Page 1 of 2 1 2
Line for White Bass #14227966 12/22/21 04:49 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
White type of mine do you use? I have a bunch of 12# clear mono around but I am concerned that might be too big. I don't exactly fish in clear water so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14227975 12/22/21 05:03 PM
L
lenahorse Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
10-12

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14228196 12/22/21 08:46 PM
Dennis Christian Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
10 or 12 lb fluorocarbon.

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14228525 12/23/21 02:14 AM
Holding The Line Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by BrianTx01
White type of mine do you use? I have a bunch of 12# clear mono around but I am concerned that might be too big. I don't exactly fish in clear water so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

BrianTX01, I prefer braided line. I use Sufix 832. Braided line is a zero-stretch product, so, whatever happens on one end gets transferred to the other end making it much more sensitive than the more stretchy monofilament.

Braid has a high strength to diameter ratio, meaning it is strong, but thin. For example, braided line the same diameter of 8 pound test monofilament will typically have a breaking strength of 20 pounds.

This smaller diameter helps it to sink more quickly due to reduced drag.

The Sufix 832 comes in many colors. I prefer the blue-and-white Coastal Camo. The alternating colors help you see that the line is moving as it rests on the water's surface. Solid colored lines don't do that as well. So, for example, after you make a cast and you are waiting for your lure to fall to bottom, this blue-and-white line will move across the water away from your rod tip as the lure pulls line off your spool.

Braided line is very durable. I fish ~220 trips each year and normally keep a spool of braid for 2 seasons. I'll get one season on the spool, then remove the line, reverse it, and fish another year with that portion which was previously buried deep in the spool.

Braided line is also very limp. For this reason, I typically use a short 2-3' fluorocarbon leader to keep the braid from getting tangled on my lures, stinger hooks, blades, and snaps.

If you decide to use braid, just let me know and I'll share some tricks of the trade with you.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

[Linked Image]

Find MAL Lures and Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs here: White Bass Lures

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14228716 12/23/21 01:08 PM
BPKlein Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Suffix 832 30 pound (braid) tied to a 10 pound Berkeley Big Game (mono) leader.

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14228915 12/23/21 04:23 PM
R
RoadRunnerTR21 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
R
Seaguar Invizx 12lb test for Mepps and slabbing. I use 65lb test braid for trolling.

[Linked Image] Light Blue 19 CPX
Re: Line for White Bass [Re: Holding The Line] #14229185 12/23/21 10:38 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Holding The Line
Originally Posted by BrianTx01

BrianTX01, I prefer braided line. I use Sufix 832. Braided line is a zero-stretch product, so, whatever happens on one end gets transferred to the other end making it much more sensitive than the more stretchy monofilament.

Braid has a high strength to diameter ratio, meaning it is strong, but thin. For example, braided line the same diameter of 8 pound test monofilament will typically have a breaking strength of 20 pounds.

This smaller diameter helps it to sink more quickly due to reduced drag.

The Sufix 832 comes in many colors. I prefer the blue-and-white Coastal Camo. The alternating colors help you see that the line is moving as it rests on the water's surface. Solid colored lines don't do that as well. So, for example, after you make a cast and you are waiting for your lure to fall to bottom, this blue-and-white line will move across the water away from your rod tip as the lure pulls line off your spool.

Braided line is very durable. I fish ~220 trips each year and normally keep a spool of braid for 2 seasons. I'll get one season on the spool, then remove the line, reverse it, and fish another year with that portion which was previously buried deep in the spool.

Braided line is also very limp. For this reason, I typically use a short 2-3' fluorocarbon leader to keep the braid from getting tangled on my lures, stinger hooks, blades, and snaps.

If you decide to use braid, just let me know and I'll share some tricks of the trade with you.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

[Linked Image]

Find MAL Lures and Bladed Hazy Eye Slabs here: White Bass Lures

How do you connect the leader to the braid?

Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14229340 12/24/21 02:13 AM
Holding The Line Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
BrianTX01, great question. To connect the fluorocarbon leader to the braided main line I use back-to-back 6-wrap Uni-knots.

Here is a link to tying this knot. Just click where it says "Watch on YouTube":

Be sure to burn the cut end of the braid with a cigarette lighter to keep it from fraying out.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14229544 12/24/21 01:49 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
6# braid on a 7’ light action rod with 750 or 1000 size spinning reel, or 4# Stren original on the Aldebaran BFS with a 6’-9” light action rod. Prospect for the fish with the conventional gear. When you find them, 4# fluorocarbon tippet oh half weight or 2 weight fly rod. Whites are perfect for light tackle. A 15” or 16” sow on a half weight fly rod is major fun.

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14229628 12/24/21 03:21 PM
learnin to fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
You need heavier than 6# for white bass. The white bass won’t break that line but it’s very uncommon for me to fish for white bass and not catch a hybrid, striper or largemouth of significant size. You would hate to have too light of line and lose a nice fish. My wife caught a 13# hybrid while white bass fishing. I caught a 11.88# largemouth while white bass fishing. I sure am glad we had heavier line on our reels. We catch LOTS of hybrids when we white bass fish. We use 10# typically and sometimes 12# mono.

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14229893 12/24/21 10:21 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
B
I spooled my spinning reels up with the 12# mono I had. I will be reviewing the $9 reel I found on Amazon shortly.i am expecting a big bang for the buck ..lol.

Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14230207 12/25/21 12:55 PM
P
prosise Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I have tried many, many different line setups for whites. I primarily fish Grapevine lake, which doesn't have the monster whitebass like Tawakoni. But we had no issues with this same setup there. Only thing, if you cross paths with a big hybrid or striper it will get interesting. For baitcast reels I have settled on 12lb fluoro, works really good and has the sensitivity that I like. Also, it can take abuse if you cross paths with bigger fish. Me and my son had some truly epic fishing trips this year, and line was never an issue. Little tip for you guys using fluoro, which is costly. I spool up reels with 6-8lb backing so that I dont have to waste the expensive stuff. I also put on enough backing on the spool to allow the fluoro to never get down to the knot between the fluoro and the mono backing. When the fluoro starts to get beat up enough that it needs to be swapped out, I flip it. I tie the end of the line to the side of the boat, i will idle and let the line pull off the reel. When the line pulls out enough to get to the knot at the backing, i cut the line at the knot and let it pull out into the water. I then take the end that i tied to the boat (worn end) and tie it to the backing with a (Alberto knot). I then reel the fluoro back into the reel (used end first) and now the end is new. I do this with all my reels using fluoro, and braided. You get double your moneys worth.

For spinning rods (med action) reel spool sizes 2000 and above I have settled in on 10lb castking braided from amazon. I tie a 20lb leader to the 10lb braid so that I can grab the heavy line when handling fish. The end closest to the fish really takes allot of abuse. You run across bigger fish occasionally, so the bigger line helps. I attach the 20lb fluoro leader to the 10lb braid with the alberto knot as well but I only do 8 wraps ((see steps 2 & 3 in picture)). Just make sure you pull the lines hard to set the knot.

Spinning reels sized 1000 spools. 6lb castking braided tied to a small swivel and 12# or bigger leader. The 6lb doesn't do well with the alberto knot. But the 6lb braid will cast farther than anything, anyone want to put up a dollar bet against this just let me know. With the same size (small cordell spoon) I can spool the reel to the backing. It's really suprising to see how far it casts.. (note) this works well but you really need to pay attention to line twisting. When the line starts twisting up when it is loosely coiled you need to untwist it. Just cut the bait and let line out as you idle your boat, let the line out until you get most of the line off the reel. Close the bail on the reel and keep idling, simply reel the line back in (without a bait) and it will unwind the badly twisted line. I also do this on land, just do the same thing on grass. If you don't pay attention to the twisted line you will get a wind knot. Its impossible to recover from a bad wind knot.
[Linked Image]

Yeah, fluoro is expensive. But it has less stretch, and it sinks. Best bang for your buck is mono by far, just stay with a good brand. You get what you pay for. If you use too large of line on a spinning reel, your cast distance will suck. And a short cast means less fish. "He who casts the farthest when they are schooling, catches more". If you ever want to chew the fat on the water, just let me know. I can show you about 6 different setups with line, and how each can help you. I primarily fish grapevine, but I am on safari fishing all over Tx for the next couple of months working the big green girls (largemouth).

Fluoro sinks, and will get you down better. Mono floats, but is prob better bang for your buck. With that said, i am using about 5 different types of fluoro and really havent had many problems. I like 12lb invizx, but if you make sure you get 100% fluoro line you will be better than fluoro coated. For mono light line, i wouldn't use anything but the low memory trilene extra limp 4, 6, or 8lb lines. But i like the braided so much, if you take care and watch for coiling it lasts a long time.

I actually pull off line onto spools when I change up or down in line size. This way I can re-use it.

Prob more than you wanted in line info, but it makes a tremendous difference in the long run.

For bass this time of the year I am 17lb, 20lb, and higher for them big girls.

Take care

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 12/25/21 12:55 PM.
Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14232156 12/28/21 04:36 AM
S
Slick Rick ‘06 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
These are great posts with good info. Y’all don’t know how much I appreciate all the passing down of knowledge and tips to help the ones new to fishing.

You ain’t gonna catch any sittin’ on the couch.
Re: Line for White Bass [Re: BrianTx01] #14232385 12/28/21 03:55 PM
B
bigcheessee Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I keep it simple. 10-12 lb test mono. Pick a brand. I have bought some that feels like it's been on the shelf for a year.

Re: Line for White Bass [Re: learnin to fish] #14232835 12/29/21 12:54 AM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by learnin to fish
You need heavier than 6# for white bass. The white bass won’t break that line but it’s very uncommon for me to fish for white bass and not catch a hybrid, striper or largemouth of significant size. You would hate to have too light of line and lose a nice fish. My wife caught a 13# hybrid while white bass fishing. I caught a 11.88# largemouth while white bass fishing. I sure am glad we had heavier line on our reels. We catch LOTS of hybrids when we white bass fish. We use 10# typically and sometimes 12# mono.

I generally only fish creeks during the spawn; I’m 99% salt water oriented. But when I used to fish a lot of fresh water I caught quite a few stripers, and a few hybrids, on 4# and 6# line. I didn’t need 10# or 12# line then and I don’t need it now. I guess you do, though………

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide