Print Thread
Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question #14282918 02/12/22 03:49 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
So I am in a kayak and have limited mobility. Drifting is fine but got to paddle back against the wind, not so fun.

El Gato Azul, thank you so much for your response to my last newb thread, you were the only one who did respond and I have not been skunked since. Just no biggies. Got a couple about 10#ish blues and a few 15-18 inch channels tied up to the tires outside sneaky pete's yesterday in about an hour after bass fishing for 2 hours and getting blanked.

But I really want a big mofo, like 25 lbs plus.

Questions:
If there are small cats, will there be no big ones?
Do you use circle or J hooks?
Like bass fishing do you use the lightest weight you can get away with when the water is cold?
Are cats line shy? I have caught more fish on my lighter rig than my big heavy rig.
Live bait better than dead for big uns? Shad, bluegill? Obviously bluegill easy to keep alive on a yak.
I have been using chicken exclusively as I cannot catch a shad in my cast net. Will big cats eat chicken (Soaked in red dead)
I catch carp from time to time in my cast net. Should I try cutting it up and freezing it for bait when fresh is not available? (also frozen shad?)

For any of you guys who respond, thanks, I really wanna get better at catfishing. Normally I do not fish in the winter because I never catch bass until they start staging. Now I can and it makes me happy!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14282955 02/12/22 04:24 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by jippedgenes
So I am in a kayak and have limited mobility. Drifting is fine but got to paddle back against the wind, not so fun.

El Gato Azul, thank you so much for your response to my last newb thread, you were the only one who did respond and I have not been skunked since. Just no biggies. Got a couple about 10#ish blues and a few 15-18 inch channels tied up to the tires outside sneaky pete's yesterday in about an hour after bass fishing for 2 hours and getting blanked.

But I really want a big mofo, like 25 lbs plus.

Questions:
If there are small cats, will there be no big ones? Usually yes. When you scan, look for the biomass. Where there is shad, there will be sand bass, where there are sand bass, there will be blues, where there are blues there is a chance there will be big ones.
Do you use circle or J hooks? Circle Hooks, always...
Like bass fishing do you use the lightest weight you can get away with when the water is cold? I use 3 oz weights all the time. That is all I have on my boat...
Are cats line shy? I have caught more fish on my lighter rig than my big heavy rig. Catfish are not hook savvy.
Live bait better than dead for big uns? Shad, bluegill? Obviously bluegill easy to keep alive on a yak. In my experience, when the water is warmer, 60 deg or so, Shad is 100% the best bait. Alive or fresh cut. In the colder months, the other baits like Bream, Drum, etc are much better. I don't even throw shad this time of year.
I have been using chicken exclusively as I cannot catch a shad in my cast net. Will big cats eat chicken (Soaked in red dead) Learn to throw the cast net, learn to throw it deep. When you can get past having to use chicken, you will be much more likely to get into big fish.
I catch carp from time to time in my cast net. Should I try cutting it up and freezing it for bait when fresh is not available? (also frozen shad?) Carp is good winter bait. I rank it with bream and drum. Good oily bait. I think it would freeze better than shad but I'll throw in shallow water for carp and use it fresh.

For any of you guys who respond, thanks, I really wanna get better at catfishing. Normally I do not fish in the winter because I never catch bass until they start staging. Now I can and it makes me happy!

Hope this helps. Good luck and good hunting...

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14283186 02/12/22 09:24 PM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
jippedgenes,

Again, see my Catfish Calendar thread. Look for days coded with sigs BC or YC. On YC days, you can catch a mess of Blues. But on BC days, you can rack them up. And that would include big Blues just as well. February is noted as Big BlueCat month.

You might even need a Kayak trailer. Dave has used the calendar over the years, learned to work it properly. He would head out one afternoon, bait up juglines (even it was a ZIP day). Then pick the haul up in the morning (a BC day). He keyed in to what I had taught him- Bleedover, it works up to 12 hours either way. Use it to your advantage, especially if running set lines. There was one time they had to build a ramp to get their ice chest out of the truck. They could not lift it out of the truck.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14283285 02/12/22 11:01 PM
๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I do everything like Tim except we use a 2 oz slinky weight instead of 3. I always use fresh bait. If your fishing tomorrow then get out and hit the channel from the 35 bridge to the sneaky peats hump and you might get lucky. Thatโ€™s where Iโ€™m going to look first. The pattern is going to really start to change over the next few weeks as the water starts to warm.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14283404 02/13/22 01:09 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Hi there!

I am a n00bie to cat'n as well, and have learned a lot from Catfish Tim and Chris (El Gato),

A few things to add.
In winter don't drift too fast - 0.5mph is ideal.
Don't mistake your weight bumping across the bottom for a bite. A good bite, a 'take down' by a big fish will usually hit hard.
Be patient but also don't drift the same line forever. I was told try it for 30-45 minutes and if no joy move, and it seems to work.
Definitely big circle hooks! They pretty much hook themselves when they bite down on the bait.
Don't be shy putting on big baits (large chunks and head pieces).
Be careful in your yak! The big fish pull real hard.

Good luck!!

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14283639 02/13/22 01:21 PM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
I fish for big blues from February to April, I never fish more than 5 feet of water, usually around 2 feet on shallow flats, some with timber, some without. I don't use electronics to search for them. I use chicken as well, my largest fish on chicken is 60lbs so yes the big ones eat chicken.

I fished this past Friday because we had a warming trend, the bite was very good but only 3 of them were over 10lbs and biggest was 15lbs. Most of the blues were 5-9lbs but no big fish Friday.

If I were you I would stay shallow and fish, not drift in that kayak.

You will catch big fish if they are in the lake.

Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14283764 02/13/22 02:58 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Thanks fellas, what a wealth of knowledge. I do not feel comfy getting out in the main lake as people are dicks. I had a big ole ski boat come off plane 50 feet from me. Sent huge waves at me. i was able to get turned into them otherwise I would go for a swim. Always wear my PFD.

Will check out the catfish calendar!

For tackle I got a couple of garcia round clicker reels and some heavy ugly sticks with 50 lbs braid. I am sure this is sufficient. I have a sonar but it is a cheapo and details are poor.

Nelie, I like the idea of fishing shallow. Got any starter spots I could hit from a yak?

60 lbs would be a dream but i would be happy with one half that size.

Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14283783 02/13/22 03:11 PM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Shoot me a PM of lakes you want to fish and I can tell you where to start. I fish from a mud rig with a mud motor and get really shallow, similar to what you would do with a kayak.

Last edited by nellie; 02/13/22 03:12 PM.
Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14284664 02/14/22 04:48 AM
๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
We smashed em in 37 ft today. 46 and 44 were the big fish with 300 lbs in the boat all caught on the live stream. Had triple toads hooked up in the area I told you to fish but got tangled and broke em all off.

Last edited by ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€; 02/14/22 04:56 AM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€] #14284826 02/14/22 01:50 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€
We smashed em in 37 ft today. 46 and 44 were the big fish with 300 lbs in the boat all caught on the live stream. Had triple toads hooked up in the area I told you to fish but got tangled and broke em all off.

HOLY [censored]! I will keep going out and keep trying. I cannot imagine hooking a 30+

I am gonna catch some bluegill next time and try one rod with live bait. I bought some of those rattle things and will keep hope high.

Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: jippedgenes] #14286291 02/16/22 12:27 AM
TxCatfishGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Fish are everywhere this time of year and with this weather pattern. You don't have to drift in fact of recent anchor fishing has been far more productive on our guide boats.

Look for shad. Find the bait and you find the fish.

Re: Key to catching big blues? Broad Newb question [Re: TxCatfishGuide] #14287178 02/16/22 09:57 PM
J
jippedgenes Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by TxCatfishGuide
Fish are everywhere this time of year and with this weather pattern. You don't have to drift in fact of recent anchor fishing has been far more productive on our guide boats.

Look for shad. Find the bait and you find the fish.

Thanks, Hard to go looking for bait from a yak. But I will keep plugging away.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide