Fayette county catfish #14204378 11/28/21 12:12 AM
D
Douglasdzaster Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Hello everyone,
I made me some jug lines and going to Fayette next week. I’ll be looking for spots to drift them and I’m not very familiar with this lake. I plan on doing some bass fishing while the jugs are soaking so I can keep an eye on them.
Anyone have any tips for the catfish? Wind is going to be from the sw I believe but only 3-4 mph.
After doing my planning and making the jugs I was just told by someone in another forum that due to poor management catfish are almost extinct in the lake. This is the first I’ve heard of that but I haven’t found a lot of information about catfish on Fayette county lake it’s all about bass fishing. Which is why I’m staying away from live bait on the jugs.
Any tips on catfish would be greatly appreciated.

Show respect to other boats, enjoy every day and every bite on the water you never know when it’s going to be the last.
Keep a tight line and hook baited can’t catch ‘em on credit.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14204514 11/28/21 01:48 AM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
I will try to give some advice. First, lot of people on here do not care for jug fishing. Have seen too many jugs not watched, and fish get hooked and end up dying because the jug fisherman did not watch his jugs and lost track of them. Your replies may be limited due to that... I will give everyone benefit of good intentions.

First, I dont know anything about that lake... so no help there. Sorry.

Fish some flats into channels or vice versa if you do not have select areas you have scanned and located fish. Some shallow jugs, some deeper if not sure where fish are.

Shad are always good catfish bait... dead, cut, whole, etc. If you dont have shad, some chicken breast, shrimp, purchased bag baits, etc.

Good luck... keep track of those jugs!

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: KEGracing] #14204565 11/28/21 02:42 AM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.
I check my lines regularly so I don’t loose fish. I don’t understand why someone would go to all the trouble and not keep up with there stuff.
Really sets me off. You struck a nerve because people like that make it harder for people like me. Like you said that’s probably why I’m not getting many replies. Also nothing more sorry than someone steeling them because it’s got a fish on. Another reason I’m never to far away.
I used to fish Richland Chambers and I chased jugs all over because it’s so big. But I never leave one behind.
I’ve got chicken breast, and I’ll catch some bluegill tomorrow for cut bait. Got frozen shad because I’m not sure where to throw my net just yet.
I’m just a good ol boy trying to put some fish in my freezer.
Thanks again for replying I realize how a lot of people feel.

Show respect to other boats, enjoy every day and every bite on the water you never know when it’s going to be the last.
Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14204828 11/28/21 12:59 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ken, you said it very well. Lots of folks on here don't care much for the jug fishermen. Some don't care for those wanting to fill the freezer either. While I do practice catch and release most of the time, I love to eat catfish. I don't freeze any anymore because when I want some, I go catch some and eat them fresh. Nothin better. I will say that the irresponsible always mess things up for the responsible. Not just jug fishermen. That goes for everything. I used to jug fish for flatheads up home in Illinois. I had a lot of fun doing that with my son when he was young.

As far as filling the freezer, As long as you are doing it legally obeying the creel limits and sizes there is nothing wrong with it. I am more interested in conservation these days. I want the big cats to be there for my grandkids and their kids. But if you want to put meat in the freezer, go for it and enjoy the process. I used to love chasing those jugs around the lake like I was chasing jaws! Good luck and have fun Doug!

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Catfish Tim] #14205601 11/29/21 05:25 AM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thank you Catfish Tim. I’m just trying to get enough to have a family gathering. No need to fill the freezer full. I’ve released many of 20-30# blues. I keep the eating size and release the big ones after they get there picture took.
Your right about the fun ,like chasing jaws. I used to fish all the time 20 years ago. This will be the first time I soaked a jug in that long. I’m retired now. Bought a project boat last year. A 16’ extra deep and wide Monark jon boat with a 40 hp Yamaha. After doing a lot of work myself I can now go back to something I love to do. I have to watch the wind forecast more than I did with my bass boat years ago but that’s ok. I took out the middle seat for plenty of room and I’m set up to run lines,jugs, drift fish and front deck for bass fishing.
I’m changing my trip tomorrow to Somerville for catfish and I can striper fish while I’m watching them.
Thanks again for your reply I really appreciate it. I haven’t been this excited in a long time. Probably won’t get much sleep. Lol

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14205642 11/29/21 11:40 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Good luck, report back and let us know how your trip turns out!

Catfish Tim

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14206791 11/30/21 04:57 AM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Somerville is going to be great . I just need to spend time on it. I missed a lot of fish on my jugs. When I checked them the bait had been hit or was gone and catfish slime all over the line. I used to catch a lot of blues on these rigs but they hit wot and hook themselves pretty easy. Channels are different. Just a theory that I need to change to circle hooks.
While the jugs where soaking I found a spot and drift fished. I caught little channel cats every few minutes. They where just a little to small. 8”-10” I’d say. I was using circle hooks on my rods and more than once had two going at the same time. They where small but still a lot of fun. About 4:00 I picked up and started cruising the lake. Low and behold in a little deeper water with some creek beds and such my screen would fill up with fish. I was going back Wednesday but I had a blow out on my trailer on the way home. Trashed the rim and the fender. I’m going to try to find what I need tomorrow but if not I’ll have to put off going and order what I need.
I was going to crappie fish this time while jug lining. The told me at the office this morning that people were catching crappie all over the lake. I saw a few boats come in with there limits as well.
Sorry no pictures of an ice chest full of fish this time. But it’s going to happen.

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14206878 11/30/21 01:03 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sorry about your trailer issues. Keep after em and that cooler full will come...

Catfish Tim

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14207065 11/30/21 04:26 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
My dad was a jugger and he always told us boys to keep an eye on our jugs. Leaving jugs unattended allows the big fish to swim off, get tangled, and die. It’s big fish season and anything over 10 lbs is going to be a mile away by the time you get back from crappie fishing.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14207395 11/30/21 10:21 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I’m always close with an eye on them for that reason.Somerville is full of crappie and the powers to be have put out a lot of what they’re calling commercial fish attractions all over and I have a map of the locations. If I end up with a crappie spot not close by I’ll drift fish close to my jugs. Whatever I got to do to get to them in a hurry. I have binoculars just in case. I’ve caught someone checking my lines before too. Now I paint mine fluorescent pink with bright red duck tape on the bottom. Stopped the bird chasing with white jugs too. I was taught by an older friend of mine how to jug fish and we never lost a jug. Caught several 20-30 plus lb. blues. Use one gallon or bigger jugs with one pound weights and usually three hooks.
I saw some yesterday that where stationary across a cove entrance. Never noticed them get checked. Never saw a boat nearby. They where still there when I headed to the boat ramp just before dark. That’s what makes people frown on all jug liners. That and harvesting way more fish than needed. I release the ones to big for good eating after a picture.

Last edited by Douglasdzaster; 11/30/21 11:01 PM. Reason: Add information

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14207414 11/30/21 11:04 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by Douglasdzaster
I’m always close with an eye on them for that reason.Somerville is full of crappie and the powers to be have put out a lot of what they’re calling commercial fish attractions all over and I have a map of the locations. If I end up with a crappie spot not close by I’ll drift fish close to my jugs. Whatever I got to do to get to them in a hurry. I have binoculars just in case. I’ve caught someone checking my lines before too. Now I paint mine fluorescent pink with bright red duck tape on the bottom. Stopped the bird chasing with white jugs too. I was taught by an older friend of mine how to jug fish and we never lost a jug. Caught several 20-30 plus lb. blues. Use one gallon or bigger jugs with one pound weights and usually three hooks.
I saw some yesterday that where stationary across a cove entrance. Never noticed them get checked. Never saw a boat nearby. They where still there when I headed to the boat ramp just before dark. That’s what makes people frown on all jug liners. That and harvesting way more fish than needed. I release the ones to big for good eating after a picture.

The best is when you’re setting that last jug and look up and the first one you set is moving already. Then you know it’s going to be a good day.

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Catfish Tim] #14213203 12/06/21 07:34 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Catfish Tim,
I have Gamakatsu circle hooks on the way while I’m waiting on 2 new tires and rims to come in for the trailer.
I have a question. My lines are 100# monofilament with 1 gallon jugs and 1 lb. weights. Three stages are tied in the monofilament for hooks. I’m not going to be able to fit the doubled line in the eyes of the circle hooks. I’m torn between using some good bearing snap swivels or putting heavy split rings on the hooks. Any thoughts sir?
Oh, looks like I’m building more jugs and found me a fishing partner. With more jugs we won’t be doing any rod and reel fishing. I’m probably going to have 20 all together, depends on the wind and other circumstances as to how many we use on any given day. If the bites good we’ll keep it at 10 or less.
Trying to fish responsibly.

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14214040 12/07/21 07:20 PM
T
TAKIN DRAG ATX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Any pics?

Team UnReeL Catfishin Central Texas
Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: TAKIN DRAG ATX] #14215648 12/09/21 06:27 AM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Not yet. I didn’t get there until late this afternoon due to life happens. My first trip I caught a bunch of small channels drifting but nothing on the jugs except catfish slime all over the line. I now have circle hooks on them. If I would have set them out this afternoon I might still be chasing them. I did more scouting instead in a different spot I’d heard about and there’s a drop off that filled the screen with what looked like good size fish. Stripers or catfish I figured. Pretty windy too. I wished I could have got there earlier as planned. There will be some pics before long. I don’t see fish like that on my depth finder around here at all. Guy that runs the marina said he weighed a 52lb. blue for a guy not to long ago. I release the big guys and eat the 10 lb and under. Like the monkey said when he caught his tail in a fan….. It won’t be long now.

Re: Fayette county catfish [Re: Douglasdzaster] #14216240 12/09/21 07:08 PM
T
TAKIN DRAG ATX Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
They got big fish on that lake, I’ve caught a couple of them. Nothing that big but hopefully soon

Team UnReeL Catfishin Central Texas
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide