess I use a competitor and have been very happy with it right outa the box ,marking fish,seeing fish and catching fish as have various professional anglers and as far as I know there hasn`t been a need by the manufacturer to issue any updates.....SO FAR roflmao On a serious note I sincerely hope, for the sake of you guys that are unhappy with the recent updates ,that they get it all figured out.You`ve made too much of an investment to become soured.Real Talk rockon

Last edited by Fishbonz; 02/24/22 04:11 AM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide