Print Thread
Martin Creek Lake State park Thurs.-Sun----TILAPIA #14179760 11/03/21 03:12 AM
K
keith Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Do any of you guys fish for tilapia? My family is checkin in Thursday at Martin creek, staying thru Sunday, and I'd really love to catch some tilapia, as well as everything else!. Got corn, peas, bread (wonder white and kings Hawaiian ) Also got wheaties and big red, 3 containers worms, 2lb shrimp, and 2 packs frozen calf liver. so ready to multitask species, but I sure would love to cook up tilapia i caught at the campsite!!!! Anyone ever catch them at Martin creek lake state park? or if you do somewhere else, can you yell me some tips and tricks? Its a power plant lake so current water temp 80°so they should be spawning. Also taking my 1000watt portable power station and bunch of green lights for lighted pier at night. Couple floating white ones. Fish should be patterned to their lights so when I put mine out, it should be good. I have lile 8 green lights, and two white. Anyone ever night fish out there?what's the bite like on that lighted pier? Species or what you experienced??? Gonna try to tear it up with my 4yr old during the day and hopefully have successful daddy catching at night! Any tips for that state park or on tilapia fishing would be very appreciated!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I will put your knowledge into action, or Ill wing it and prob get something bighting, but sure would love to catch my first tilapia and eat it!!!! Wish me luck!!!!

sincerely,

Keith the Wolfman

Re: Martin Creek Lake State park Thurs.-Sun----TILAPIA [Re: keith] #14180588 11/03/21 08:31 PM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I've never caught a Tilapia nor have I fished that lake, but it looks like a great lake in a gorgeous part of Texas!

Tilapia here in Texas are most commonly targeted by cast netters, but if you're trying for them on rod and reel I'm sure almost all of those baits will work. I've seen them caught on lures as well if that's something you'd like to try. Tight lines and wet nets!

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Martin Creek Lake State park Thurs.-Sun----TILAPIA [Re: keith] #14182000 11/05/21 02:42 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Tilapia will die at temperatures below 55 degrees, so tilapia will leave cold areas of the lake in the fall and winter. If you find them, worms are probably your best bait. I usually fish them on the bottom with just a small hook and split shot. A small piece of cut-bait will work on big fish. If they are on their beds, I have caught them on silver spoon with big treble hooks. They will attack the spoon and often get hooked.

Here are a few of the fish I have caught. They are really good to eat. Good luck and let us know how you do.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide