Forums59
Topics1,037,865
Posts13,935,768
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: SenkoSam] #14264608 01/27/22 06:41 AM
S
SenkoSam Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
S
Good example of slowing the retrieve to get bass to strike - in your father's case - reeel slow!

That's the beauty of the skirted jig: the skirt's flair and slight movements: even at rest on bottom it holds a fish's attention long enough such that it finally has had enough and then BANG!

Last edited by SenkoSam; 01/27/22 06:48 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: SenkoSam] #14264812 01/27/22 03:14 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Iโ€™ve got to start throwing a jig again... quit years ago, canโ€™t remember why. Was fishing palestine yesterday.. throwing a spinner bait, made cast with spinner bait thinking to fish it like a jig.. slow dragging it on its side and feel the mush..

[Linked Image]
Boom... throwing a jig if I go today.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: SenkoSam] #14264830 01/27/22 03:25 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Too many variables to make a decision between one or the other. I will fish both if the conditions are right. Also some lakes are jig lakes and some aren't.

The biggest thing I have learned over the years is not to have blinders on. You have to be versatile to be a bass fisherman. You fish the conditions and the techniques that will get you bit. One day it may be a jig, and the next day it may be a drop shot.

Good example is one day I was fishing with a buddy at Fork. He was smoking me flipping tree from the front of the boat. Out of frustration, I decided to make a change and do something completely different. Tied up a drop shot and started flipping it. I started catching fish out of the same trees/bushes that he wasn't.

Just be versatile, and let the fish tell you what they want.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14266131 01/28/22 05:45 PM
C
coosa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
I used to be a T-rig fanatic but the past year I really started bearing down on the jig to bring my stringer weights up and once I got a feel for what the bite is supposed to feel like the jig has taken over in my arsenal. I'd fished it some every once in while in my early years but never had any success. Looking back I'd have to say I was probably getting bit, just didn't know it. It's a whole different deal from a T-rig worm bite. You'll get the bump bump bite like a T-rig but most of the bites are mushy like you are dragging the jig through a clump of grass or something similar.

I mainly fish for spotted bass here in Alabama, and I usually keep one rod rigged with a Texas rig and a ribbon tail worm and another with a shakyhead jig and a 5" Hit worm. There are some days that I get more bites with the T rig, but I would guess that about 75% of the time they prefer the Hit worm. Once the water gets below about 50 degrees, there isn't much point in even trying the T rig; the Hit worm will be much better. I noticed your post because of the way you described that "mushy" feeling when they hit a jig. I experience the same type of hit with the Hit worm on a shakyhead. I caught a bunch a few days ago in 44 degree water and every one of them came on the Hit worm.

I don't fish a skirted jig enough and probably need to start trying one instead of the T rig in cold water. I was wondering how you guys compare the skirted jig to the shakyhead with a Hit worm on it? The skirted jig with pork frog imitation has a bigger profile, and that could be good or bad, depending on the situation. I think the Berkeley powerbaits improve my odds over other plastics. I have thought of trying a Hit worm or a Flat worm as a trailer on a skirted jig. Anyone ever used them that way?

Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: SenkoSam] #14266727 01/29/22 02:02 AM
S
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
S
The Hit Worm and Flat Worm kinda resemble a Zoom Trick Worm. What's the difference?

The skirted jig with pork frog imitation has a bigger profile, and that could be good or bad, depending on the situation
That design trailer, regardless of size, has never put off the bite in my experience. The jig & trailer are too compact for bass to pass up and the delta-shaped legs provide just the right amount of action along with the skirt to get strikes from inactive fish.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 01/29/22 05:36 AM.
Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: Fish Killer] #14266749 01/29/22 02:12 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Fish Killer
Too many variables to make a decision between one or the other. I will fish both if the conditions are right. Also some lakes are jig lakes and some aren't.

The biggest thing I have learned over the years is not to have blinders on. You have to be versatile to be a bass fisherman. You fish the conditions and the techniques that will get you bit. One day it may be a jig, and the next day it may be a drop shot.

Good example is one day I was fishing with a buddy at Fork. He was smoking me flipping tree from the front of the boat. Out of frustration, I decided to make a change and do something completely different. Tied up a drop shot and started flipping it. I started catching fish out of the same trees/bushes that he wasn't.

Just be versatile, and let the fish tell you what they want.

+1

If the fish are biting a jig then I will stick with it.

Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: SenkoSam] #14267045 01/29/22 03:30 PM
C
coosa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by SenkoSam
The Hit Worm and Flat Worm kinda resemble a Zoom Trick Worm. What's the difference?

The skirted jig with pork frog imitation has a bigger profile, and that could be good or bad, depending on the situation
That design trailer, regardless of size, has never put off the bite in my experience. The jig & trailer are too compact for bass to pass up and the delta-shaped legs provide just the right amount of action along with the skirt to get strikes from inactive fish.

Berkeley claims that their Maxscent products, like hit worm and flat worm, put off a scent that attracts fish and makes them hold on longer when they bite. I don't know if that's true, but I do know that I've had days when fish would bite them better than anything else. I've also caught a good many catfish on a hit worm, and that seldom happened when using other plastics.

Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: coosa] #14267079 01/29/22 03:59 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
S
Too many variables to make a decision between one or the other. I will fish both if the conditions are right. Also some lakes are jig lakes and some aren't.The biggest thing I have learned over the years is not to have blinders on. You have to be versatile to be a bass fisherman. You fish the conditions and the techniques that will get you bit. One day it may be a jig, and the next day it may be a drop shot.

Some lures are more versatile for different conditions; some not so much. Being versatile and open-minded to what fish are biting and where can make all the difference between getting skunked and catching a few. Most lures have an optimum speed-of-retrieve and knowing which to use depends on knowing/ discovering which lures fish will or will not chase.

Good point FK.

Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: SenkoSam] #14269321 01/31/22 05:17 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

Re: Which do you prefer: skirted jig/trailer or plastic T rig worm? [Re: SenkoSam] #14270180 02/01/22 10:49 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I like 'em both.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide