Print Thread
Jerk Baits and Electronics #14236135 01/01/22 06:50 PM
S
Strat-a-Caster Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Just a fun couple outings here. I love winter time fishing. However, after these trips there are 2 things I need help with.

1. How to effectively get bit on the jerk bait. I know I caught 2 fish on it, but I threw it way more than what I showed and have not had as much success with it as I had hoped this winter. I have the Rapala Rip Stop 12 (3-5 feet suspending) and a few Jackall ReRange 110s (up to 8 foot Suspending).

2. When you see what you think are bass on your graph, how do you catch them? I tried drop shotting them, jig, cranking them? I see them often hanging out on the weed stalks, but when I stop to try and catch them, absolutely nothing.

Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Strat-a-Caster; 01/01/22 11:58 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14239799 01/05/22 03:22 AM
Cowpaw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
When you figure all that out let me know! Love the video and the message!

Cowpaw
Phillipians 1:21
Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14256091 01/20/22 01:33 PM
Gamedawg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Following... I need those answers as well

Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14256130 01/20/22 02:09 PM
T
TheHaydonSmith Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Having the same question… I can find bass and setup on them with no issue, but when i throw everything in the boat at them and they don’t eat it makes me wonder what I’m doing wrong… typically I start with a jig, drop shot, big spinner bait in the winter, and Texas rig…

Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14256160 01/20/22 02:50 PM
A
avid_basser Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
A
Good video thanks for sharing

Last edited by avid_basser; 01/20/22 02:50 PM.
Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: TheHaydonSmith] #14256653 01/20/22 08:28 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted by TheHaydonSmith
Having the same question… I can find bass and setup on them with no issue, but when i throw everything in the boat at them and they don’t eat it makes me wonder what I’m doing wrong… typically I start with a jig, drop shot, big spinner bait in the winter, and Texas rig…

Do you think it is possible they are not bass? I figured they are because of how they are suspending on the grass, but I have never caught one. Just got to keep at it I guess.

Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14256750 01/20/22 09:24 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Regarding electronics, in the past I have been most interested in depth/structure, and I can't say I relied to heavily on electronics. That said, I have been making an effort over the last few trips and I am having pretty good luck. My advice would be to start by make a quick stab when you see something, but not fixating on a spot or fish on the graph. We are typically moving, dragging/cranking away from the boat, whether that is a c-rig, ds, t-rig, crank, spinner, whatever. For fun, I started dropping my ds so I could see it fall on my graph and get an idea of how the lure suspends, popping it off the bottom to get an idea of depth, fall, etc. Building on that, while dragging, as I saw promising arcs on sonar (and corresponding blobs on di), I put down my "dragging" for a sec and drop the ds right on top of them for a cast or two. I have been having decent luck doing this, and it has provided confidence and an understanding of what is promising and what is not. I know this no huge formula for success, but without losing much time I am building confidence without fixating on one fish that may or may not bite. I am on a clear deep lake (Travis), and this is working from 15-45 ft of water. Some hit on the fall, some hit after a bump or two. A couple of cast and I am moving on. Gig'em

Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14256809 01/20/22 10:06 PM
C
C-ROW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
In my personal experience, which is not a ton.... I think a lot comes down to targeting fish while they are feeding. The first thing I've noticed after installing livescope over a year ago was that I will find fish that will just not bite. I learned to accept that and keep moving. Generally speaking, if they don't bite on 3 different presentations, they are not going to. It's the keep moving that is the hardest part. I've also pulled up on a school, sent down a dropshot and put 14lbs in the boat in 10 min. What i've found to be the most consistent method is to target schools around baitfish that are "balled up" if you are throwing a jerkbait. It's a sign that it is a feeding window. That is when I usually can trigger the most bites. The second most effective is when they are holding tight to structure or the floor. If there is decent current and I graphed a number of fish holding to the top of a point or a brushpile, I usually get one or two. The hardest fish to target by far is those suspended off a point. I've counted down swim jigs, drop shots, flutter spoons, hair jigs etc. I've never caught in numbers in this situation. I'm sure there are scenarios where these methods do in fact work, but I'm not spending more than 15-20 min trying to solve the puzzle. Outside of that, there are theories about how close you are to the fish. if you are scoping them out at 15-30ft they probably see you and if it's a slow day that's probably not gonna help. I always need to remind myself to look up. once you visualized how close 30 ft is, you understand that you probably wouldn't have targeted an area that close with out electronics unless we're talking depth. There are even theories that livescope creates a lot of "noise" and discourages bites. I can't comment on the validity of that, but I will say, I fished a pattern recently 4 days in a row on my fully loaded skeeter FX21 and my Tracker 175 and didn't catch nearly as many as the days I fished my 17ft Tracker with no electronics. Totally could be coincidence. This has happened a few times though so I might be buying into the superstition... wink

Anyways, good luck to figuring this out as I will be following this post for other's experiences

Re: Jerk Baits and Electronics [Re: Strat-a-Caster] #14258890 01/22/22 06:58 PM
S
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
The feedback is much appreciated. So far I am very new to the electronics so even seeing fish on the graph is something I am still learning. Also, most of the bodies of water I am learning on are smaller and lack structure, but have good grass. Maybe that changes some things. Using one bait over another when they are suspended on the grass stalks versus suspended over rock.

I agree with knowing and being willing to abandon fish on the graph is they simply are not biting. Getting bogged down on the graph can sometimes keep you from moving on to better chances elsewhere. As always learning new things each time I go out!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide