Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Flatheads/yellow cat question [Re: grout-scout] #14272741 02/03/22 05:58 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
grout-scout,

You might want to check out my Lynn's Catfish Calendar thread. Usually in January of each new year's thread, I list the links to previous years since getting on TFF in mid 2010. YC are YellowCat days on my calendar. Separately is my PYC (Lynn's Personal YellowCat Days) according to their ingrained "Roam & Feed" pattern.

Yellows are most peculiar. They are basically loners, but do break their own rules from time to time. They are very cautious & suspicious if things don't look just right. Yet sometimes it seems they throw caution to the wind.

I am a set-liner, but there are a lot on here & elsewhere who Rod-n-Reel them using my calendar & the PYC days. I had two YellowCat teachers back in the late 70s & early 80s that taught me all they knew. However, due to my job at Western Company in 1981-1982, I started catching a lot of Yellows. It had to do with my days off.

Big Yellows settle into their region, spot or apartment. When one is caught, another moves in to take their place. Big Yellows tend to run certain paths (others refer to them as trails). I have one really big one I nicknamed "The Giant" on Lake Limestone. He runs the same path. By knowing when as per my calendar & my separate PYC days, I know exactly when & where to target him.

I have info on Yellows here & there in the Calendar threads. You would have to comb thru them. One TFFer here has done just that & utilizes everything and mastered R-n-R for big Yellows. I even have bass fishermen who also love to catch big Yellows come over here to get the calendar & other tips on Yellows from time to time.

As for me, I'm more partial to perch- goggle-eyed, blue/green, and such. However, back in 1981, one of my teacvhers was not having luck on perch, so I gave him a couple of super shiners (oversize shiners) I had gotten for 25 cents a pop that trip. Oddly they tore those super shiners up. He got a 35# and two 19 pounders, and more that Spring Break Trip.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Flatheads/yellow cat question [Re: grout-scout] #14272840 02/03/22 01:04 PM
T
T-MAC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Very nice!!

[Linked Image]

Take A Kid Fishing !!!
Re: Flatheads/yellow cat question [Re: grout-scout] #14272895 02/03/22 01:49 PM
G
grout-scout Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
G
Lynn, I’ll search for it and look it over, thank you for the info. cheers

Edit: found it and wow, that must take some time to do!

Last edited by grout-scout; 02/03/22 01:53 PM.
Re: Flatheads/yellow cat question [Re: grout-scout] #14274114 02/04/22 05:30 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
My two YellowCat teachers paved the way with all their knowledge on Yellows. However, all that knowledge did no good as. I rarely ever caught a Yellowshortly after that. Or at least right then. In 1982 that changed, due to my odd days OFF schedule. All of a sudden, I started catching Yellows. It got me to thinking. So I mapped out a plan to test my theory that there seemed to be some sort of YellowCat pattern that coincided with my certain days off--- 7 days on, 2 OFF (Tues/Wed), 7 days on, 2 days OFF (Thurs/Fri), 7 days on, 3 days OFF (Sat/Sun/Mon), then repeat. I had been put in the Cement division. If I had been put in the Stimulation division, it would have been different & I would have missed the pattern.

Since I was a river rat, I mapped out a plan to fish from Spring 1983 thru the Fall of 1985 (3 years to prove or disprove my hunch) on the Trinity River (campsite was about 25 bends down from TX Hwy. 21 bridge). While finding that I was correct, I also found an odd pattern to BlueCats as well. I also noticed that I seemed to be catching Gator Gars more, and on the YelowCat days as well.

Due to life's many twists & turns, I actually fished the Trinity River thru April 1986, then had to take a breather. It was not until July 2002 that I was able to get back to conduct Phase 2 of the Catfish Calendar, at Lake Limestone (out of Running Branch Marina for the Lake research). Plus I had also come up with a special design trotline for the lakes that I could put anywhere, which I called "The Planter". I even ran it by a Game Warden in mid 80s to make sure it would be legal. He thought it was most unique & said he did not see any problems with it. I had proved the calendar it worked on 3 rivers here locally. Next question was if it worked on lakes as well. From 2002 thru 2011, 2013-2014, and 2018 it did. Also in this period (2002-2011), I was able to confirm from others using it, that it worked in Oklahoma too, so I can figure it works across the USA, be it river or lake.

The one other thing I must wonder about, is whether it works (the YC and PYC days) in Europe for their sheatfish or Wells Cats, which are a mixture that looks like YellowCat up front & eel towards the tail. And if so, would the same days coincide, or move it ahead by one day. I may not get to research that, but can't stop wondering.

I'll be posting the February calendar this weekend on the LCC thread for 2022. I should have time since it is slightly chilly outside compared to last weekend.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide