Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Opinions on this? #14167378 10/21/21 01:27 PM
Walls Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
https://www.dallasnews.com/high-sch...dd-bass-fishing-as-uil-sanctioned-sport/

Personally I don't like it as I think both of the major trails in Texas do an outstanding job and do not need UIL help/interference/rules/oversight.

Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Walls] #14167401 10/21/21 01:55 PM
G
GMTK Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Might allow them to get some state funds to use.

Re: Opinions on this? [Re: GMTK] #14167405 10/21/21 01:59 PM
Walls Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by GMTK
Might allow them to get some state funds to use.

I am concerned about tens of thousands of dollars (SETX) and scholarship money (THSBA) being pulled from the anglers and replaced with trophies and ribbons.

Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Walls] #14167837 10/21/21 08:54 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Terrible idea for UIL to get involved but I expected it. There is too much money floating around and they want a piece of it.

And, WHY would they want to get some state funds? THSBA already gives 250k plus a year in prizes and scholarships.

Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Walls] #14167838 10/21/21 08:54 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by WALLS
https://www.dallasnews.com/high-sch...dd-bass-fishing-as-uil-sanctioned-sport/

Personally I don't like it as I think both of the major trails in Texas do an outstanding job and do not need UIL help/interference/rules/oversight.

I captain for The Brook Hill School in Bullard, TX. From what I understand, fishing is already recognized as an official sport by TAPPS and they have no interference or say in what we do.

UIL just may sanction bass fishing as an "official sport", but as far as their help/interference/rules/oversight, we (THSBA) will continue to do our own thing as a private 501c3 organization, as I am sure others like SETX will as well, and have done just fine without their interference for 9 seasons now. We already have a 'no pass, no play' rule in effect. Plus, UIL won't even be able to come close to offering the scholarships that we do each season. Just look at last season....the THSBA awarded out $328,000 in scholarships and over $180,000 in prizes and awards. UIL won't sink 1/2 a million each season to run a fishing program. And the cost involved just to run a tournament with the trailer, contents of the trailer, a live release tank, the insurance, getting a crew to run a tournament, etc. is enough to scare some folks. There's a lot that the UIL is not thinking of. Now, if the UIL just wants to recognize fishing as an official sport without interference, that would be the best thing they could do. Most schools follow UIL or TAPPS guidelines anyways with they teams now as it is, so there shouldn't be a major shake-up. There are some school superintendents that have totally consumed the UIL Kool-Aid and think that they should be involved in everything. We have proved that we can not only survive, but thrive for the students without interference from the UIL.

I spoke to the UIL several years ago about this. Some of their ideas were laughable, like having a state championship each year around the Austin area, which was strike one due to those schools having home lake advantage every year. I had to explain to them that lakes are totally different than a football or baseball field which had very similar dimensions. Then they said that I could/would need to get our sponsors to pay for everything for them to run a bang up State Championship. That was strike two. Sponsors are hard enough to come by, especially now. Asking for more money so the UIL could look good wasn't going to happen. They asked if there was a strike three. I said, I don't know, keep talking and I'll let you know. They said they didn't feel it was for them at that point.

We shall see!

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Walls] #14169548 10/23/21 10:33 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I bet some of the people handling the growing pots of gold do not want the state involved. The state tends to keep tabs on other people's money

#MFGA
Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Douglas J] #14170069 10/24/21 06:16 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Well I guess if they do I will have to sell my Rolls Royce.
Originally Posted by Douglas J
I bet some of the people handling the growing pots of gold do not want the state involved. The state tends to keep tabs on other people's money

Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Ken Starling] #14170149 10/24/21 08:07 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Ken Starling

upgrade it, a RR is so 2010's

#MFGA
Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Ken Starling] #14170152 10/24/21 08:10 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

Let's be totally honest, with zero school involvement the money and where it goes or what is taken in can be kept 100% private. It's a private business. I can see how some of the directors would not want the state deciding to take a slice of the pie. It will likely happen if state regulation is involved.

#MFGA
Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Douglas J] #14170186 10/24/21 08:59 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
It could be kept secret but since the THSBA is a 501c(3) non profit all of ours is for public record. We will continue to do things the way we do with or without it being UIL. See ya at the College Event Douglas..

Let's be totally honest, with zero school involvement the money and where it goes or what is taken in can be kept 100% private. It's a private business. I can see how some of the directors would not want the state deciding to take a slice of the pie. It will likely happen if state regulation is involved.

Last edited by Ken Starling; 10/24/21 09:08 PM.

Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Douglas J] #14170382 10/25/21 01:34 AM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

I hate to break it to you Douglas J, but as Ken stated, the THSBA is a 501c3 organization and all of our financial information is available with a simple email request. You will be sorely disappointed in the lack of financial gain for those of us running high school fishing. Do we have a couple of employees, yes. Can't run a big organization like the THSBA without employees. However, all founding members and board members are strictly 100% volunteers, as stated in our bylaws, which you can find on the THSBA website. I mean, I get a free THSBA hat every now and then, so maybe if I sell those on the black market, I might be able to get about a 1/2 of a tank of diesel fuel for my F250. If you are so certain that our "growing pots of gold" are so plentiful, please step up and give your free time as a member of the Board of Directors for the THSBA. That way you will see for yourself that comments like yours are completely wrong and out of line.

Here's a great example of the THSBA not adding to our pots of gold....
During the 2020 season when COVID stopped everything, we had numerous events cancelled in the regular season, refunding entries for those that had paid. We somehow got in the Regionals, but had to cancel State a week before the scheduled event, in which we refunded all the entries. With that, we have $40,000 in the scholarship account that would have been awarded at state (along with other money that was refunded) that we gave out in a blind raffle, putting all the teams that qualified for state in a hopper and drew names. Did the same for all the Academy gift cards we hade earmarked for that event, as well as those that were left over from the cancelled events. And the Lew's reels we had left over at the end of the season, we gave out during a "Digital Big Bass Contest" and the following December in a "THSBA Holiday Giveaway". Dang it, I guess we missed out on an easy way to pad our personal bank accounts (insert sarcasm).

You will continue to believe what you want, but oops, your "pot of gold" comment seems to be losing traction by the second.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Tim Haugh] #14170421 10/25/21 02:35 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Tim Haugh

I hate to break it to you Douglas J, but as Ken stated, the THSBA is a and all of our financial information is available with a simple email request. You will be sorely disappointed in the lack of financial gain for those of us running high school fishing. Do we have a couple of employees, yes. Can't run a big organization like the THSBA without employees. However, all founding members and board members are strictly 100% volunteers, as stated in our bylaws, which you can find on the THSBA website. I mean, I get a free THSBA hat every now and then, so maybe if I sell those on the black market, I might be able to get about a 1/2 of a tank of diesel fuel for my F250. If you are so certain that our "growing pots of gold" are so plentiful, please step up and give your free time as a member of the Board of Directors for the THSBA. That way you will see for yourself that comments like yours are completely wrong and out of line.

Here's a great example of the THSBA not adding to our pots of gold....
During the 2020 season when COVID stopped everything, we had numerous events cancelled in the regular season, refunding entries for those that had paid. We somehow got in the Regionals, but had to cancel State a week before the scheduled event, in which we refunded all the entries. With that, we have $40,000 in the scholarship account that would have been awarded at state (along with other money that was refunded) that we gave out in a blind raffle, putting all the teams that qualified for state in a hopper and drew names. Did the same for all the Academy gift cards we hade earmarked for that event, as well as those that were left over from the cancelled events. And the Lew's reels we had left over at the end of the season, we gave out during a "Digital Big Bass Contest" and the following December in a "THSBA Holiday Giveaway". Dang it, I guess we missed out on an easy way to pad our personal bank accounts (insert sarcasm).

You will continue to believe what you want, but oops, your "pot of gold" comment seems to be losing traction by the second.

503c or not, I am saying things change when the state gets involved. And usually the losers are the student participants.

#MFGA
Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Walls] #14171695 10/26/21 03:02 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Getting UIL involved would be an absolute nightmare. They provide no service that could make the product better. It would just add more bureaucracy and take away money from the program. UIL, like most things at the State level of public education, is a corrupt mess.

Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14173201 10/27/21 08:12 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Getting UIL involved would be an absolute nightmare. They provide no service that could make the product better. It would just add more bureaucracy and take away money from the program. UIL, like most things at the State level of public education, is a corrupt mess.

That is what I was saying and then Mr. Tim Haugh and Mr. Ken Starling got all defensive as if they are trying to deflect any conversations about money and high school bass fishing.

#MFGA
Re: Opinions on this? [Re: Douglas J] #14173251 10/27/21 09:04 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower

That is what I was saying and then Mr. Tim Haugh and Mr. Ken Starling got all defensive as if they are trying to deflect any conversations about money and high school bass fishing.

Tim and Ken have put a ton of time into building the organization. I think you will find them both to be good guys. The THSBA financial records are kept as well as any organization could ever keep them. They do things right. They don't need the "help" of UIL. The "Growing pots of gold" comment may not have been typed in an accusatory way, but that's the way I took it and probably the way they did to. Tone and intent are often times impossible to determine in a forum like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide