Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14243635 01/09/22 04:08 AM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Damn I wish people wouldn't long arm a fish like this. It is really hard to see the true majestic beauty of a monster bass when you long arm a fish. What a beautiful fish, and kudos to the experience that was experienced. If they were my good buddy, I would have given them two barrels of [censored] for it. Keep doing what your doing, and thanks for sharing. You will enjoy it more when you know what I am saying. God Bless, and hope to see some footage of the battle. No need for a reply, that monster deserves all the glory..

To good knots, and the ability to yell "NET"...

Prosise

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14243667 01/09/22 04:38 AM
4D Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Congratulations on an awesome fish!! Tyler’s fish was amazing as well! Kudos to Tyler for being the first one on the thread giving props!!👍

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14243843 01/09/22 04:04 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Surprising to read that this man was a local. Based on the posts and replies I read on this forum I assumed all locals were catching teeners and DDs on the regular and just cutting them loose immediately since they dont need the fame or attention.

Congrats to angler on the amazing catch! Glad I got to see it photographed

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14243855 01/09/22 04:16 PM
BWG Offline
Angler
Angler
Wendell has been catching fish for a very long time. Expert fisherman.

Ivie is such a unique fishery. Two completely different river systems combine to bring an assortment of minerals/nutrients that obviously grow big fish. We can only pray the water level stays up and allows all of us to enjoy this fishery for a long time.

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: LakeForkLodge] #14244011 01/09/22 08:15 PM
Ken A. Offline OP
Groovy
OP Offline
Groovy
Originally Posted by LakeForkLodge
Originally Posted by Barrett
GOAT lake

What am I missing here? Doesn't goat stand for The Greatest of All Time? Fork has 30 in the top 50 and Ivie has 1. Now we're talking about a 20 lber?

I would not call Ivie the GOAT lake unless it surpasses Fork for numbers of fish in the Texas Top 50. That remains to be seen and is unlikely. There are a few old timers on here that got to experience Fork in her heydays of the late 80's & early 90's. I recall fishing a tournament on Fork in 1988 where a guy caught a 14 and didn't win Big Bass. There were THREE fish weighed in that day over 14 pounds! Two in that tournament and another across the lake at Mustang Resort.

The big difference today is that we know about the fish 15 minutes after it is caught thanks to social media. So we see a FB post about two 14's and a couple of 12's caught in a one week period and the guys that weren't around Fork 30 years ago think Ivie must be the GOAT lake.

My comment about a 20 pounder potentially from Ivie was simply due to the shape of Tyler's fish. Many will remember there were two over 20# found floating dead on Fork in the late 80's. There is not a doubt in my mind there were multiple fish exceeding 20# swimming around in Fork 30 years ago. I fear that window for Fork has closed.

With the new technology of Live Scope and the increasing number of folks chasing deepwater suspended fish has opened up a whole new world we never saw on Fork way back when. I have always maintained there were schools of offshore fish that never came to the bank, even to spawn, that would live & die having never been targeted. Case in point are the giants that have been landed by crappie fishermen, including the current State Record.

Live Scope is changing the game and there are some talented guys out there chasing those offshore fish with technology we never had before. I believe these fish may have never seen an artificial lure.

Let's be honest here: How many of you have ever been in 40'-70' of water fishing for suspended bass in Jan or February?? Not me.

Whether or not Ivie or any other Texas lake produces a new State Record remains to be seen. There are only 3-4 lakes in the state I feel have the potential to do so and as each year passes that window gets smaller.

I realize all the merchants around Fork have a vested interest. I consider many of you friends and I want to see all the private businesses succeed.

I would also dearly love to see a Texas lake produce a 20+ pound bass and stick it in the face of the West Coast guys.

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14244031 01/09/22 08:38 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Ken A.
GOAT lake

What am I missing here? Doesn't goat stand for The Greatest of All Time? Fork has 30 in the top 50 and Ivie has 1. Now we're talking about a 20 lber?

I would not call Ivie the GOAT lake unless it surpasses Fork for numbers of fish in the Texas Top 50. That remains to be seen and is unlikely. There are a few old timers on here that got to experience Fork in her heydays of the late 80's & early 90's. I recall fishing a tournament on Fork in 1988 where a guy caught a 14 and didn't win Big Bass. There were THREE fish weighed in that day over 14 pounds! Two in that tournament and another across the lake at Mustang Resort.

The big difference today is that we know about the fish 15 minutes after it is caught thanks to social media. So we see a FB post about two 14's and a couple of 12's caught in a one week period and the guys that weren't around Fork 30 years ago think Ivie must be the GOAT lake.

My comment about a 20 pounder potentially from Ivie was simply due to the shape of Tyler's fish. Many will remember there were two over 20# found floating dead on Fork in the late 80's. There is not a doubt in my mind there were multiple fish exceeding 20# swimming around in Fork 30 years ago. I fear that window for Fork has closed.

With the new technology of Live Scope and the increasing number of folks chasing deepwater suspended fish has opened up a whole new world we never saw on Fork way back when. I have always maintained there were schools of offshore fish that never came to the bank, even to spawn, that would live & die having never been targeted. Case in point are the giants that have been landed by crappie fishermen, including the current State Record.

Live Scope is changing the game and there are some talented guys out there chasing those offshore fish with technology we never had before. I believe these fish may have never seen an artificial lure.

Let's be honest here: How many of you have ever been in 40'-70' of water fishing for suspended bass in Jan or February?? Not me.

Whether or not Ivie or any other Texas lake produces a new State Record remains to be seen. There are only 3-4 lakes in the state I feel have the potential to do so and as each year passes that window gets smaller.

I realize all the merchants around Fork have a vested interest. I consider many of you friends and I want to see all the private businesses succeed.

I would also dearly love to see a Texas lake produce a 20+ pound bass and stick it in the face of the West Coast guys.

with the fish being released healthy, I wonder if maybe these giants can eventually get there? Did TPWD ever mention the estimated age of the ones caught last year? never really saw that mentioned, but I wonder how long itll take a 14/15 pound fish to get to 20. Then you wonder their age because if they arent old, you gotta figure theres other older fish who got a jumpstart on them and may be even bigger as these lunkers are being caught.

20 pounds is nuts to think about. All those giants all seemed to have very favorable conditions....like Ivie seems to have, just not sure its enough to get to 20 pounds. Thats a lot of meat! Im of the opinion the biggest fish in a lake rarely and probably never gets caught though...even with the current tech. Just like JJ and the others have mentioned, they dont always bite....maybe that lake giant has just always been smart enough to not bite when 99.9% of other bass would. I dont know, but like you mentioned the deep water and suspending I think people have a lot to learn about big bass behavior. Im pretty sure all anglers would say you were nuts if you told them teeners are suspending (and not deep from my understanding) over 50+ feet of water before last winter....but looks like thats part of the pattern.

This is great to follow and learn because this tech is, and should expand our knowledge a ton over what traditional thinking would dictate. I dont know about you all...but im still mind blown that they are catching them at/just after the coldest times of the year. Even the SAL guy mentioned that in the miliken video that he was surprised for the time of year. So traditional thinking says stay home and bundle up....but the DDs say its time to munch!!! Really is mind blowing and changing my thinking on bass fishing

Last edited by bockscar; 01/09/22 08:39 PM.
Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: bockscar] #14244041 01/09/22 08:54 PM
D
Darin S. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by bockscar

with the fish being released healthy, I wonder if maybe these giants can eventually get there? Did TPWD ever mention the estimated age of the ones caught last year? never really saw that mentioned, but I wonder how long itll take a 14/15 pound fish to get to 20. Then you wonder their age because if they arent old, you gotta figure theres other older fish who got a jumpstart on them and may be even bigger as these lunkers are being caught.

20 pounds is nuts to think about. All those giants all seemed to have very favorable conditions....like Ivie seems to have, just not sure its enough to get to 20 pounds. Thats a lot of meat! Im of the opinion the biggest fish in a lake rarely and probably never gets caught though...even with the current tech. Just like JJ and the others have mentioned, they dont always bite....maybe that lake giant has just always been smart enough to not bite when 99.9% of other bass would. I dont know, but like you mentioned the deep water and suspending I think people have a lot to learn about big bass behavior. Im pretty sure all anglers would say you were nuts if you told them teeners are suspending (and not deep from my understanding) over 50+ feet of water before last winter....but looks like thats part of the pattern.

This is great to follow and learn because this tech is, and should expand our knowledge a ton over what traditional thinking would dictate. I dont know about you all...but im still mind blown that they are catching them at/just after the coldest times of the year. Even the SAL guy mentioned that in the miliken video that he was surprised for the time of year. So traditional thinking says stay home and bundle up....but the DDs say its time to munch!!! Really is mind blowing and changing my thinking on bass fishing

Originally Posted by Westside.
I hate everything
Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14244048 01/09/22 09:00 PM
R
R83steve Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Wow. Beautiful fish

"Sometimes I guess there just aren’t enough rocks “.
Forest Gump
Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14244088 01/09/22 09:53 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Congrats to Mr. Ramsey!

[Linked Image]
Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Darin S.] #14244107 01/09/22 10:11 PM
F
Frank the Tank Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Darin S.

Archie was the GOAT

Jesus loves all of us
Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Frank the Tank] #14244169 01/09/22 11:31 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Originally Posted by Darin S.

Archie was the GOAT

Yes he is...

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14244177 01/09/22 11:41 PM
R
RunTX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
CONGRATULATIONS on that hawg, Mr. Ramsey!!!!

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14244190 01/09/22 11:49 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Ken A.
GOAT lake

Fork is and always will be the GOAT. I obviously didn't have as time on it as you did in it's heyday. But fished it a lot. I've also spent a bit of time on Ivie. It's an awesome lake and probably my favorite

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: Ken A.] #14244307 01/10/22 01:01 AM
T
tx6158 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
That’s awesome. Congratulations

Re: 14.92 a few mins ago at OH Ivie!! [Re: tx6158] #14244342 01/10/22 01:27 AM
T
Theroofingguy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I have a question about O.H. Ivie… What is making that lake kick out the big fish? I remember Fork from the mid-80’s and how it was kicking out the big fish. O.H. Ivie is the same age as Roberts or within a year or two, why isn’t Roberts kicking out tanks like Ivie? Was it how they were originally stocked or what?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide