Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hand paddles #14184612 11/08/21 02:30 PM
Mudshark Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Now that I have a pedal kayak, I’m learning of the advantages and disadvantages of it. For longer runs across the lake, and for keeping the boat nosed into the wind, I’m thrilled with my boat. Yesterday, I marked some brush piles and was able to stay very close to my buoy while I kept my jig in the water. The down side is being able to turn the boat on a dime like you can do with a boat paddle.

I am thinking of getting a hand paddle to supplement the rudder when I want to turn more sharply. What are your thoughts?

[Linked Image]

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14184680 11/08/21 03:49 PM
D
Dougfresh Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I think there’s one called the backwater hand paddle. Should be getting my pedal kayak this month so I might be picking up one of those.

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14184778 11/08/21 05:50 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Half a paddle or an oar will generate much more force than a hand paddle.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14184804 11/08/21 06:25 PM
M
Mike@972 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
M
I think you on thinking in the right direction Mudshark.

To expand, I think every pedal kayak should have a traditional kayak paddle as a back-up and every paddle kayal should collapsable oar as a back-up. Pedals break from time to time and paddles fall out of the kayak from time to time.

In my PA I keep half of a kayak paddle in arms reach at all times and the other half stowed in the hull. My son keeps a full kayak paddle at arms reach in his outback and often uses it to position himself while holding on a spot.

I am in a PA360 which turns on a dime... even still, I often grab the half paddle to push off the bank when I get blown into the bank while tying a lure or while unhooking a fish. I also use it every time when launching or approaching a ramp.

In short, I think you need a paddle of some type (either a kayak paddle or a small oar). Personally, I thread the needle by using a split Kayal paddle with a T-handle on one end. I use half for day-to-day functions and have the other half available in case my drive fails.

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14185084 11/08/21 11:35 PM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
If you are going to get a hand paddle, the Backwater Assault Hand Paddle is the one to get. It doubles as a dull plastic machete. I originally tried using a ping pong paddle but it did not move enough water.

Re: Hand paddles [Re: PowerLizard] #14185106 11/09/21 12:08 AM
Mudshark Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by PowerLizard
If you are going to get a hand paddle, the Backwater Assault Hand Paddle is the one to get. It doubles as a dull plastic machete. I originally tried using a ping pong paddle but it did not move enough water.

Against your advice, I bought this.

[Linked Image]

It will work fully collapsed to help me turn quicker, it extends to act as a back up paddle or to just get into deep enough after to drop my drive, and it has a hook on the handle to grab jug lines as they try to run away from me. Time will tell.

I like the machete idea on the Assault paddle you mention, but I have a small shotgun to handle issues the boat paddle won’t take care of.

Last edited by Mudshark; 11/09/21 12:08 AM.

[Linked Image]

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14185145 11/09/21 12:50 AM
D
David Newton Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I like that short paddle. Might need to get one of those.

The Nucanoe peddle system has the prop at the rear of the kayak so turning radius is really good. I have a full length paddle that I store broken down under my seat for emergencies. But honestly I rarely use it. I might switch to something like this short paddle.

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14185271 11/09/21 05:11 AM
P
PowerLizard Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
P
Originally Posted by Mudshark
Originally Posted by PowerLizard

Against your advice, I bought this.

[Linked Image]

It will work fully collapsed to help me turn quicker, it extends to act as a back up paddle or to just get into deep enough after to drop my drive, and it has a hook on the handle to grab jug lines as they try to run away from me. Time will tell.

I like the machete idea on the Assault paddle you mention, but I have a small shotgun to handle issues the boat paddle won’t take care of.

I had that Atwood paddle as backup on a Pelican Bass Raider that was primarily powered by a trolling motor. The paddle got hard to twist to allow it to go full length. I gave it away to the guy who bought the Bass Raider. I hope you have better luck with your telescoping Attwood paddle.

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14185302 11/09/21 10:59 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I had a hand paddle at one time, it seemed like a good idea when they first came out. As mentioned earlier, they don't move enough water. If I had a pedal kayak, I would still carry a good, full sized paddle.

If you ever come across something in the water that you might not want in your boat, longer is better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Would you rather use a hand paddle as a machete or a full sized paddle as a helicopter blade?

Last edited by lconn4; 11/09/21 11:19 AM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14185424 11/09/21 01:21 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
OP it's what works best for you. Yeah you'll be able to turn better with less force using a full size paddle but if the benefits of a hand paddle out way the full size paddle for you roll with it. As Mike said you should still carry a full size paddle on the side of your kayak in addition to your hand paddle.

Let us know how it works for you.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14187460 11/11/21 02:31 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Danny listen close now buddy. These old salty yakkers saying you should always carry a full size paddle are dead on. They been down this road and made those mistakes like in the 80s. No need to try them again.

Pedal systems can fail for a number of reasons. Also you can get too shallow to use them. If you make that long run across the lake and then break your prop or something... good luck getting back with that one handed oar.

Get a full size paddle. Does not have to be a high end fiber carbon one and all that, just get one. And leash it to the yak. Very important. cheers

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14187747 11/11/21 07:17 PM
Mudshark Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Danny listen close now buddy. These old salty yakkers saying you should always carry a full size paddle are dead on. They been down this road and made those mistakes like in the 80s. No need to try them again.

Pedal systems can fail for a number of reasons. Also you can get too shallow to use them. If you make that long run across the lake and then break your prop or something... good luck getting back with that one handed oar.

Get a full size paddle. Does not have to be a high end fiber carbon one and all that, just get one. And leash it to the yak. Very important. cheers

I’m still going to keep a full sized paddle leashed to the boat, I was just asking if anyone used them to help augment the turn radius of their pedal yak. I’m going to try it on m next trip. Just wondering if I was the only one who can’t turn sharp enough. Maybe I need to be looking at rudder improvements?

[Linked Image]

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14187820 11/11/21 08:31 PM
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan

I’m still going to keep a full sized paddle leashed to the boat, I was just asking if anyone used them to help augment the turn radius of their pedal yak. I’m going to try it on m next trip. Just wondering if I was the only one who can’t turn sharp enough. Maybe I need to be looking at rudder improvements?

Oh. Ok yes. Good! I missed that bit. The OT has made me a poor reader.

I know guys who carry a hand oar inside the hull "just in case". As a last resort but none who use it to turn over their full sized one. You can get the full size down deeper, or out farther, or whatever you need to effect the turn you want.

You have mentioned a few times adjustments on the rudder. Fact is they dont turn real tight. I have the Predator PDL and its one of the better ones out there for turning for its size but it still... its not going to turn on dime. One thing I did when working around thick log jams was to work the yak like a car in a tight spot using the peddles. Back it up a bit, cut it the other way, go forward a bit, back it up again cutting the other way, then back forward and so on. Worked as well as the paddle in real tight spots. Not sure yours has instant reverse though?

If I recall yours is a 13 footer? Those are not going to turn like those little ones you see smaller guys in. Not as fast either. But lots of room and stable enough for a guy who is full sized and nimble as he once was. Nothing wrong with trying the oar and letting us know!

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14187822 11/11/21 08:34 PM
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
AND I keep spelling "peddle" as in to sell rather than "pedal" as in to pedal a bike.

CCTX will be along shortly to scold me for that.

Re: Hand paddles [Re: Mudshark] #14188714 11/12/21 05:59 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P

PC- a paddle should work better than a rudder for Sharp turns , especially if you are in a stopped position trying to turn. That is because a Rudder needs water to be rushing by in order to exert a strong force causing the bote to turn. The time it takes to turn sharply wile holding position increases with the submerged length and decreases with the amount of rocker of your kayak. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide