texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,764
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Best flat head lake in north Texas ? #14147202 10/01/21 01:38 PM
S
SwampHunter Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
What do y’all consider the best flat head as far as numbers wise in north Texas ?
I usually fish the river for them but have caught them in grapevine

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14147258 10/01/21 02:15 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Tough question right there. Don't see, or maybe just don't hear, of too many folks specifically targeting them. Or if they are, they aren't talking much... lol. By far the toughest cat to specifically target. I think most of our lakes have them, and probably have a good number of them.

I had a night this past spring, right before the flooding, where I caught 8 in a matter of several hours. Granted, they were all small, but it was still 8 and imo that's a solid trip when talking flatties.

But to your question: Ray Hubbard, Tawakoni, Lewisville (El Gato will comment at some point). I think those 3 are all solid choices for a fair shot them, but again, I think any area lake is plenty capable of producing them.

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: TRH (formerly xpress00)] #14147360 10/01/21 03:41 PM
S
SwampHunter Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
8 is a pretty solid day of flatheads

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14147411 10/01/21 04:21 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Trent is a High level angler and he makes it look easy. It ain’t! We used to have a fair amount of success when I was a younger man on Lewisville fishing the drop off at the end of the old boat ramps or just below the floodgates. Lewisville used to hold the world record for Flatheads when I was a boy and it was very common to see 80 pounders coming out of that lake. There’s been a huge loss of habitat due to the age of the lake and there’s not that much timber anymore. When I was a boy it was heavily timbered. The biggest fish I see these days all come out of heavy Timber lakes. Ray Hubbard, Lavon and Twok are where I see most of the dinosaur yellas coming out in North Texas. All these lakes hold them but it’s the Timberlakes that seem to have the biggest Flatties and the Canyon Lakes that seem to have the highest numbers. Anywhere with timber or rocks will hold them. We still catch a few every year by accident but rarely do we ever catch one over 30 pounds out of Lewisville. We started targeting them this year again with a little success and I did hook into one this spring up in Hickory Creek that was something special but it worked me into the fallen timber I was fishing and broke me off. Most of the guys that target them specifically are fishing the rivers like the Brazos. Hope you get into em cuz they are fun to catch!

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14147472 10/01/21 05:02 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
Trent is a High level angler and he makes it look easy. It ain’t! We used to have a fair amount of success when I was a younger man on Lewisville fishing the drop off at the end of the old boat ramps or just below the floodgates. Lewisville used to hold the world record for Flatheads when I was a boy and it was very common to see 80 pounders coming out of that lake. There’s been a huge loss of habitat due to the age of the lake and there’s not that much timber anymore. When I was a boy it was heavily timbered. The biggest fish I see these days all come out of heavy Timber lakes. Ray Hubbard, Lavon and Twok are where I see most of the dinosaur yellas coming out in North Texas. All these lakes hold them but it’s the Timberlakes that seem to have the biggest Flatties and the Canyon Lakes that seem to have the highest numbers. Anywhere with timber or rocks will hold them. We still catch a few every year by accident but rarely do we ever catch one over 30 pounds out of Lewisville. We started targeting them this year again with a little success and I did hook into one this spring up in Hickory Creek that was something special but it worked me into the fallen timber I was fishing and broke me off. Most of the guys that target them specifically are fishing the rivers like the Brazos. Hope you get into em cuz they are fun to catch!

Lol... thanks man, but i'm not so sure about that High Level.. Maybe lucky level!!
I'll say this, I'm normally targeting blues right now, but this thread sure is making me want to hit some flatties... Maybe I'll do a split trip tomorrow. Blues tomorrow morning, then flatties tomorrow night... bolt

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14147663 10/01/21 08:12 PM
S
SwampHunter Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
I usually hit the Trinity for them but it’s been couple years since I have tried to specifically catch them so I will let y’all know if I get a chance to soon

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14148049 10/02/21 08:53 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have seen the noodlers out on Twok. That says Flatty to me. I have caught tons of Blues on Lavon but only one 5 pound flathead. Not targeting them but I would think if there were a lot of them in there we would run into one now and then and we just don't...

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14148051 10/02/21 09:18 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Your lake has lots of Flatheads amigo! My fishing buddies catch them every year there and have my entire life. Only time we catch them while Bluecatn on Lewisville is when I’m dragging live bait or a whole bluegill for the most part and even then it’s only 1 or 2 per year. I can’t ever remember catching one on cut Shad in the lake in the last 20 yrs but I probably have . How often do you fish with live bait or whole bluegill on Lavon? Cut Shad just doesn’t seem to catch them very good here like it does in other parts of the country. You get up in that Timber and throw some live Gills around the root flare of those submerged trees and I’d bet the house you’d start catching them more often. The main reason you see more hand fishing on Twok is because it’s out in the country snd country boys noodle more than city boys.

Last edited by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀; 10/02/21 09:24 AM.

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14148054 10/02/21 10:17 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have fished with live bluegill but all it's gotten me is tangled. Those pesky things like to swim into my other lines and get me all messed up!

My brother is in town this weekend and I'm getting ready to go pick him up at his hotel and head to Lavon. Wish us luck!

Last edited by Catfish Tim; 10/02/21 10:17 AM.

Catfish Tim

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14150718 10/04/21 11:50 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
If they like to hang out in Timber, then Ray Bob should be near the top of that list, as well as Granbury. All have tons of submerged timber. Brazos also has a lot of fallen timber on the edge of the river. I know Lake Worth, has a some solid flatheads, as does Eagle Mountain. Lake Worth probably has larger numbers.

Last edited by z289sec; 10/04/21 11:54 PM.
Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: Catfish Tim] #14151272 10/05/21 03:08 PM
S
SwampHunter Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Put a big enough weight and the bluegill won’t drag it around on a 3 way rig short leader for it

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14151282 10/05/21 03:18 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
We catch quite a few of them on Palo Pinto

Cut Shad and live perch while fishing for blues

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: Fish Killer] #14151327 10/05/21 03:55 PM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Fish Killer
We catch quite a few of them on Palo Pinto

Cut Shad and live perch while fishing for blues

Man I wish we caught quite a few drifting with cut bait on Lewisville. We average 1-2 per year and we fish just about every week. I don’t ever remember catching one on cut Shad but we probably have. Most of ours come in October or early spring when I’m dragging whole big baits.

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14151399 10/05/21 04:48 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I'm gonna have to hit the trees on Lavon with live bait and see what happens. The one small flathead I did catch was on a suspended rig in those trees.

Catfish Tim

Re: Best flat head lake in north Texas ? [Re: SwampHunter] #14151534 10/05/21 06:34 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Don’t forget ray roberts.

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread