Forums59
Topics1,038,937
Posts13,955,868
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: Yankee_Bass] #14247887 01/13/22 03:36 PM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Yankee_Bass
Y'all tell me you've never fished Wisconsin without telling me you never fished Wisconsin. Texas does one thing and one thing only better, and that's Largemouth Bass.

Cuz we aren't exactly fond of fishing with a frozen scrot and rectum.

11 lbs. 3 oz.
Fishing Wisconsin
Species Weight County
Bass, Largemouth 11 lbs. 3 oz. Jefferson

Yeah...great fishing!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: fivebites] #14248074 01/13/22 06:39 PM
Y
Yankee_Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Don't forget:

Pike
Muskie (world record)
Walleye
Sauger
Saugeye
Largemouth Bass
Smallmouth Bass (bigger than Texas!)
Yellow Perch
Burbot
King Salmon
Coho Salmon
Pink Salmon
Atlantic Salmon
Rainbow Trout
Steelhead
Brook Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Tiger Trout
Lake Trout
Brown Trout
Lake Sturgeon

All of which available in Wisconsin, most world class potential, sometimes all in the same water systems. None of which are available in Texas except Largemouth Bass (which Texas does better)

And oh, 98% of Wisconsin water is public and can be fished without permission or fees. So yeah, for fishing, Wisconsin is in another class.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yankee_Bass; 01/13/22 06:43 PM.
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14248583 01/14/22 02:12 AM
fivebites Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Then move your yankee arse back up there. I'm happy here with a warm scrot and anal area! And could you please put up a copy of your invitation to Texas. Just giving you a hard time Yankee. Don't take it personal. But if you're gonna be on the TEXAS fishing forum...do Texas proud. We generally don't get on the Wisconsin Fishing Forum and tell you boys how we "did it in Texas".

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14248665 01/14/22 03:25 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
I don’t know, I guess we could mention every saltwater fish that is in the gulf along Texas and blow your species list away. Texas does have 5 species of Trout available, in cold water systems, which obviously isn’t very prevalent. But they are here. I think I’d choose warm over ice fishing, only weirdos like snow & ice.

Bet you don’t have these up north.

[Linked Image]

Or these.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by grout-scout; 01/14/22 03:47 AM.
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14248718 01/14/22 04:45 AM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
Got to agree with Yankee Bass, many more species available Wisconsin than in Texas. I go up there almost every year to fish Muskies, Northerns and Smallmouth. I don't like trolling or I would fish for Walleye for fish to eat. Although limits are so restrictive, it is hard to catch a "legal" fish. Yellow Perch are great to eat also. .

Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: Allen Bass Fisher] #14248902 01/14/22 02:48 PM
Y
Yankee_Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
This wasn't about "doing Texas proud" it was about comments like "why would anyone fish Wisconsin." Saltwater species is a big plus down here. As far as freshwater, Texas is at the top of the game for largemouth, no doubt. But that's all we have. Being able to find world class multi species in one trip is something y'all need to experience. Get out of your box. Go see the world. In the freshwater game, Wisconsin is near the very top. Those are just the facts.

Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14249357 01/14/22 10:24 PM
L
LastCastPodcast Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Ooooooo! This is a juicy thread!

I'm going to declare myself an expert on this topic, since I grew up in Wisconsin and have done most of my fishing in Texas. Here's bulleted comparisons:

Eating fish:
Wisconsin: yellow perch, lake run salmon and steelhead. Smoked whitefish in every grocery! This Lent, find your nearest Culvers and get the walleye, you owe that to yourself, yum!
Texas: Redfish grilled on the halfshell is probably my favorite dish, and maybe my favorite entity in the universe (sorry, mom!)

Bucketlist fish
Wisconsin: lawyer, the only freshwater cod species. Spear fishing through the ice for sturgeon on Lake Winnebago. The spring smelt run, which isn't as good since the lake trout rebounded from the lamprey infestion, but still . . .
Texas: 6-foot alligator gar. Freaking tarpon!

Fishing access
Wisconsin: 3000 trout streams, 15000 lakes! Legally enforced public access pretty much everywhere
Texas: I just counted them, Texas has 106 lakes. On the other hand, every creek and aquaduct in Texas holds sunfish and cichlids, which is super-fun on a fly rod. But the land owners will probably shoot you.

Gub'ment Regulations
Wisconsin: The DNR fishing regulations look like a phone book
Texas: A shocking amount of permissiveness. I mean, noodling? Really?

Climate
Wisconsin: Ice fishing is awesome! If you have an ice shack you're the king of the world. In practice, a lot of lakes are shut down most of the year while the water inverts
Texas: I look forward to swimsuit fishing every year when the temp climbs past 100

How Much You Catch
Wisconsin: I was up at Lake Monona last June for free fishing day with the fam, and I was pulling in the sunfish (what y'all call perch) on the squirmy wormies and making everyone jealous
[Linked Image]
Texas: A couple springs ago the fam came down to Corpus, and cleaned up on panfish and crabs. Ate all of it.
[Linked Image]

So after we add up all the totals, the answer to the question of which is better for fishing, Wisconsin or Texas is . . .
. . .
. . .
Whichever one you get to fish in.

Last Cast Podcast: Two TPWD-certified elite anglers. One canoe.
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14249388 01/14/22 11:05 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Yankee said Wisconsin blows away Texas in his first post (just saying). Google says that Texas has 14 more freshwater species than Wisconsin does. I don’t eat fish, they are nasty, all of them. Well, flounder is ok, crab and shrimp are superb. Now I’ll agree that we don’t have many lakes and true, we won’t ever have anyone stranded on ice. It might be hotter than hell in the summer, but I’ll take heat over cold anytime.

Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: LastCastPodcast] #14250290 01/15/22 07:31 PM
Y
Yankee_Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
See, that's what I'm talking about! Having the multi-species options, plus public access just puts Wisconsin (and the northern midwest) on another level. THAT BEING SAID, Texas is king of the hill (with CA) for Largemouth Bass. No question about it. Not even close. The Texas inshore deal is also up there. My point is that, while yes, Midwest weather can be a real challenge, it is entirely worth it if you want to experience world class multi-species fishing. The first time you have a big Muskie follow a bait and blast it next to the boat is the day you realize that Bass are just bait.

Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14250484 01/16/22 12:04 AM
Beak47 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I have eaten a LOT of pickerel as they call Walleye north of the border and I dont think Crappie can compete- especially when Walleye is cooked over an open fire during a “shore lunch”! But as a native Texan I still love Crappie and smaller Blue Cat when its cleaned thoroughly.

Hardcore Texan
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14251290 01/16/22 10:12 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
C
There is nothing in Wisconsin that draws my attention to it. Pike and Muskie, eh we have their cousin the gar. Smallmouth bass, ok that would be fun but if I’m traveling to catch them it ain’t Wisconsin I’m going to. Everything else, eh just not for me personally. To each their own.

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
I can backlash toilet paper.
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: ChanceHuiet] #14253326 01/18/22 05:04 AM
Y
Yankee_Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
LOL. Gar and Muskie aren't in the same universe. And Wisconsin and Michigan have the best Smallies fisheries on the planet. Door County, Lake Michigan is insane. It takes a 30# bag of brown to even place in many tournaments. Same with Northern Michigan.

Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: Yankee_Bass] #14253340 01/18/22 05:42 AM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by Yankee_Bass
LOL. Gar and Muskie aren't in the same universe. And Wisconsin and Michigan have the best Smallies fisheries on the planet. Door County, Lake Michigan is insane. It takes a 30# bag of brown to even place in many tournaments. Same with Northern Michigan.

What planet are you from? Our Gar will eat your smallies for breakfast and then have your muskies for lunch grill
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Oh BTW Wisconsin doesn't have any of these either
[Linked Image]

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: gar1970] #14253723 01/18/22 04:36 PM
Y
Yankee_Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
They are big and strong, yes. Sturgeon get just as big, or bigger. Muskies are an apex predator that will make you wet your pants when they smash a bait next to the boat. Dunking bait isn't much of a skill.

Re: Dozens of fishermen rescued in Wisconsin after big ice chunk breaks off in Green Bay [Re: CarlB] #14253755 01/18/22 04:46 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
How many Gar over 6 feet have you personally caught? There's alot more skill involved than just "dunking bait"

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide