Print Thread
love this beating - for your reading entertainment #14233067 12/29/21 04:47 AM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
I am sitting in my recliner at home, sore hands - pecking on a keyboard, looking at pictures of toads from our friends here. Wondering what I am doing wrong. I guess the first thing wrong is sitting in a recliner rather than still out on the boat, right?

I got to go fishing the last couple of days, and it was a beating overall. Was by myself both days. Pretty weather most would say, and peaceful - other than the chaos.

80+ temps, 20 mph winds (changing direction whenever it wanted to), little rain and lot of sun. Water temps in the coves 66-67 degrees, main lake 62-63 in places, never found it under 61. Burned a lot of gas, looked at those dang graph screens until my head hurt. Worst part is I think I am going to have to have "Tommy Johns" surgery from throwing that dang cast net so much!

Got to the lake Sunday night, caught a little bit of bait around the dock, got the boat ready for an early launch on Monday. Coffee maker went off at 5:30 and it was game on. Figured I would go get a little more bait, and then had a couple of places in mind to start scanning, due to the wind. Had been from S-SW for a few days, so everything should have been in a pattern, right? Except it felt like May more than late Dec.

After throwing the dang net until arms were tired, picking up a shad here and there, mostly small, I had enough to start. Forgot to mention all the baby catfish I kept finding in the net... sharp finned little devils! Then looking for fish was just like looking for bait... they got to be here somewhere...

Monday was a lot of looking and not much catching. Fished about 4 hours in the morning, and zero. Went and got some lunch, got some gas and checked in with a few friends looking for help... Heard Tim had caught a nice one shallow. Let's go that route? Fished a couple of different areas in the afternoon until dark. Caught one small eater. At least it did not smell like skunk, but was a long hard day fighting the wind, multiple socks and trolling motor trying to stay where we should be (guess it was NOT where we should have been). Reminded myself that fresh 30 lb big game does not break easy, and will cut you like a knife when hung up... Also, how in the world does your line come off of one of those dang curly tail swivels on a planer board? Hard to get them on and off when you want to. But some how had one come undone after about a 20 minute drift. Just floated away? I know I put the line in it and in the clip. Was dragging just like it was made to, but all the sudden it floated away? Fish with fingers playing with it maybe??? Did not break off, still had complete rig, minus the planner board. That was fun, trying to dip net it around docks, with white caps and wind, by myself. But got it back and did not hit anything - win! Oh, forgot to mention the idiots on jet ski's... about cut one of my boards off. What the hell are they doing out here in late December... oh yea, it is 80 degrees.

Got some sleep, thought about it, and had a plan for the morning. Of course that included throwing the dang net a lot more than I wanted to... but finally had a couple of good throws with a handful of nice 8" shad... and one nice 10 lb buffalo that went into the box (bait today and bagged and froze some for later). Started in a channel with flats - 20-25'. Saw some bait and marked a few fish, but bite was slow. Moved to another shallower flat, try again. Nothing. Make a boat run, up into a big creek area, start in about 16' - 64 degrees, with wind blowing me up shallow. About half hour and at 7' had a good bite. After a nice little fight, had an 11 pounder in the boat. Took pictures of that trophy! That many hours, I was dang glad to have it! Released. Few minutes later, had one of my big boards get smoked! Had a big whole 10" drum on it and stringer hooked. Started reeling, and rod was loaded up and then nothing! What happed was all I could keep thinking. Reeled everything in and front hook was torn out of the head, and stringer hook had turned into the bait. Guessing the fish hit it hard, and just unlucky that my front hook did not get it, and even luckier that the stringer hook buried in the bait. While all this was going on, I felt the boat bump something... oh yea, we are blowing into real shallow water, and maybe some stumps, etc. Trolling motor bounced off something. Comedy show of how fast can you get 5 rods in, pull three socks up, while trying not to get stuck in the mud. Wind was 15+ and white capping at this time. Spot lock did help, other than spinning me around and tangling everything... But we made it out without destroying anything.

Decided to head back towards the dock, as it was getting close to lunch time. Wind was right to drift some of the cove I stay in, and we tossed everything out again. 12' going shallower as we floated. Got back within about 100 yards of my dock, and had a rod go down hard. Nice 5. Few minutes later, another rod and a 7. In about 3-4' of water. Maybe on to something... (Remember, I can about see my dock from here, after burning 25 gallons of gas in last 2 days!). Wife loved hearing that..."honey - you seem to catch more fish here close than all those other places. Why do you go so far away?".

So, we are onto something here, nice Shallow flat. I spot lock and start putting out baits. Had 4 rods out, putting fresh bait on 5th rod and #2 goes down. 4 pounder. Sun popping in and out over last half hour, all the sudden is out full and hot. About 5 minutes later, another 4 pounder. After over 12 hours of fishing, I have now caught 4 nice eaters in about 20 minutes... Thinking I will do this a while. I am turning everything loose, so just fun catching fish! Did I mention the sun had came out bright, and we are in 3' of water, casting into shallows. Another 30 minutes, and moved around in the cove a little, and not another bite. But maybe a little sunburn! Oh yea... another dang jet flea buzzing around. About time to start casting a 2 oz bank sinker in random directions... LOL

OK, got to get back to the real world for a couple of days... Put everything away, put my bags of buffalo in the freezer, and clean up. Cuts on hand burn with soap...

While it was a lot of work, and no big fish on the boat, would not trade it for anything! Love this life!

Now the biggest question for the next few days is do I go fishing again this weekend in the cold front we have forecast, or do I go deer hunting. Son wants to go hunting, and I am out of venison in the freezer... have some fish still. Got a spot that should have some pigs and deer, that has not been hunted all season. I put corn in the feeder a month ago and have not checked it since (2 hours away)... what are the odds it is working?

Am I the only one excited to see 20's in the forecast?

OK, took me long time to type this, many interruptions, ball game, dinner, etc. Sorry if I repeated too much... also my hands hurt. Old age sucks! LOL

Stay safe everyone!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233076 12/29/21 05:16 AM
E
Ed-n-eddy Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
E
Great story, well told too.
roflmao thumb

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233089 12/29/21 05:39 AM
B
Briansz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I was really entertained reading this. Sort of reminds me of how much sense it makes to tie 8oz of lead onto a 12' rod to cast 100 yards out versus the guys that come into my cove with $50K glitter boats to toss a lure under the dock. I'm really trying to not think about how my PB blue hit 6 yards from the bank.

hammer

Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233124 12/29/21 11:28 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Oh boy, story of my life lately!

I feel your pain bro.

Searching for bait, searching for fish, fighting the wind, finding the depth.

These catfish are gold plated specimens by the time we catch them.

But as you say, every trip is a blessing and even when it’s fishing not catching just bobbing around on the water, it’s still a good God given day.

Nicely written and thanks for sharing.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233208 12/29/21 01:35 PM
S
skeetmaster Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Ken, reading this I felt like you were writing my biography! My wife and yours could be related lol. Last time I went with her I decided to prove my point. I started drifting 100 yards from the boat ramp. My plan was, after drifting for 20 minutes without a bite, to say "see, it's not as simple as that". Problem is, we had 4 fish in the boat after that 20 minute drift. I almost threw my graph(and something/someone else) in the water after that!

I hunt 2 hours from here as well. I think you should definitely go get you some venison especially if your son wants to go. A weekend hunt with your boy would be worth more than a good day on the water without. I think Saturday the deer are really gonna be moving. They know what's coming better than we do. Just writing this makes my mouth water thinking about some chicken fried back strap.

As far as the fishing goes, we're gonna have 20-30 mph winds this weekend. I think Thursday and Friday are going to be really good days to fish and then I think there's gonna be some lockjaw for a couple of days. I really wish I could fish Monday or Tuesday next week. Dang job keeps getting in the way. Bluecat Bob-no comment! I'm sure you'll be floating around somewhere out there. Anyway, great story Ken. Good luck whatever you do. Go make some memories man!!

Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233217 12/29/21 01:39 PM
C
crapyetr Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
so i sit on my new fishin' dock, throw out some range cube chum and just cubes and sit there waiting for the cats 2 come 2 me...duzn't take long and start

ketchin' 1 1/2 pounds up to 3 lbs...me and Stubby's...easy peasy...if they don't bite, go bak 2 the house, eat suma my wife's chochip cookies, go bak 2

the dock and repeat...no monsters, but at least i get 2 c the cork go under

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233709 12/29/21 10:05 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Great story Ken. Blue cattin ain't easy! Keep at it and the toads will come!

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233780 12/29/21 11:51 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233814 12/30/21 12:29 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Good stuff Ken!!! I’m laughing because all hardcore Trophy Bluecatrs have been in your shoes at some point buddy! I can’t tell ya how many times I’ve left the lake wondering what the heck just happened. Sure catching eaters will help ease the pain but it’s those Toads were really wanting to hug. It’s all those tail whipping that makes you learn. This is a tough year even for the best anglers but you got what it takes, just need to get some experience under your belt and that takes time. I couldn’t imagine trying to get things figured out in these conditions amigo! Like Tim said, Bluecatn ain’t easy and trophy Bluecatn is even 10 times more difficult. You got my number and feel free to give me a call anytime while your on the water. I’d be happy to pin the topo map and help you with bait and fish locations or help you game plan your lake. Im not the best bluecatr in the world but we have a good amount of success on pretty much any lake we fish. Building consistency at catching big fish takes many years and lots of beatings. Lords knows I’ve taken my fair share!

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 12/30/21 12:33 AM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: love this beating - for your reading entertainment [Re: KEGracing] #14233998 12/30/21 04:29 AM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Can't thank all of you enough. This blue cattin aint easy is an understatement! LOL But I love it And it is the toads I am looking for right now. Willing to put in the work and time, and sure not afraid to ask questions. Know it will take some time... but some days are easier than others!

This stuff is a lot like the higher level racing I was doing and bow hunting big whitetails. Just when you think you have a plan something happens out of left field and you sit there and wonder what that was and how it happened.

And some days it is just easier not to tell the wife everything! LOL But in all fairness, mine puts up with all my hobbies and headaches pretty good. Been around a long time now, so I guess she is going to keep me, even with the addictions I have!

I enjoy sharing the good, bad and ugly with friends on here that understand! Always good to laugh and cry with your friends!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide