Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Big baits for Big Catfish! #14241434 01/06/22 07:21 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Just dropped a new video guys! This was another fun one to make! Enjoy!

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14241466 01/06/22 07:50 PM
B
Blue Blazer 2400 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Absolutely Awesome bud. Jax you are the man. What brand dip net it that? When you hook a head piece do you nose hook or hook thru the back?

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14241486 01/06/22 08:04 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Epic!!!

Your kid did a great job reeling in that 40 pounder. I bet he slept well that night.

Excellent video Chris, these are really coming together now.

I dream about days like that.

PS I noticed how big that drift sock is. I bet that's an effort bringing that in.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14241597 01/06/22 10:23 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
When you start off with a net full of bait like that, you know it's gonna be a good day. Well done Chris. Best video yet.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14241645 01/06/22 11:41 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Thanks amigos! That’s what winter Catfishing is all about!

I hook those big heads through the jaw and up through the nostril Matt. If you hook it through the back it tends to helicopter more. The head is the only chunk I use, the rest I try to cut pieces that flutter and dance through the water with A more natural presentation. If I use a big body piece I’d like it to be hand sized and have a flapper on it so that it dances through the water when drifting. I believe a natural presentation where the bait flutters through the water lake and injured fish works much better when drifting or pulling boards than just a chunk. You can trigger a reactionary strike when it looks more natural. I hear guys say they love using the head but I get much better results of that whole filet with a stinger hook. I think all our big ones came off the filet last trip and when I fished with Tim at Twok. Those big fish just can’t seem to resist that big ol slab filet when it goes dancing by with a rattle.

Always a relief when you pull up to structure and see bait and fish piled up thick no doubt Tim. This was my 62nd video and I’ve learned a lot. It takes a long time to figure out how to capture the good moments that’s for sure! We fished for 360 minutes and caught 222 minutes of action footage. That was pretty much non stop action!!

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 01/07/22 05:40 PM.

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14241662 01/06/22 11:59 PM
B
Box Fish Hero Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
El Gato, Don't want to hijack your thread, but watching your videos... you seem to be dialed in pretty tight on the video making front. We have talked a couple years about getting setup to video some of our trips. I would like to be able to video 8-10 hours in a day... would love to have a camera aimed at the rods to video all the take downs (my favorite part of trophy catfishing). I have plenty of room and mounting options for camera and additional battery. Do you have any suggestions on a camera to start with, maybe even additional battery setup or what size SD cards I may need to capture a whole day on video? Wouldn't be opposed to swapping an SD card once or twice a day if that's what it takes. In your opinion, is this setup possible or reasonable? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated! Enjoy your video's, keep em coming!

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14241868 01/07/22 08:52 AM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Wow, you and Jax just tore em up! Great day on the water and great video. You're getting good at those man. Helps guys like us keep dreaming!

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: Box Fish Hero] #14241896 01/07/22 12:11 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Box Fish Hero
El Gato, Don't want to hijack your thread, but watching your videos... you seem to be dialed in pretty tight on the video making front. We have talked a couple years about getting setup to video some of our trips. I would like to be able to video 8-10 hours in a day... would love to have a camera aimed at the rods to video all the take downs (my favorite part of trophy catfishing). I have plenty of room and mounting options for camera and additional battery. Do you have any suggestions on a camera to start with, maybe even additional battery setup or what size SD cards I may need to capture a whole day on video? Wouldn't be opposed to swapping an SD card once or twice a day if that's what it takes. In your opinion, is this setup possible or reasonable? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated! Enjoy your video's, keep em coming!

B, I'll wait to see Chris' response to your question but I can tell you from fishing with him and from my own experience, your iPhone is your best friend when starting out. I bought a couple Go Pro knock offs and I missed more action than I caught. Santa brought Chris a new GO Pro 10 so I'll be anxious to see how it goes when he starts using it.

I know some of the bigger channels with lots of subs have thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in video equipment and editing software. I am certainly no expert but I have dabbled in it enough to know it ain't as easy as they all make it look.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14241987 01/07/22 02:17 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
When just starting out the iPhone is the easiest and most reliable Box Fish. Your videos will be short which means less footage to comb through when editing. The editing process can be a real pain in the ace and will take a long time to get used to. If your wanting to shoot an entire day of fishing then you will need to go with a GoPro 9 or 10. The problem with those is the short battery life but there are several ways to deal with that. You can get a remote battery station and plug your GoPro into that or you can get a yolo-tek mounting stick that plugs into the navigation light plug on the back or front of boat. The yolo works great but you only have those 2 options for your camera angles. I prefer the camera to be mounted towards the front of the boat so that it captures the rods and the action better. If you mount the yolo at the back nav plug you don’t see the rods if your fishing out the back but you see the anglers face. When I used to fish out the side of the boat this was a great mounting position but I fish out the back these days. I just got a new GoPro 10 and after speaking with some of my YouTube friends with big channels I bought a remote power station and large capacity memory cards so the GoPro can stay on all day without me messing with it. Maybe you are a tech guy and it will be easier for you but messing with a GoPro all day is a pain in the [censored] for me. To have make really good content you need a 2 camera system. Camera #1 that stays recording all the time and camera 2 that records different camera angles during action times. I mount my camera on the grab rail of my center console to capture most of my footage but this year it is my mission to get those other cool angles with camera #2. I thought trophy Catfishing was hard but trying to capture it on video is like trying to climb Mt Everest! Start slow and build your way up. Be prepared to lose a ton of big fish for an entire year. It’s going to drive you nuts. It used to take me 3-4 trips to get enough good material but now that I have some experience I can do a video for each trip. I’m 63 videos in and I’m just now getting the good stuff. I will drop you some links to some of the equipment and gear you will need to do these kind of videos you are wanting to do. Just remember that the more footage you have, the longer it’s going to take to comb through it for editing. Recording the footage is hard but editing all that material ain’t easy either! Will drop the links later today! Good luck! It’s a fun hobby but 1000x harder than I ever dreamed…

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14242047 01/07/22 03:17 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
This is an expensive hobby and I am not a techno guy but these are the ground level things you will need for all day recording. Make sure you get a camera with a foreword facing screen so you can frame your videos before recording. The GoPros are fairly user friendly but are serious power hogs so they need to be hardwired into a remote battery or you will be jacking around with little GoPro batteries all day instead of fishing.

Remote power Station
Go Pro10

512 Gb memory cards
Stationary clamp mount

Removable/Mobil clamp mount
Gooseneck for mobile clamp mount

Hi speed power cables

Yolo Tek all day power stick.

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 01/07/22 03:18 PM.

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14242058 01/07/22 03:22 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
PS…for all day video I shoot in 1080p. If you shoot in 4K or now 5k on new GoPro the data files are massive and will fill up your memory cards quick. There are remote memory stations you can buy but now your talking big bucks and hi tech stuff that is beyond my scope or ability. Someday soon this will all be easy but right now it’s still pretty high tech and a huge learning curve of information overload.

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14242073 01/07/22 03:37 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
When I was videoing my tournaments chasing the green fish, one of the best things that i was shown was to record on a loop. I do believe mine was set on a 5 min loop. Every time i caught a fish or filmed something that I wanted to keep I would hit the button on my Go-pro. This would stop the video and would start another one on a new file. Really handy to edit down 6-7 small files than having to go through 6-8 hours of video to get what you are wanting. I also ran the power to a USB port on my dash to keep it running all day.

Im sure thing have changed a little since I was trying to do it, but if the loop option is still there, it was a life saver.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: Fish Killer] #14242094 01/07/22 03:50 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Fish Killer
When I was videoing my tournaments chasing the green fish, one of the best things that i was shown was to record on a loop. I do believe mine was set on a 5 min loop. Every time i caught a fish or filmed something that I wanted to keep I would hit the button on my Go-pro. This would stop the video and would start another one on a new file. Really handy to edit down 6-7 small files than having to go through 6-8 hours of video to get what you are wanting. I also ran the power to a USB port on my dash to keep it running all day.

Im sure thing have changed a little since I was trying to do it, but if the loop option is still there, it was a life saver.

I tried the loop technique but continually forgot to push stop and was constantly missing my biggest fish and best footage. Not to mention that every time I would have to press a button on a go pro there is a huge chance of screwing something up which used to drive me insane. I quit looping all together and started tagging with the voice command. Just say GoPro HiLight and it will tag that piece of footage. There are also 2 secret commands to highlight which are “Oh $hit, and That Was Sick”. They both will tag that footage as a hi-light.

The time stamp on the GoPro you can cross reference with the footage and photos on your phone which really helps in the editing process. GoPro breaks your long videos down into 10 minute clips to help you edit. This all takes quite a bit of getting used to. It’s been a long bumpy road with lots of cursing!

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 01/07/22 03:56 PM.

Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14242107 01/07/22 03:58 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

I tried the loop technique but continually forgot to push stop and was constantly missing my biggest fish and best footage. Not to mention that every time I would have to press a button on a go pro there is a huge chance of screwing something up which used to drive me insane. I quit looping all together and started tagging with the voice command. Just say GoPro HiLight and it will tag that piece of footage. There are also 2 secret commands to highlight which are “Oh $hit, and That Was Sick”. They both will tag that footage as a hi-light.

Well if "Oh Shet!!" was a secret command, then my videos would be full of tags I didn't know about. Seems that is always getting muttered or screamed on my boat... Good or Bad, but mostly Bad.

Didn't know they would do that, but then again your using a lot better versions of the cameras than I had. I think mine were the OG or maybe 2nd version that ever came out. Also the editing software you use makes a big difference on what your doing. So many out there, that will do so much more than what I was wanting to do.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Big baits for Big Catfish! [Re: Fish Killer] #14242121 01/07/22 04:08 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
The old GoPros didn’t have voice command. I think they started that Technology around four or five. I believe it’s the newer ones that have the secret command 8,9 and 10. The more I have to mess with a GoPro the more curse word fly and I have to watch my language around my 6 yr old or he will be cursing like a sailor. When I see footage from someone that has good skills with a GoPro makes me jealous and I wish I could get that kind of cinematic quality but it’s just too difficult for my skill set. I have to just set it up and hit record or I screw it up 100% of the time. I get my action footage on my iPhone. This year my videos will improve dramatically I can guarantee that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide