Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pencil weights Gato Azul #14217416 12/10/21 09:36 PM
R
rlfisher Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
R
Chris I know you don’t take the time to make weights but I found some pencil weights on Fishing Stuff on YouTube. Quick to make and cheap you order Lead core wire six inches is bout 2 ounces cut it hit one end with a hammer punch hole I put heat stink tape and sinker slide and ready to use. One good part is when going cross the lake just wrap the lead around your pole so no banging on the rod. I am sure you have seen them before but was thinking some of your followers might be interested

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217433 12/10/21 09:57 PM
R
RBDavis3591 Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by rlfisher
Chris I know you don’t take the time to make weights but I found some pencil weights on Fishing Stuff on YouTube. Quick to make and cheap you order Lead core wire six inches is bout 2 ounces cut it hit one end with a hammer punch hole I put heat stink tape and sinker slide and ready to use. One good part is when going cross the lake just wrap the lead around your pole so no banging on the rod. I am sure you have seen them before but was thinking some of your followers might be interested

Fishin N Stuff Fastest way to make Drifting weights (something new)

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217438 12/10/21 10:10 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thanks for the info amigo👍My buddy Trent uses pencil weights but I’m a slinky guy. I’m always looking to improve my gear but my current slinky is the best I’ve seen. I know it’s just personal preference but I’ve grow accustomed to my 15” slinky weights as it has really cut down on me losing these high dollar drift rigs. The ones I’m currently using have steel shot so they are much longer than my lead ones and are much more flexible and move like a snake. I have a slinky making kit but I just prefer to buy a bulk bag of slinky for the year and be done with it.

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 12/10/21 10:51 PM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217444 12/10/21 10:18 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Not a fan of the heat shrink drift weights guys. I bought 20 of them and lost all of them really quick. I bet I don’t go through 20 of my regular slinky in an entire year fishing every week. Lost all those heat shrink in 2 months. I’m very very very happy with my current Bonetown drift weight! They are awesome!

Bonetown

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217475 12/10/21 10:57 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
These are the Bonetown slinky I’m using. 15” long filled with steel shot and super flexible.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217566 12/11/21 01:07 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
^ dang, they look sweet!

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217701 12/11/21 03:57 AM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
I have been making some lately. Cheap rope, and pull the center out, then melt the ends when done. Fast and easy. Made some with lead balls, and some with air gun steel bb's. I was worried the steel would be too light and too long... my 2 oz are about 12" long. Looks like they are about right compared to your.
I am going to use them a little this weekend I hope. Will see how it goes. Changing weather is going to be a mess...

I will get some pictures when I have a little time.

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217789 12/11/21 12:32 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have a bag or 2 oz and 3 oz Bonetown weights on order. Looking forward to seeing how they work. I also need some new planer boards. I have lost 2 in the last 6 weeks. I break off and when I finish a drift I go back and they are gone, don't know if they get picked up or if I just don't look in the right place but I am down 2 so I will reorder. I am thinking about getting some of the regular and some of the large...

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217792 12/11/21 12:39 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I use Pencils, but I do so mainly because I don’t hav to change anything to drift from anchor or vice versa. Not that changing takes awhile, I’m just a lazy catter. Pencils are pretty cheap too from Tackle Bandit.

Catfish Tim. - cough, cough —. Look at Fat Rooster ——. Cough, cough.. lol.

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217796 12/11/21 12:48 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I did look at those Fat Rooster boards. Hoo Wee! They're proud of 'em aint they? I may try a pair but I am pretty happy with the Parks. They would have to be pretty special to get me to change...

Catfish Tim

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217818 12/11/21 01:27 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I would want to try some before I buy some of the fat roosters that’s for sure. I to loose boards from time to time but my main hang up is having to unclip the boards at the boat to bring the fish in. I don’t mind it for my longest biggest bait but my other 4 boards it becomes a real big hassle especially in the summer when I’m bringing in 30 eaters. I don’t like having to fight the boards when reeling up 6 planers either. Even if they pulled slightly better than parks, having to fight the planer all the way to the boat doesn’t get me too excited. I’m very pleased with my Parks too and at $50 a set they are tough to beat.

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14217829 12/11/21 01:42 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Those homemade rope slinky work great Ken. Those are the ones I started making a long time ago with my dads birdshot from his shotgun shell reloading supplies he quit using. I timed how long it took me to make them and I think I made 5 in about 45 minutes. Then I used up all his supplies and had to start buying my own supplies to make them and I quickly realized after materials and my time it wasn’t worth it to me. Takes me long enough to keep all my rods with fresh string and rigs in tip top shape and I actually enjoy doing that but never liked making slinky or melting lead for no rolls. Some guys enjoy doing it but not me buddy!

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14218127 12/11/21 08:59 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
I use the ones Justin form Kayak Catfish likes to use. They're made from soaker hose, don't harden up in the cold like some of the others, plus, they help suspend the bait off the bottom in the times when the cats are suspended in the water column, because they actually stand up on the bottom. Those weights, coupled with a float, can actually raise the bait up 4 or so feet off the bottom, and because they stand, they have a very small footprint. Knock on wood, I haven't lost one yet. In the winter, I like to use the slinky weights too.

Last edited by z289sec; 12/11/21 09:01 PM.
Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14218407 12/12/21 11:17 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Chris, I agree with you about the time and money thing. I made a batch of the Larry Muse style dragging weights a while back because they were a lot cheaper than the $6 dirty south dragging weights. The Bonetown weights are $55 for a bag of 20 so they are already much less expensive and the time is not a factor in the equation anymore so win win...

I am looking forward to getting them and getting them in the water when I get back from this trip over the next 10 days...

Now Chris, I have another question. I see you have some lime green ones. On their website, Bonetown only has blue and red. How did you get green ones? You know I want some of those...

Catfish Tim

Re: Pencil weights Gato Azul [Re: rlfisher] #14218466 12/12/21 01:23 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I got the green ones from my friend Jeremy at Jeremy’s tournament cats . He’s from South Carolina and fishes the Santee Cooper chain. BoneTown is one of his tournament sponsors. Jeremy sent me 5 to try out and those green ones are custom so they stand out and get peoples attention so they ask about the weights. When I went to re-order I had to get the blue ones which was kind of a bummer because you know how much I love that lucky green!🍀 A lot of the gear I currently use was given to me to try by other anglers. It pays go have good friends that are high level catfisherman that is for sure!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide