texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Scott Clifton, Benny33714, Kalvis, JBowie20, RSF
117843 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 112,173
hopalong 110,133
Bigbob_FTW 85,824
John175☮ 83,780
Pilothawk 82,608
Derek 🐝 67,933
Mark Perry 67,872
JDavis7873 67,414
Bob Davis 64,064
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics1,149,630
Posts15,697,628
Members142,843
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Congestive Heart Failure #14225121 12/19/21 04:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
R
racing75 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
Anyone on here have this? I had a heart attack at the end of June. After getting released from the Dr, I kept noticing swelling in my legs, bloating, and trouble breathing. Got so bad one night I had to go to the ER. That’s when they told me I had CHF. Been back about 3 times with the same problem. Stayed a week in the hospital the last time. Was good for a while but now I’m back to the bloating, swelling, and trouble breathing. Is this how this stuff works? Good days and bad days? I take breathing treatments and I’m on a lasik, but they don’t seem to help much. Anything y’all know of I can do to help this?


Men are like fish...If we'd learn to keep our mouth shut, we'd stay out of trouble.
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14225126 12/19/21 04:33 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 70,038
banker-always fishing Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 70,038
I personally have not had CHF but know several people who do have it. They are under both a Primary Care Doctor and a Cardiologist Doctors care. I also know they take medications and follow a diet. If you do not have a Cardiologist I would strongly suggest that you get one. Also will be praying for your healing. angel2


[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14225144 12/19/21 04:58 PM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
R
racing75 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
I do have a primary and cardiologist.


Men are like fish...If we'd learn to keep our mouth shut, we'd stay out of trouble.
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14225283 12/19/21 07:20 PM
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 246
W
Whistlebritches Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 246
While I do not have CHF I did have bypass surgery (CABG X5) in may of 2020.I had some issues with fluid build up,swelling in the legs,especially the left where veins were harvested and of course the shortness of breath that goes along with it.I did spend several months on lasiks but have since had it removed from my heart meds.My cardiologist recommended i cut salt out of my diet..........as much as humanly possible anyway.Salt was never high on my list anyway but if you start reading the nutritional facts on processed foods you may be as shocked as I was.Anyway cutting all added salt in my diet,eating fresh or frozen veggies(not canned,they are salt bombs) and lots of chicken and fish(buy an air fryer if you don't already have one) has got me off lasiks and the fluid retention has ceased.


Good luck


On Time,On Target,Never Quit
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: Whistlebritches] #14225556 12/20/21 12:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
R
racing75 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
Originally Posted by Whistlebritches
While I do not have CHF I did have bypass surgery (CABG X5) in may of 2020.I had some issues with fluid build up,swelling in the legs,especially the left where veins were harvested and of course the shortness of breath that goes along with it.I did spend several months on lasiks but have since had it removed from my heart meds.My cardiologist recommended i cut salt out of my diet..........as much as humanly possible anyway.Salt was never high on my list anyway but if you start reading the nutritional facts on processed foods you may be as shocked as I was.Anyway cutting all added salt in my diet,eating fresh or frozen veggies(not canned,they are salt bombs) and lots of chicken and fish(buy an air fryer if you don't already have one) has got me off lasiks and the fluid retention has ceased.


Good luck


Thanks. We have a air fryer. I don’t add any salt other than what’s already in the food. We get frozen vegetables. Eat chicken a lot but not like I’m suppose to. Fish as well but fried. Guess I need to make some diet changes and maybe it will help. Thanks again.


Men are like fish...If we'd learn to keep our mouth shut, we'd stay out of trouble.
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14225799 12/20/21 06:02 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,810
C
Comodius Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,810
Originally Posted by racing75
Anyone on here have this? I had a heart attack at the end of June. After getting released from the Dr, I kept noticing swelling in my legs, bloating, and trouble breathing. Got so bad one night I had to go to the ER. That’s when they told me I had CHF. Been back about 3 times with the same problem. Stayed a week in the hospital the last time. Was good for a while but now I’m back to the bloating, swelling, and trouble breathing. Is this how this stuff works? Good days and bad days? I take breathing treatments and I’m on a lasik, but they don’t seem to help much. Anything y’all know of I can do to help this?

Est
This not how this works. I have had CHF 8.5 years. While I have experienced a few scary incidents, my cardiologist & electrophysioligist have kept me treated through medication, along with a CRTD device in my chest. I go to the Louis & Peaches Owen Heart Hospital in Tyler, TX. If you need additional information, shoot me a message!!!!


Deo Vindice
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14226164 12/20/21 05:35 PM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 11
L
LOOKN4REDS Offline
Green Horn
Offline
Green Horn
L
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Swelling and fluid retention is a common symptom. Your cardiologist can get aggressive with diuretics to control this. You should be keeping a DAILY weight log. Two pounds overnight and five pounds in a week is a problem and should be reported to your doctor. An immediate change to your meds may be rehired. This will help avoid ER visits to remove 20 pounds of fluid. Not fun. Good luck sir.

Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: LOOKN4REDS] #14226667 12/21/21 02:58 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
R
racing75 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
Originally Posted by LOOKN4REDS
Swelling and fluid retention is a common symptom. Your cardiologist can get aggressive with diuretics to control this. You should be keeping a DAILY weight log. Two pounds overnight and five pounds in a week is a problem and should be reported to your doctor. An immediate change to your meds may be rehired. This will help avoid ER visits to remove 20 pounds of fluid. Not fun. Good luck sir.


I’m on one and use the restroom all the time but I’m still swelling up.


Men are like fish...If we'd learn to keep our mouth shut, we'd stay out of trouble.
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14226670 12/21/21 03:01 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
R
racing75 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,273
My cardiologist is in Mt Pleasant and my wife and I are not very happy with him. Probably gonna check with my insurance and see if I can get one in Tyler.


Men are like fish...If we'd learn to keep our mouth shut, we'd stay out of trouble.
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14228468 12/23/21 12:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,019
D
DLALLDER Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
D
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,019
Get the Dr. (either one to take you off Lasik and put you on HTCZ.) Lasik seems to work on some but HTCZ worked MUCH better on me after 4 bypass surgurey in July of 2020. Daniel

Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14234405 12/30/21 05:41 PM
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,132
T
Teeners boat Online Sad
Extreme Angler
Online Sad
Extreme Angler
T
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 2,132
I have had CHF, diagnosed 3 years ago. Changed diet, cut salt consumption by 90%, cut fluid intake & Cardiologist had me on meds, after one year reduced meds, visits to cardiologist dropped to 4 times a year instead of monthly. Blood Pressure has stabilized even though it is a little high. Last heart scan was good, also had a stint put in. Doing good now. So, change your diet, eat as much salt free food as possible and lower fluid intakes, take daily walks even if it just a block or 2, you can increase them by another block every week or month. This has worked well for me. Good Luck.


Reality. What a concept!
Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: Teeners boat] #14235498 01/01/22 12:08 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37,535
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37,535
Originally Posted by Teeners boat
I have had CHF, diagnosed 3 years ago. Changed diet, cut salt consumption by 90%, cut fluid intake & Cardiologist had me on meds, after one year reduced meds, visits to cardiologist dropped to 4 times a year instead of monthly. Blood Pressure has stabilized even though it is a little high. Last heart scan was good, also had a stint put in. Doing good now. So, change your diet, eat as much salt free food as possible and lower fluid intakes, take daily walks even if it just a block or 2, you can increase them by another block every week or month. This has worked well for me. Good Luck.


thats pretty well done

Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14301872 03/01/22 11:18 PM
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,999
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 6,999
Just a question on the best way to remove salt and sugar from a persons diet. Sound like several of you have already done this. I have already starting reducing both, but food tastes terrible.

The reason I ask, is that I am having an Echocardiogram on Wednesday morning to rule out CHF.
I got put on some steroids in November for a GI issue and ended up with high blood pressure afterwards. I got put on Lisinopril starting a 5 MG all the way up to 20 MG and it didn't help. Then I got put on Amlodipine-Benazerpril 10-20 MG and it took my BP from 166/98 down to 99/58 in about a week but it caused Edema from the knees down and from my elbows down. I gained 8 pounds in a week, went to see my PC about what was going on and he did a ECG which if failed. Then on to the heart doctor for a 7 day heart monitor, which came back with no findings. Have had 4 sets of blood work since late December and everything looks good.
Got put on Lasix for 8 days and it pulled off around 6 pounds, but they wanted me off of it for two weeks for the Echo.
I had already been diagnosed with VTAC and take Metoprolol Tartrate to lower my heart rate.
I have lost 4 pounds cutting out sweets and now the Lisinopril at 10 MG has my PB pack under control. Hoping it was just the Amlodipine that caused the veins to leak as that is a real common side effect.

Thanks for anything y'all can think of and prayers for a good test tomorrow.
LarryB.

Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: Oldrabbit] #14303090 03/03/22 01:26 AM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37,535
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 37,535
Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
Just a question on the best way to remove salt and sugar from a persons diet. Sound like several of you have already done this. I have already starting reducing both, but food tastes terrible.

The reason I ask, is that I am having an Echocardiogram on Wednesday morning to rule out CHF.
I got put on some steroids in November for a GI issue and ended up with high blood pressure afterwards. I got put on Lisinopril starting a 5 MG all the way up to 20 MG and it didn't help. Then I got put on Amlodipine-Benazerpril 10-20 MG and it took my BP from 166/98 down to 99/58 in about a week but it caused Edema from the knees down and from my elbows down. I gained 8 pounds in a week, went to see my PC about what was going on and he did a ECG which if failed. Then on to the heart doctor for a 7 day heart monitor, which came back with no findings. Have had 4 sets of blood work since late December and everything looks good.
Got put on Lasix for 8 days and it pulled off around 6 pounds, but they wanted me off of it for two weeks for the Echo.
I had already been diagnosed with VTAC and take Metoprolol Tartrate to lower my heart rate.
I have lost 4 pounds cutting out sweets and now the Lisinopril at 10 MG has my PB pack under control. Hoping it was just the Amlodipine that caused the veins to leak as that is a real common side effect.

Thanks for anything y'all can think of and prayers for a good test tomorrow.
LarryB.



prayers up

Re: Congestive Heart Failure [Re: racing75] #14303116 03/03/22 02:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,454
M
malibu6501 Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,454
The hospital I was at offered therapy sessions every morning. I did not attend, but you might look into that. You use treadmill, etc. but are at the hospital. It takes awhile after heart failure to get back. For me it did. It's been over 10 years for me, and I still feel it. I have a cardiologist I see twice per year. Under three medications. Last time, he had me on a treadmill. My blood pressure actually went down after I got off. I thought I was about to pass out. In my mind, movement, medicine, fluids, and cut out the salt are key. On me, they had to stop my heart because I had no pulse. Then they restarted it. My heart was attacked by a virus. My swelling comes from non activity. Don't cut out all salt. That's bad too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3