texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
bneilson, HookSet’sFree, Rely0nme, #Catfishingrcl, KevinWyatt
118065 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 113,125
hopalong 111,238
Bigbob_FTW 86,900
John175☮ 84,140
Pilothawk 82,766
Mark Perry 68,290
Derek 🐝 67,988
JDavis7873 67,414
Bob Davis 66,571
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,152,691
Posts15,746,203
Members143,065
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Lithium Batteries #14280238 02/10/22 03:34 AM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,813
J
jig master Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,813
I keep hearing a lot of buzz about lithium batteries especially for trolling motors. I have a 36 volt min kotta do I need 3 ? Also where is the best price and place to purchase them ? Can I use my bank charger 🔌 I use to charge the regular ones I have now to charge the lithiums. ?


Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: jig master] #14280278 02/10/22 03:53 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,231
G
grout-scout Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
G
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,231
Couple options, you can buy a single 36v battery, but they typically aren’t very many amp hours, some would have 2 of them. 3 -12v’s give you more flexibility and in an emergency, you buy a cheap Walmart battery to replace a bad lithium battery. (This is short term, emergency situations). Very few chargers are lithium rated, find a lithium you like and ask what chargers they recommend. Minnkota precision are lithium approved, noco genpro are compatible. I have one from Walmart that’s lithium compatible and an X2 charger that’s lithium approved.

If you buy a 36v battery, you need a 36v charger. If that charger goes out, you’re not getting one anywheres in a pinch.

Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: jig master] #14280315 02/10/22 04:16 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948

Take a look at our EG4 Lithiums. They are 12V 100 Ah in a group 24 series, 22 pounds apiece, and have Bluetooth monitoring from your cell phone via the app download.
$550.00 each.
I recommend going with three 12V 100 Ah for your trolling motor and a NOCO Lithium battery charger.

Noco GENPRO10X4
Battery Charger; For 12 Volt Batteries; 4 Bank Onboard Charger/ 10 Amp Per Bank; 120 To 240 Volt AC/ 50 To 60 Hz; 40 Amp Charging Current; 11.4 Inch Length x 2.8 Inch Width x 9.1 Inch Height
$499.00


https://shut-up-and-fish.com/gyll-lifepower4-12v-100-ah-lithium-battery/


[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]



Why do you need a lithium battery charger?

Many Boaters and RVers have turned to lithium batteries advanced technology to support their power needs for many reasons. They have many benefits compared with traditional deep-cycle lead-acid batteries. They weigh less, provide more power, have a longer lifespan, are maintenance-free, and are more environmentally friendly. You’ll also get a faster charge than with lead-acid batteries.
With all these benefits, suddenly, a lithium battery charger becomes essential. Let’s find out why!
What Is a Lithium Battery Charger?
Like the lead-acid charging system, a lithium battery charger is a voltage-limiting device that aids in batteries’ safe charging. But the similarities pretty much stop there.
The two battery types have different chemistry for creating energy, so they need corresponding chargers to meet those chemistry needs. Lithium battery chargers can safely charge lithium batteries at a much higher voltage (translation: faster charging!). At the same time, they give the chemical interactions within a longer lifespan (translation: fewer replacement batteries).
Can You Charge a Lithium Battery with a Regular Charger?
Can you? Absolutely. Should you? That’s a question that deserves a more detailed answer.
If you used a regular charger, the lithium battery would charge. However, it would charge far more slowly. Lead-acid chargers use a lower voltage by design. If they didn’t limit voltage significantly, batteries would overheat, leading to fire or even an explosion! But there’s more.
When considering lead-acid vs. lithium chargers, identify the voltage range of the two batteries. A resting lead-acid battery will reach full charge at 12.6V-12.8V. A resting lithium battery will not be fully charged until it reaches 13.3V-13.4V.
Because lead-acid chargers must use a lower voltage to charge batteries, they can only fill around 80% of a lithium battery, which is not good for the battery (nor for the RVer needing power!). It stresses lithium chemistry and reduces the battery’s lifespan.
So, not only will you need many more hours of charging time with a regular lead-acid charger, but you’ll also be “stressing” your lithium batteries in the process. These issues challenge two of the best benefits of lithium batteries!
Lithium battery chargers will charge the corresponding batteries five times faster than a lead-acid charger. If that’s not reason enough to support this upgrade, let’s consider a few other factors.
The voltage of lead-acid deep-cycle batteries continuously falls as they discharge as well as with increased load.
That’s not true of lithium-ion batteries, which can provide peak power, as well as constant voltage no matter the load. A lithium battery charger aids the battery’s efficiency and storage process.
As mentioned previously, the voltage range of lead-acid vs. lithium batteries matters. Because a lead-acid battery is full at 12.7V-12.8V, most lead-acid chargers won’t start bulk charging again until the battery’s charge drops below 12.5V-12.7V. So, if you use a lead-acid charger for your lithium battery, you’ll have to use almost all of your lithium battery’s stored energy before a lead-acid charger starts charging it again.
What does this look like to the average Boater and RVer? Let’s use an example related to solar charging to illustrate.
Even if the sun is shining brightly, a lead-acid solar charge controller won’t start charging a lithium battery until the charge has dropped sufficiently. It will remain in float charge, and you’ll lose the benefit of the sun’s power to recharge your batteries during daylight hours!
This is just one of many examples showing you need a lithium battery charger if you use lithium batteries.


[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: jig master] #14280352 02/10/22 07:29 AM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,813
J
jig master Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,813
Shut up and Fish. So roughly 2 k for everything to get me taking care of ?


Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: jig master] #14280468 02/10/22 01:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 35
S
Shalor Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 35
I have a monster Marine lithium 36 V 50 amp hour battery on my Haynie Magnum which is a bay boat. I have only had it about four months but so far I have been very happy. I’ve never ran out of juice. Granted I don’t usually troll all day. Probably have trolled four or five hours with it and never came close to running out. I also have the power pro charge system… which is pretty pricey. But it charges the trolling motor battery while you run. Fishing on the coast sometimes I make long runs of 45-60 minutes or more which put pretty significant charge into my battery after the cranking battery is fully charged. Plus it will transfer over a start if your cranking battery is dead. I think the battery was $1000. It looks like they’re out of stock right now. So far I’m very happy I did not get three gel batteries that are now up to I think $ 299 apiece. I bet Shut up and fish system is better for trolling all day. Also, the battery weighs 33 pounds. Which replaced 3 44 lb gel batteries.

Last edited by Shalor; 02/10/22 01:31 PM.
Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: jig master] #14281201 02/11/22 12:03 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948
Originally Posted by jig master
Shut up and Fish. So roughly 2 k for everything to get me taking care of ?


$2150.00 cash price, local pickup. Additional cost if shipped.


[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14281526 02/11/22 08:55 AM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,813
J
jig master Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,813
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish
Originally Posted by jig master
Shut up and Fish. So roughly 2 k for everything to get me taking care of ?


$2150.00 cash price, local pickup. Additional cost if shipped.


Ok thanks and by the way I just received my live scope pole ducer extender handle with swivel from you that I ordered !! I had the ole original threaded rod with the black knob I purchased from you back when you first started selling them. Anyways let me look into this battery business stuff and thanks again.

Last edited by jig master; 02/11/22 08:59 AM.

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14281863 02/11/22 03:03 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,121
S
Slewfoot Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
S
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,121
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

Take a look at our EG4 Lithiums. They are 12V 100 Ah in a group 24 series, 22 pounds apiece, and have Bluetooth monitoring from your cell phone via the app download.
$550.00 each.
I recommend going with three 12V 100 Ah for your trolling motor and a NOCO Lithium battery charger.

Noco GENPRO10X4
Battery Charger; For 12 Volt Batteries; 4 Bank Onboard Charger/ 10 Amp Per Bank; 120 To 240 Volt AC/ 50 To 60 Hz; 40 Amp Charging Current; 11.4 Inch Length x 2.8 Inch Width x 9.1 Inch Height
$499.00


https://shut-up-and-fish.com/gyll-lifepower4-12v-100-ah-lithium-battery/


[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]



Why do you need a lithium battery charger?

Many Boaters and RVers have turned to lithium batteries advanced technology to support their power needs for many reasons. They have many benefits compared with traditional deep-cycle lead-acid batteries. They weigh less, provide more power, have a longer lifespan, are maintenance-free, and are more environmentally friendly. You’ll also get a faster charge than with lead-acid batteries.
With all these benefits, suddenly, a lithium battery charger becomes essential. Let’s find out why!
What Is a Lithium Battery Charger?
Like the lead-acid charging system, a lithium battery charger is a voltage-limiting device that aids in batteries’ safe charging. But the similarities pretty much stop there.
The two battery types have different chemistry for creating energy, so they need corresponding chargers to meet those chemistry needs. Lithium battery chargers can safely charge lithium batteries at a much higher voltage (translation: faster charging!). At the same time, they give the chemical interactions within a longer lifespan (translation: fewer replacement batteries).
Can You Charge a Lithium Battery with a Regular Charger?
Can you? Absolutely. Should you? That’s a question that deserves a more detailed answer.
If you used a regular charger, the lithium battery would charge. However, it would charge far more slowly. Lead-acid chargers use a lower voltage by design. If they didn’t limit voltage significantly, batteries would overheat, leading to fire or even an explosion! But there’s more.
When considering lead-acid vs. lithium chargers, identify the voltage range of the two batteries. A resting lead-acid battery will reach full charge at 12.6V-12.8V. A resting lithium battery will not be fully charged until it reaches 13.3V-13.4V.
Because lead-acid chargers must use a lower voltage to charge batteries, they can only fill around 80% of a lithium battery, which is not good for the battery (nor for the RVer needing power!). It stresses lithium chemistry and reduces the battery’s lifespan.
So, not only will you need many more hours of charging time with a regular lead-acid charger, but you’ll also be “stressing” your lithium batteries in the process. These issues challenge two of the best benefits of lithium batteries!
Lithium battery chargers will charge the corresponding batteries five times faster than a lead-acid charger. If that’s not reason enough to support this upgrade, let’s consider a few other factors.
The voltage of lead-acid deep-cycle batteries continuously falls as they discharge as well as with increased load.
That’s not true of lithium-ion batteries, which can provide peak power, as well as constant voltage no matter the load. A lithium battery charger aids the battery’s efficiency and storage process.
As mentioned previously, the voltage range of lead-acid vs. lithium batteries matters. Because a lead-acid battery is full at 12.7V-12.8V, most lead-acid chargers won’t start bulk charging again until the battery’s charge drops below 12.5V-12.7V. So, if you use a lead-acid charger for your lithium battery, you’ll have to use almost all of your lithium battery’s stored energy before a lead-acid charger starts charging it again.
What does this look like to the average Boater and RVer? Let’s use an example related to solar charging to illustrate.
Even if the sun is shining brightly, a lead-acid solar charge controller won’t start charging a lithium battery until the charge has dropped sufficiently. It will remain in float charge, and you’ll lose the benefit of the sun’s power to recharge your batteries during daylight hours!
This is just one of many examples showing you need a lithium battery charger if you use lithium batteries.









I'm ready!!! thumb

Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: Slewfoot] #14286345 02/16/22 01:13 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948

Originally Posted by Slewfoot



I'm ready!!! thumb


Looking forward to seeing you next week...


[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: jig master] #14287508 02/17/22 03:35 AM
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 143
S
Shady15 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 143
Those lithiums are nice, but dang….$1700+ out the door for three batteries?! I have to take up a cheaper hobby!,

No disrespect to you, SU&F, I know that’s just what they cost.

Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: Shady15] #14288119 02/17/22 07:35 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 5,508
The Crappie Guy Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 5,508
[/quote]No disrespect to you, SU&F, I know that’s just what they cost.[/quote]

You're right, they are expensive, but I bought four or these batteries, and can tell you that they're the 'real deal'. In almost two years of use, I have never been able to wear them down from use.

Last edited by The Crappie Guy; 02/17/22 07:36 PM.

"The Crappie Guy"







Re: Lithium Batteries [Re: Shady15] #14288425 02/18/22 12:58 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,948
Originally Posted by Shady15
Those lithiums are nice, but dang….$1700+ out the door for three batteries?! I have to take up a cheaper hobby!,

No disrespect to you, SU&F, I know that’s just what they cost.


No hard fellings taken...These are the lowest in cost 12v 100 Ah, in a group 24 series at 22 lbs with a 5-year warranty with Bluetooth monitoring battery you will find on the market at $550.00 each $1650.00 for three batteries. We have many anglers on the water, weekend warrior, tournament anglers, and guides running our batteries with great results.
thumb


[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3