Print Thread
Mercury a major disappoint! #14173648 10/28/21 11:07 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
In June I bought a 4-stroke 2.5 hp Mercury motor for my jon boat. Couldn't start it so I took it for service. Found out the service was not warranty-covered and shelled out $135. Still have problems starting it to this day. When I call for tech support at Mercury, simple questions go unanswered or have to be researched such as, what's that spare part included with the motor shaped like a brass cylinder with a screw at the end? and can the motor be titled up on the transom in shallow water (unlike the photo in the manual advising against it).

If the motor is laid on the wrong side, oil goes where it's not supposed to. The oil level window is inaccurate if the motor is tilted to the right or left 15 degrees or more showing an overfill or low level. It's not explained by the manual or tech support how to change the oil. The tech didn't know and no one knew the capacity of the gas tank on top so the right amount of Stabil can be added.

I found out that only 91 octane non-ethanol gas should be used unlike regular with 10% methanol allowed per a manual which is incomplete in so many ways, leaving out important information or not explaining things sufficiently.

For years I had no problems with the 90 hp Merc on my Ranger bass boat until methanol screwed it up. Doubt I'll buy or recommend a Mercury motor ever again!

Last edited by SenkoSam; 10/28/21 11:09 AM.
Re: Mercury a major disappoint! [Re: SenkoSam] #14180385 11/03/21 05:52 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
a tech should have known those things. i just got done (yesterday) w/ the 4 stroke lab classes in dallas. those were well covered and are in the service manual on how
to store it and why. that motor is fine with 87 octane. if your storing the fuel more than a few weeks.. use mercury quickstore to the fuel and run engine for about 5 to 10 minutes to ensure the fuel and additive mixture gets to the engine fuel system.

the proper sequence to checking the engine oil is also listed in the service manual.

tilting the engine left or right does not effect the oil level. the wrong trim angle absolutely does. so does not trimming engine all the way up for a few minutes and back to level. as well as checking cold vs warm... the manual clearly states "cold". it's actually a question in the lab exam.

if you need a new service place.. i own s2 marine in quitman. i'll be happy to assist in the future.

steve

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Re: Mercury a major disappoint! [Re: SenkoSam] #14181045 11/04/21 08:15 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Steve, thanks for the good info. I gotta a few questions:
Why Mercury Quickstore vs Stabil?

How do I drain the oil to change it?

Is there a way to drain the gas tank?

Once I tilt the motor all the way up to launch or when coming into shallow water and then back down, should the motor start?

So far so good as far as starting and restarting the motor on my driveway on a daily basis - even on cold mornings (32 degrees). (Bottom water intake is in a bucket of water for cooling.) Zero smoke.
I can idle the motor for as long as I want but only as long as the accelerator handle is turned a bit with choke knob in. If not, the idle is uneven and may stall.
The oil-level window shows fine. The question I had was that I couldn't see any oil down below once the oil fill lid was removed so was the level accurate. Guess it is.
I'm still afraid to use less than 91 octane according to the service tech that got the motor started.

Too bad the owner's manual sucks big time. Mercury has fallen short in that and in many other regards regarding tech info.

I'm in NY but thanks for the offer Steve.
Frank

Last edited by SenkoSam; 11/04/21 12:02 PM.
Re: Mercury a major disappoint! [Re: SenkoSam] #14182520 11/05/21 04:56 PM
steve@S2Marine Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
quickstore, because i'm a merc dealer and will support mercury products useage, especially one under warranty.

changing oil: turn engine slightly to gain access to the oil drain plug, located on the starboard side just below the power head. your enigne uses
10 oz of oil. idle engine for a few minutes , stop and check oil level.

the manual isn't clear on a fuel drain valve.

the service manual clearly states that engine is fine with 87 octane w/ up to 10% ethanol

you may want to buy the service manual. it's part number is 8m0065421

www.hydrodynamics-usa.com
info@hydrodynamics-usa.com
903-763-5225
www.s2marine.com
s2marinesales@gmail.com
Blazer Boats, Gambler boats and Legend Craft Boats

Re: Mercury a major disappoint! [Re: SenkoSam] #14182524 11/05/21 05:03 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thanks

you may want to buy the service manual. it's part number is 8m0065421

Probably learn more than I'm getting from technical support.

Motor's been starting and restarting every day, Guess it's time to take it on the water- with oars of course!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide