texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
revjbp, BjDesign, Russell Vernon, lysis, Santa Crus Kayaks
116316 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 105,988
hopalong 101,953
Pilothawk 81,586
John175☮ 80,610
Bigbob_FTW 78,280
JDavis7873 67,408
Derek 🐝 67,326
Mark Perry 64,962
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics1,147,864
Posts15,630,767
Members141,316
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
free rig #14153447 10/07/21 01:35 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 866
H
harvey walker Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
H
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 866
Have you tried the FREE RIG?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14153659 10/07/21 04:35 PM
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 150
5
572Fitter Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
5
Joined: May 2021
Posts: 150
Following

Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14153686 10/07/21 04:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,904
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,904
Doesn't do anything a t rig wont do

Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14153702 10/07/21 05:14 PM
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 78
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 78
A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.

Re: free rig [Re: SwimbaitRanger] #14153746 10/07/21 05:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,904
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 6,904
Originally Posted by SwimbaitRanger
A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.




Sure it does

Re: free rig [Re: tmd11111] #14153923 10/07/21 08:24 PM
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,981
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
J
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 6,981
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by SwimbaitRanger
A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.




Sure it does


That was pretty definitive. Where's the mic drop emoji?


"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: free rig [Re: tmd11111] #14154066 10/07/21 10:50 PM
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 78
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by tmd11111
[quote=SwimbaitRanger]A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.




Sure it does[/quote
To your point it’s similar, I won’t deny that but the guy was standing directly over his tank jigging the two lures. I think it would have been a better test if he had made a cast into a pool and put some distance on it. Kind of like vertically fishing a drop shot vs casting a drop shot

Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14154110 10/07/21 11:46 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 663
bassnman Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 663
I agree the test was pretty worthless. A cast or a flip would have been more meaningful. I gotta think if the weights are the same weight and the baits are equal they are the same.

Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14154454 10/08/21 12:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 866
H
harvey walker Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
H
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 866
I have seen one where you tie the wight on the end of the line and the bait is what is free to side up and down the line.

Last edited by harvey walker; 10/08/21 12:56 PM.
Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14154734 10/08/21 05:17 PM
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 78
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 78
Originally Posted by harvey walker
I have seen one where you tie the wight on the end of the line and the bait is what is free to side up and down the line.

I could see that working but you’d probably have to buy hooks with a welded eye. I believe most are just rolled and the end of the wire can catch your knot every once in a while

Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14154881 10/08/21 07:35 PM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,165
T
the skipper Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,165
Originally Posted by harvey walker
I have seen one where you tie the wight on the end of the line and the bait is what is free to side up and down the line.

Would be hard to set the hook when a fish is 5ft from the weight. Plus I'm not sure it would cast worth a flip. Your weight would take off twice as far as your bait.

Re: free rig [Re: SwimbaitRanger] #14155162 10/09/21 01:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,137
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,137
Originally Posted by SwimbaitRanger
Originally Posted by tmd11111
[quote=SwimbaitRanger]A free rig falls more vertically because of the ring in the weight. A Texas rig will glide further on a drag or hop because more of the line is inside the weight. The free rig has been my MVP this year since I first picked it up. Excels around vertical cover and pressured fish.




Sure it does[/quote
To your point it’s similar, I won’t deny that but the guy was standing directly over his tank jigging the two lures. I think it would have been a better test if he had made a cast into a pool and put some distance on it. Kind of like vertically fishing a drop shot vs casting a drop shot

Never fished a free rig but the main difference in my mind is the texas rig sinker has a small hole the other sinker has a much larger opening for line to slide thru. Just saying and water tank was useless test.
May try it


Drug induced moment of absolute mental clarity
Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14155195 10/09/21 01:37 AM
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,292
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,292
When I first started lure fishing as a kid, this was my Texas Rig - Family was bait fishing and I just leveraged the same weights we used for that...


David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360
Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14155391 10/09/21 12:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,140
3
361V Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
3
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,140
Saw “Free Rig” and thought someone was giving away a boat! 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️. Seriously, hardly a “game changer”. Small differences to a normal T-rig and not as weedless.

Re: free rig [Re: harvey walker] #14155957 10/10/21 12:36 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,556
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,556
Originally Posted by harvey walker
Have you tried the FREE RIG?


Yes I have (on a lake) and decided to just stick with the Tx. rig instead.

Last edited by ezbassin; 10/10/21 12:37 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3