Forums59
Topics1,037,823
Posts13,935,144
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons #14193592 11/17/21 05:10 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
OK, for the GURU's out there, I have another request. Help my learning curve please...

Chris, your "General Guidelines" for wind and weather was really cool. Made good sense.

How about putting something like this together for Water Temperatures and Seasonal changes.

Lakes are mixing and cooling off finally. Looking forward to fall and winter as many of you are, but trying to chase the changes and keep everything aligned is a big part of the learning curve. Helps to have a general target area to start in... know they will not always be there as the fish are not too good at reading and following our plans, but at least we start with an idea... then adjust as we must!

Looking for water temps to depth patterns specifically (I think?), but also depth to layouts - cuts, cliffs, flats, channels, etc.

Then again in the spring, as things warm up. Summer patterns, etc.

Would love to hear from you guys - everyone chime in as always, etc. I am going to be traveling a lot over the next few weeks, and will have more time to study my lake maps than actually get out on the lake. Want to have some plans ready to try when I get back in the boat.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Early, but I am hungry! LOL

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14193698 11/17/21 06:53 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
We’ll that’s the million dollar question Ken and one that is not easily answered. There are so many factors that go into that equation and I certainly haven’t figured out the algorithm! The fall transition usually means I gotta search more for good groups of fish. I’ve been up in 5 ft and out to 35 ft this fall and the fish haven’t been where I thought they should be one time. Not once! I’ve been grinding to locate good groups of fish with side image sonar and some days it takes me 1.5 hrs before I see what I like and throw down.

Most of our lakes in North Texas fish pretty much the same. The one major exception is Texoma. That lake fishes much different than any other lake I fish and we’re often much deeper on that fishery.

We all do things a little different but here are a few things I do to locate fish right now. First thing I do is try and figure out the bait and fish pattern. There can be multiple patterns on any given day but there is usually a magic depth where most of the biomass is hanging out in and it changes from day to day. Once I figure out that depth I eliminate the dead water and start scanning the areas I think fish will be at those depths. You can literally go all over the lake checking that magic depth and the fish are there. Once I start marking a good group with some bigger fish in that magic depth I throw down.

As the water gets into the 50s the lake is done mixing and Shad will start to group up in mid depths. Some years this can happen in October and some years like this year it happens around Thanksgiving. Lots of guys still fish shallow and do good but I start focusing my attention on the channel in 15-35 ft and the flats around them. I also fish pockets and shoreline contours with wind blowing into or across them. I’m looking for large concentrations of bait with fish around them. Once I locate these concentrated areas I throw down.

As the water hits the mid 40s, the bait moves deeper and I start looking in 30-60ft. Get a big cold snap and I look in the deepest parts of your lake. As it warms up in February we start moving more shallow from 35-2 ft. Big warming trend go shallow, cold front hits and drop back out to mid depths.

In the spring it’s all about the rain coming into the lake. When the lake is on the rise we’re up in the mouth of creeks or river. Shorelines with wind blowing on them that lead to these creeks can be good. If it hasn’t rained then im looking in 23ft up to 2 ft.

Generally speaking, if you can locate the larger concentrations of bait then those are the best areas to target. 90% of the fish will be concentrated in 10% of the lake. Finding that 10% of water on any given day is the trick!

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 11/17/21 07:04 PM.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194299 11/18/21 03:53 AM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
Thanks Chris!

This is exactly what I was looking for. I know things change and some days nothing seems to work... but need a starting point. Need to make sure I am keeping my notes and reference like this to help build patterns and plans.

I am looking forward to the next few months.

Tight lines y'all

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194428 11/18/21 12:51 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Ken,

I agree with most of what Chris said, I practice a little different than he does. Chris looks around more than I do. I tend to want my bait in the water quicker. When we fished together on Tawakoni he did what he says. We looked and looked. That day, we didn't find 'em. But it wasn't for lack of tryin. I heard him comment several times we were looking for a driftable pattern. I will put baits down and start drifting sooner than he does just to be fishing. I will do so when I mark some fish but less of a concentration than what Chris is looking for.

I agree completely about finding the magic depth. When I see fish in 25' and shallower, I leave the deeper water out of my search. I will move from one spot to the next and when I get to that same depth, the fish will usually begin to show up when I hit that depth. Is it temp? Is it barometric pressure? I don't know. I tend to think the barometer has a lot to do with it but that's just what I think.

I do look at the wind pattern closely. I will fish with the wind 99 times out of 100. Chris fishes contours a lot and when I was with him he did it well. I tend to fish open water flats at a specific depth where I can drift a long pattern if I can. If there is no wind, I will pull boards with the trolling motor. If I don't have any success doing that, I will head for the trees and tie up.

I have been waiting and waiting for the surface temp to get below 60 degrees. It has been stuck about 62 for a couple weeks. When it does get below 60 I look for the bait to school up and get easier to catch. I like what Chris has said about finding 8 or 10 places where the bait stays year round so you don't have to throw and throw and catch one or two at a time. I have not done that and I need to.

For me the easiest pattern to recognize and take advantage of is the early spring warm up. When the water has been cold and the sun hits the shallows in the spring or even in the winter when we get a good warm day, the water in those shallow coves will warm up and the fish will come. Fishing those shallows in 4 or 5 feet of water and hanging a 25 or 30 pounder is a blast.

I guess the easiest patterns are the extreme temps when the water is very cold, in the 40s, the fish will pile up deep. When the shallows warm in the spring the fish run for the warm water. All they are trying to do is get comfortable. That's what all this is about.

If you think about it in those terms it will help you pattern them...

Chris, did I get anything wrong?

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194437 11/18/21 01:00 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Question, is this targeting blues only?

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194502 11/18/21 02:13 PM
B
Blue Blazer 2400 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I am by no means a GURU but here is what I do. I have got a lot of info from Chris over the past couple of years and I have applied it with greater success. One thing that Chris does more than me is side scans until he sees exactly what he wants to see before he throws down down. I do a lot more side scanning than I used to but rarely will I ever scan for more than 45 minutes to an hour. Usually after about 30 minutes I am ready to start soaking baits. I am more like Tim when it comes to scanning. But I will always have a game plan ready and the fish usually mess it up. HAHA. Just when I think I should know where they should be they will be in the opposite direction. I start by finding the depth of where most of the bait is hanging in, and the fish are usually close by but not always.

I still need to do more searching for bait holes though. I have about 4-5 that they are usually in but I need to find more because there are times when I have to go searching because they aren't there. It always makes for a frustrating day when it takes all morning to find bait.

But fish are like people, they have different opinions sometimes. Last year I was catching solid fish in 40ish feet, teens to mid 20s. Once I got back to the dock I met a super nice guy and we were talking and he is more like Chris when it comes to scanning. He said he saw me out there and marked a lot of fish but no giants so he kept looking. He ended up finding a group of good fish in about 25 feet and caught several big fish all the way up to mid 50s, I scanned for a little bit in that depth but obviously I didn't spend enough time because I wasn't marking anything. He did say that there was no bait in that depth though, so I am not sure what those fish were doing there. I guess they just wanted to be different from the fish I was on.

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: ReelBusy] #14194503 11/18/21 02:13 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ReelBusy
Question, is this targeting blues only?

For me that's a yes. I think some would apply to other species as well but Blue's is what I'm all about...

Catfish Tim

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194507 11/18/21 02:18 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Incredibly helpful thread guys.

Thank y'all.

I've been up on RayBob all week, and when not fighting the waves and wind, I've been putting in time locating bait and fish. It's been completely different than last month when I was here, and fish have been hard to find and even harder to catch!

Last edited by Texas Brit; 11/18/21 02:22 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194517 11/18/21 02:25 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That's why they call it fishing and not catching Bob. The season changing changes everything and the worst part is, it can be different from year to year. It takes a lifetime of doing this to really begin to understand it. I learn every time I go out.

Catfish Tim

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194524 11/18/21 02:29 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Your spot on Tim! I like to fish those open water flats too and that’s where I was expecting the fish to be that day but they just weren’t there. We scanned em all and they looked like the surface of the moon. Lifeless!! It’s not like they were scattered either, they were gone completely and you know I’m not throwing down unless I’m marking good fish. I focused on contours that day because those were the only good groups of fish we could find that were driftable. I build a pattern and then I go look for fish on that pattern. We found fish but couldn’t make em bite that morning. The only other fishable pattern was up in heavy timber and those fish didn’t want to play either. There are going to be days like that occasionally and God does that to keep us humble and to help put things into perspective. I’m just glad it only happens once a year! because those kinds of days are painful but they do make you appreciate the good days more that’s for sure! There is only one kind of fishing trip that is worse and that is when you can’t locate fish at all!

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194549 11/18/21 02:45 PM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Great info guys thumb thumb

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194553 11/18/21 02:46 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Yup, learning, learning, learning, especially if like me if you're a n00by to cat fishing.

Last time I was fishing up at Ray Bob, just over a month ago, I fished the shallow flats to the NW of the lake in the area shown below,

[Linked Image]

I was getting rods bit one after the other, quite the workout, just pulling boards with the wind in 15 feet of water.

This past week it was empty of fish, like running over the desert.

Amazing.,

Last edited by Texas Brit; 11/18/21 02:52 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194570 11/18/21 03:04 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Guys, I scan the way I do for several reasons. #1 is because that’s how I learned from the high level guides and tournament anglers I’ve fished with. #2 reason is out of pure necessity. Lewisville is notoriously tough for big fish and if your not willing to scan hard for them then your not going to catch very many good fish. Most days I’m scanning 30-45 minutes but if I’m not marking good fish then I’m going to keep looking. If I don’t find them then I go back and fish the best group I marked earlier. Lewisville isn’t like Twok or Lavon where there are good fish all over the lake and you can just pull long drifts and do good. Try that on Lewisville and you’ll be disappointed the majority of the time. I’m not scanning my tail off because I love to scan guys, I scan because I love to catch fish and I just don’t have much success unless scan hard.

Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194581 11/18/21 03:15 PM
K
KEGracing Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
K
THIS is the conversations I was hoping this thread would spawn. Thanks all!

Sitting in a conference room in Arkansas, wanting to be on the lake...!

Cheers,

Ken

Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Re: request for another "general guidelines" around water temps and seaons [Re: KEGracing] #14194593 11/18/21 03:27 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
Great posts by everyone!!

Could have a couple of beers and talk about this stuff for hours just picking everyone's brain.

I just hate catching bait.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide