Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14151466 10/05/21 05:43 PM
J
JAlfred Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Fished mid lake today (5th Oct) from 7:30-10:30. Water temp 79, with light north wind. Fished 1st hour with topwater; caught 1. Gave up on topwater and went to Keitech swim bait; caught none. Finally switched to flipping 5" Senko; caught 5 in the 1-1.5 # range. As reported by Palirwin, bite was very light. It was a beautiful morning on Lake Travis.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14167834 10/21/21 08:46 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Fished 9-2 Wednesday, caught 5 total, nothing bigger than 14"
Tried Crankbaits, swimbaits, dark, light, flukes, worms, big and small, spinnerbait, topwater when the clouds were still out early, just couldn't get bit. Talked with one nice gentleman who was about my age (okay probably 15 years older than me) but he said he had caught 12, 3 were 2-3 lbs. He was catching them all with a popper, although when I saw him he was fishing a crankbait, so I guess it slowed down for him too. Anyway, his fish, and the ones we caught, were on the mainlake bluffs.
I tried fishing shallow in Sandy Creek, tried mainlake points, nothing, tried 20 foot of water, nothing. Tried the marinas, nothing.
3 times I watched a bass chase my lure almost back to the boat but not commit. Not sure they were trying to eat it, almost like they were trying to school with it. It was weird.
Water was 76-77* and the clouds were out with the sun peaking out a little as the day went on. Very light breeze, maybe 5 mph from the south, shifted to the north for a little bit, then died. Hope you all are doing better than I am lately!!!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14173197 10/27/21 08:04 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Got a couple hours in yesterday evening without much luck. Got a few bites, but apparently I need to replace all of my fishing line because I was broken off each time. Well, one I got up and it jumped and spit my hook, but as much as I was breaking off I was trying to not set the hook as hard, and so then I lost the fish like that. Can't win for losing! Anyway, I was getting bit mostly on a shaky head in 5 feet depths. A few other fisherman I talked with were not having great days either. Wind was brutal. I fought it for a bit on the bluffs, but gave up and moved to the creek where I was protected somewhat. I think the fish were on the bluffs better, but in a 17 foot aluminum boat, you can't hardy take 15-20 mph winds. The fish are biting, you just have to be able to get to them. What kind of fishing line are you guys using on Travis? I need something that is zebra mussel resistant and shock resistant. I have had HORRIBLE experience with Seaguar Abrazx Flouro so not doing anything Seaguar ever again. BPS Mono was what I kept breaking off yesterday, so I think that is out. I am seriously at a loss with breaking off fishing line lately.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14175416 10/29/21 07:46 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Re flouro, you mentioned not wanting Seaguar -- I don't like Abazx, but have decent luck with InvizX. I picked-up some Googan squad flouro on sale last year (only because it was on sale for about $9) and it has been decent. Also, worming-wise I have turned more to DS than shaky or t-rig, and I think keeping the hook suspended off the rocks has helped to me to avoid a lot of the frustrations with the mussels.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14176089 10/30/21 04:53 PM
J
JAlfred Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by Palirwin
Got a couple hours in yesterday evening without much luck. Got a few bites, but apparently I need to replace all of my fishing line because I was broken off each time. Well, one I got up and it jumped and spit my hook, but as much as I was breaking off I was trying to not set the hook as hard, and so then I lost the fish like that. Can't win for losing! Anyway, I was getting bit mostly on a shaky head in 5 feet depths. A few other fisherman I talked with were not having great days either. Wind was brutal. I fought it for a bit on the bluffs, but gave up and moved to the creek where I was protected somewhat. I think the fish were on the bluffs better, but in a 17 foot aluminum boat, you can't hardy take 15-20 mph winds. The fish are biting, you just have to be able to get to them. What kind of fishing line are you guys using on Travis? I need something that is zebra mussel resistant and shock resistant. I have had HORRIBLE experience with Seaguar Abrazx Flouro so not doing anything Seaguar ever again. BPS Mono was what I kept breaking off yesterday, so I think that is out. I am seriously at a loss with breaking off fishing line lately.

I've used 8-pound Trilene XT since I began fishing Lake Travis in the early 80s. I've had very few break offs. The XT is a bit stiffer than the XL, so I have to trail it behind my boat from time to time to untwist it.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14182637 11/05/21 07:58 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I used to fish with XT on baitcasters and XL on spinning reels, that was all I used for many years. I do like the point about drop shots, but I just haven't developed confidence in that rig yet. Although, I have watched my buddy use it successfully for a year now. At any rate guys, I no longer have access to a boat, so regrettably you won't see many updates from me anymore. If anyone wants someone for the back of their boat, please hit me up. I am happy to pay for gas and boat launch fees!

My last trip out was on Sunday and I caught a ton of fish, lost count. Caught them on crankbaits mostly, but also a 3" Kalin Grub, swimming it. I caught them on bluffs, points, and back in the creeks. It was just one of the great days where fish hit everything. I hope to meet some of you guys soon and do some fishing, and I will report here if it is on Travis, but I will fish anywhere. I really hope you guys will keep this thread alive.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14183148 11/06/21 02:21 PM
W
wug Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I have been using P-Line Fluoroclear Mist Green for the last several years after switching from Trilene XL(XT always was stiff-line memory) I use 12lb and 15lb on bait casting and 8lb-10lb on Medium Spinning rods. Tackle Warehouse has the bulk spools...but generally I get two years out before changing it out. Personally like the feel of a hybrid/mono line and the color (mist green) I think it helps from being too visible for the fish especially in clear lakes. Just my .02 on line for clear water fishing

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14185207 11/09/21 02:20 AM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I used to fish with XT on baitcasters and XL on spinning reels, that was all I used for many years. I do like the point about drop shots, but I just haven't developed confidence in that rig yet. Although, I have watched my buddy use it successfully for a year now. At any rate guys, I no longer have access to a boat, so regrettably you won't see many updates from me anymore. If anyone wants someone for the back of their boat, please hit me up. I am happy to pay for gas and boat launch fees!

My last trip out was on Sunday and I caught a ton of fish, lost count. Caught them on crankbaits mostly, but also a 3" Kalin Grub, swimming it. I caught them on bluffs, points, and back in the creeks. It was just one of the great days where fish hit everything. I hope to meet some of you guys soon and do some fishing, and I will report here if it is on Travis, but I will fish anywhere. I really hope you guys will keep this thread alive.

You have my number. Sorry you had to give up the boat, but I have one! We need to all meet up one day and have a little fun tourney. No money, just braggin rights! Or money and braggin rights!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14187772 11/11/21 07:40 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I like the sound of that! I work harder for bragging rights than money any day of the week. Maybe next week we can get out there fivebites

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14188821 11/12/21 07:53 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I like the sound of that! I work harder for bragging rights than money any day of the week. Maybe next week we can get out there fivebites

Holla at me mid week. I think I'm headed to Rayburn Sat - Mon.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide