Print Thread
Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14155615 10/09/21 05:20 PM
_
__TX__ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
_
I think me and the kiddo are going to head out there this afternoon and see what we can do. probably stay on the south side ot the lake due to the wind. maybe see if we can catch bass after dark? i don't know that i've ever caught one after dark. we'll fish for sand bass, black bass, and probably drift some with shrimp for catfish. any advice would be helpful. safest/ best ramp to go to at night?

2001 TRACKER V-18 TOURNAMENT
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14155663 10/09/21 06:35 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
With south winds you can use Katy Woods, Dove Ramp, or Meadomere. Only one I wouldn't recommend is McPherson.

I typically lauch at Dove myself, and I have not had a problem there. I do see police cruising thru this area pretty often. For bass stay near rocks, and shallow. If you see rocks on the bank, your good.. The bigger the rocks, the better IMO. Anywhere you catch sandbass, would be a good area to try for catfish. I would head to the mouth of Scotts Landing and stay out off the main point for sandbass.. Below is a rough idea of what I was doing earlier in the week.. Also, had a "Usual Suspect" get in touch with me and let me know he did real well here as well.. I was up in 23-24ft, casting back towards the marina and working a slab back to the boat.. As for Bass, I have been catching more bass in the early morning pre-sunrise. I will have more of an idea about bass on sunday, because things have turned on Bass fishing. The sandbass seem to be doing well, if you can find them. I would say the afternoon bite for sandbass is a skosh better. Good luck, and please let us know how you do.. For the sandbass, you need to be on the bottom.... Let a spoon, slab make contact..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 10/09/21 06:40 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14155679 10/09/21 07:10 PM
_
__TX__ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
_
dang, that is quite detailed! i appreciate it!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14155913 10/09/21 11:50 PM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
thumb

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14157590 10/11/21 03:48 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
My fishing buddy said the wind was going to blow yesterday, but I didn't imagine it would be that bad. Didn't see many boats out, and it definitely wasn't an IQ test on my part. Fished for the green fish from 4am to about 10, stayed in Scotts and then worked the Dam.. Wind got higher as the day grew, and didn't ever let up. I picked up Mason from a hiking trail at 11am and we went up and worked on the beach, then scanned the bank on main point that extends east of marshall branch for Old bottles. Wind was blowing pretty much straight down the lake, Mason said we wouldn't be able to anchor at the beach. He learned something, with my long chain and anchor we set it out about letting out roap until we got close to the beach. Tied the back of the boat on a branch at the anchor, and the boat held with an occasional bow splash.. Saw a few of the usual beach suspects, and we cleaned all total three 13 gallon trash bags of junk from our excursion. Had a real good day piddling on the lake, and had a real good time with mason on the water. We really dug into some waves in the champion yesterday, that old boat has been in some rough water.. Running about 35-40 straight into the wind really shows how that boat handles and it's quality. I had one village idiot try and sink my boat.. Will add a video later, hard to explain. Nothing to report on fishing, we stayed on the less windy side in the late part of the day and only found some small sandbass just north of sandbass point (nust north west of sandbass point about 600 yeards). Most maps have the small point on them, and we caught about a dozen before I threw my hands up in the air.. Hope all are well, and I am going out after me and Mason go see a movie. Supposed to get windy with rain the next few days so I am heading out after lunch.. I found another 12 ft cast net, snagged it with a crankbait. If anyone does not have one and would like it let me know. I will trade it for a hand shake. Wind was brutal, and all I can say is respect nature. I would like to see Tawakoni from the bank yesterday, I bet it was crazy...

Here is a really good source for wind in the DFW area.
Windalert
Link to Wndalert for DFW

Screenshot of yesterday..
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14158199 10/12/21 02:14 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished from 3pm to dark. Got to spend some time with the Bass Professor, we went straight to sand bass. Went to murrell and started at the drop closest to land, then worked too the very end. Was about to pull the trolling motor, and head towards the island and they started working shad on the surface. We caught some fish for about 40 min, size was 4" to 12" which was a real spread with spoons right on the bottom. Bigger fish will be on the bottom.. The fish are really scattered, and the bait in the clearer water is very sparse. He headed for the house, and i started bass fishing. About 6pm i started checking waypoints, up near the crusher has bait but only gar. Murrell has some bait but very few sandbass. I think they are in wolf packs right now in the lower end end, but right now it's a "right place at the right time" kind of fishing. The lake is still recovering from the high winds, and many parts of the lake have turned. The bass fisherman who know what their doing are the key, the bass are favoring the water that hasn't turned. Wish i had more, but i don't want to sugar coat it. There is so much bait up above twin coves on the humps. I'm seeing large shad popping the surface in Meadomere cove, which is confusing as I'm not seeing the fish. The back of meadomere has turned, but out at the drop it is still clear. We are in a temp battle, which is tough to understand. Share what you see, and what you catch. As it cools down the lake will eventually complete the turn and the cycle will reset. Good luck, and many blessings to all. Cast net is taken.

Last edited by prosise; 10/12/21 02:32 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14159025 10/12/21 10:18 PM
_
__TX__ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
_
we went out there Saturday evening.. the sand bass were right where you said they would be. caught them on a white slab and a white rooster tail. but the boats... my God... wake boats going by 30' away with a wake that made me have to turn my boat into them.. must have been like 20 or 30 of them. we got out there later than i wanted, so it was soon dark and we catfished for a few hours and caught a bunch of small, vicious channels. it was fun and the weather was perfect, so we had a good time. we'll be back during the week or something.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14164166 10/18/21 01:58 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished from 4am to dark. Wonderful day on the lake, weather couldn't be better. Chilly in the AM, and shorts in the afternoon. Fished for the green fish all day, but I caught sandbass at sunrise near Rock Ledge Park. Starting to see some birds migrating, so we should see more winged creatures soon. We really had a good shad spawn, there is bait everywhere.. All the bass I caught today were fat, and really strong. Crossed paths with a bass fisherman and his son that live around the corner from me, will be connecting with him for some fishing soon. Found another anchor, so if you need one let me know. Seeing sandbass on most of the main lake points working shad, but they are not on the surface. Seeing them on the 360, and they are in small wolf packs. Not much to share, but I had a great day bass fishing.

Also ran into a guy Mr "B" who was catfishing. He has been killing them, and had a 54qt ice chest full to the brim drift fishing with shad. They were the good size, not too big. He said he can catch shad on the inside of the island any day. So if you are wanting to get some catfish try drifting just off the bottom with shad. Cannot say where he was fishing, but if you can catch sandbass your in the right area. "Wink Wink"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 10/18/21 02:01 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14167050 10/21/21 12:55 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Had a good day out on the lake with Mr "B". We caught Bass early, sandbass for lunch, followed by crappie for an afternoon snack. Bass bite is really good early. I had some really nice bass before sunrise, then a few decent fish up until mid morning. We transitioned to sandbass and went over to Murrell point, Mr. "B" found them closer to the mouth of the cove of murrell point. We caught a bunch of sandbass, most small with an occasional large one. Saw a brush pile with the 360, and saw the signature of crappie. We caught quite a few crappie there, and after I went to go check another brush pile the sandbass started schooling. In a nutshell the bass bite is good early, then a grind "for me" once the sun comes up. Sandbass are scattered, and in small wolf packs roaming. I found a tremendous amount of shad up on the top of meadomere from the drop to the swim area. Not seeing much sandbass in this area, but I did catch some before I headed to the ramp. Crappie are a whole different story, they are on every brush pile I checked today. Twice I hooked something much bigger than a crappie, and I had no chance. Weather was real nice today, and water temp only dropped about half a degree since sunday. I only fished murrell for sandbass, but I saw people over near the island area. I checked a hump out in front of the island, but it was a ghost town. There are many more birds, and I saw them working shad up on the surface. Migration will show many more birds over the next month, and if your lucky you might see some really cool winged species. The sandbass are "right place at the right time" bite, and even with the hummingbird 360 it is surprising how fast they are moving thru the areas. Didn't see a whole lot of bait near Murrell, but the fish were there. Found a brush pile a while back in meadomere cove, will put a map that will help you find it below. There is a small private marine in meadomere, the mouth of the cove for this marina has a buoy. There is a brush pile about 15 ft from the buoy due west. I caught some good crappie here, with one that wasn't a crappie and tried to spool my light line. I had no chance.

[Linked Image]

Black nose at the Buoy
[Linked Image]
Nice Crappie
[Linked Image]

The Moon this morning was really beautiful, and yes this is the moon.. Probably why the bass bite was so good.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 10/21/21 11:09 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14167542 10/21/21 03:58 PM
S
SwampHunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Nice report, went out last night after catch fish couldn’t find any caught one long nose gar it was a nice evening on the lake

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14168164 10/22/21 04:47 AM
Collindave Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
Thanks Prosise for the good report! looking forward to getting out soon

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14171884 10/26/21 05:09 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Meadomere from swim area all the way to the drop. Smal, med, large, and magnums. Birds galore. It's protected around the point. You can catch fish all day.. will do better report later. Just pulling out.

Been here since 2am, base bite is good for big fish before sunrise.. Lots of bait and sandbass in the cove. Caught fish from 4" to 14.5". Some of the small ones were being attacked on the way to the boat. Got a bunch of screenshots with the 360.. will uoload them after physical therapy..

Kid C.. Send me an instant message and I will send you some gps on those locations you like to fish...

Some treasures from today.

These have been at the lake for a while..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 10/27/21 01:17 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14172574 10/27/21 10:27 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Sorry for the late update.. Here are some screenshots from the 360 at Meadomere. Note>> The wind will be getting higher every day until thursday, when it is expected to be gusting above 45mph. Be safe if you get out this week...
I had the boat hooked up and was walking to the truck with coffee when I felt a cold raindrop. Didn't know rain was coming in, eased boat back into the garage until it eases up. Will go out for a bit this morning.

Weather radar this morning.

[Linked Image]

Where I found sandbass yesterday..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Meadomere screenshots from yesterday, was near the buoy.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dove ramp. You can see bait up shallow, and the marks from motors in the gravel.
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14172868 10/27/21 02:57 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Thanks for the update! I will try to be out Saturday morning to check out he action myself.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14173378 10/27/21 11:18 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished from 9 to 5.. Bass was good until the sun jumped out from behind the heavy cloud cover, the mild wind and heavy cloud cover made for some good bass fishing.. Then the bottom fell out, wind coming out of the north west and got stronger as the day grew. I saw birds working the surface near the island around 11am and they stayed on the fish for over an hour. They started east of the island, and work into the the cove near dove ramp. I was hunting the green fish so i didn't play. About 2pm I eased out to meadomere and the wind was just too strong, not practical to fish. I hunkered down out of the wind, and about 4 the wind appeared to shift more from the west. I got up near the buoy, and caught some fish.
Not spectacular, but I caught them. Lake is getting beat to death, and the water color is changing with the rough water. Saw a boat with 5 people in it drifting in meadomere, and it looked like they were trolling. There was some swells, and I would really like to see the water on Tawakoni today. I bet it was crazy at the dam.. No water color change in the creeks from the rain, water cooling down a bit.. Take care all, heading to the salt mine tomorrow..

Prosise

Page 17 of 20 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide