October Pond Fishing in South Houston #14160952 10/14/21 05:47 PM
B
bigredz Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Hi all,

New user here but glad to have found this forum.

I live in Pearland and I am taking my 4 yr old nephew fishing for the first time this weekend. I haven't fished in years so it's kind of exciting for me to take along my new partner, not to mention my little guy. We're just going down to the local park pond sanctioned for bank fishing. Anyway, I wanted to know how the cool front that is supposed to roll through here this weekend will affect the fishing? Would anyone be willing to recommend morning or afternoon fishing? I'm going to use live crickets and maybe night crawlers. Still good?

Thanks in advance if you can provide some advice.

Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14161019 10/14/21 06:30 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Usually a early front in October will have little effect on sunfish in a pond. I would start fishing around 9 or 10 in the morning. Late morning bites and afternoon bites have been good for me all year on the places I fish. I would keep it very basic with a 4 year old. Light tackle. 5 foot rod, small spinning reel with six pound test line. Size eight cricket or regular hooks. Use with either a bobber or fish off the bottom. Also try fishing by overhanging tree branches, shaded areas on the water, and rock areas if around. Use live worm for the best results. Hope you can catch a few and let us know how you do. Love seeing the kiddos taking part in fishing. thumb

Side Note: Also welcome to the TFF. Glad to have you on board. Looking forward to seeing more of your post! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14161166 10/14/21 09:18 PM
B
bigredz Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Hey @banker-always fishing, thanks so much for the prompt reply.

The weather guessers are stating Sunday morning temps will ease towards into the high fifties by 11a but was thinking it may be a bit too cold for my little partner so was thinking it may have to wait until later in the afternoon. Guess I'll have to tweak our plans as we get closer. I do appreciate your tackle recommendations. Fortunately, I do have quite a bit when I was living in Louisiana. I'll have to go in and do a maintenance check on the lightweight rig I plan to take. I'm going to buy him a snoopy rod/reel combo (do they still make them?) or something similar as a starter package for him. It's tradition. smile I've never heard of #8 crickets, are these 5/8" size? I was just going to Petco to pick up feeder crickets. Maybe I'll have to alter these shopping plans and plan a trip to the danger zone that is the Bass Pro Shop.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post pictures, especially if I can brag on him catching his first!!

Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14161345 10/14/21 11:14 PM
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
You should be good starting in the afternoon. thumb

Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14161387 10/14/21 11:41 PM
P
psalty Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Like Banker-Always Fishing- Welcome aboard and be sure to have lot's of patience as well as the proud moments.
If possible retain video/pics for extra fine memories.
The #8 is the size of the hooks he was referring to. Also, Banker always has many records to back up his advice and the recommended worms is premium.
Also, I was not aware that Petco and/or Bass Pro sold the crickets.
You're right the BP is a addictive place to visit and the one in Pearland has always been great.
Take the young'un to BP for the aquarium opportunity.
Also looking to future pics. welcome fish

Matthew 4:19
Script-Lures by Psalty
founder and directed by the Big Fisherman
Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: psalty] #14163384 10/17/21 02:53 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by psalty
Like Banker-Always Fishing- Welcome aboard and be sure to have lot's of patience as well as the proud moments.
If possible retain video/pics for extra fine memories.
The #8 is the size of the hooks he was referring to. Also, Banker always has many records to back up his advice and the recommended worms is premium.
Also, I was not aware that Petco and/or Bass Pro sold the crickets.
You're right the BP is a addictive place to visit and the one in Pearland has always been great.
Take the young'un to BP for the aquarium opportunity.
Also looking to future pics. welcome fish

Plus #1. and welcome

Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14164600 10/18/21 04:54 PM
B
bigredz Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Hi all.

Thanks for the warm invite. I appreciate it.

And thanks for all the advice. I took the kiddo close to 12p after we loaded up at the local Buccees. Nothing like hopping a kid up on sugar before you give him back to their parents!

I knew the first time out we'd be super lucky to get a fish on and, as expected, he was more interested in the bait worms and crickets. Sugar didn't help. LOL!

I hadn't been to the pond in the past 10 years and the grass all around has really overgrown. I should've gone around the other way since they've redone all the park paths. Anyway, landed on the other side of the pond and didn't think about the breeze blowing the bobber back towards us so that was a challenge beyond showing how to cast the line. But he was kind of getting the hang of it and managed a couple of good casts. I'm going to do another recon on the area to see if we can find a better spot and invite him back.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For all you retired guys, enjoy the weather this week! Wished I was on the water with ya!

Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14164722 10/18/21 07:02 PM
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Lifetime Memories Made bigredz. That is what it is all about. thumb

Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14165819 10/19/21 07:59 PM
P
Pot licker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Great post bigredz and awesome memories made! cheers

Side Note welcome to you TFF

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14338220 04/08/22 02:00 PM
B
bigredz Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Hi all. We hadn't had a chance to go back to the pond but I'm super excited to take my little guy (nephew) and his dad out to the same pond, tomorrow. His dad promised that he's been practicing the casting into a bucket in his back yard to help getting him pumped. Just gotta remember to hit the petco for some worms tonight! Maybe this time we can land something fun he can gawp at.

Re: October Pond Fishing in South Houston [Re: bigredz] #14352945 04/26/22 01:50 PM
B
bigredz Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Ha! We caught nothing but danged turtles. Seems to be an infestation of 'em. I'm imagining they've eaten the smaller fish already and/or just scaring them off. Every time we dropped a line on a bobber, a couple of 'em would just bob to the top and check out appetizers. I wasn't about to reach in their mouths to unhook them so I just cut the hook as close as I could without risking a bite. In the salt water, that would be okay since they would eventually just rust/fall out but with freshwater, I'm not so sure. Guess we need to find a different fishin' hole!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide