Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lake Dunlap UPDATE #14142186 09/27/21 12:32 AM
doctorxring Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler

My friend that lives on Lake Dunlap sent me an update today on what is going on with the repair of the dam so I thought I would pass it over to you guys —

Copied below —

“The dam is coming along. They have built a trestle bridge across to move equipment from one side to the other. A coffer dam around the first gate has been constructed and they are beginning to drain the water from behind it. Afterward, they will begin pouring concrete. Also beginning the reinforcement on both sides of the dam.

The contract states they have until May of 2023 to finish barring weather or flood events. I think they will be finished sooner but can’t say anything for fear of everyone uprising if they don’t finish it.

Next problem to be addressed is the growth along the lake bed. We keep everything in front of us mowed and maintained. Not the case along other areas of the lake bed. In some areas, it looks like a forest of cottonwoods! We’ve been told it will take at least 6 months to clean the river banks up. Now the question is, who will have to pay for it.”

You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: doctorxring] #14142298 09/27/21 02:03 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Thanks for the update Doc. I have heard the same from friends of mine who live on the lake also. Good news indeed.

Side Note: Would be nice if the GBRA would do and pay for the cleanup ! Just my two cents. 2cents

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: doctorxring] #14142390 09/27/21 04:59 AM
D
David Newton Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Dunlap schmunlap. Only good news for a few people who have access. If they put in a public ramp that would be nice.

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: doctorxring] #14142399 09/27/21 08:05 AM
V
Vogey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
V
David...There is a public ramp on Dunlap. I have used it a thousand times...under the bridge in New Braunfels. I believe you may have Dunlap confused with lake McQueeney...

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: Vogey] #14142675 09/27/21 04:27 PM
D
David Newton Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted by Vogey
David...There is a public ramp on Dunlap. I have used it a thousand times...under the bridge in New Braunfels. I believe you may have Dunlap confused with lake McQueeney...

Probably no confusion but possibly a difference in understanding of where Dunlap begins and the Guadalupe ends. I've put in at the 35 and gone all the way down to the dam. I assume that's where you mean by under the bridge in New Braunfels. Apologies if not. I was considering it the river until Google maps labels it as Dunlap, approximately where it widens out. That's about 4 miles as the river goes from the 35. And a couple sections along that stretch are fast moving which cant be paddled back upriver. If there is another ramp I'm unaware of that would be great news.

Mcqueeney is in the same boat. No public access except upriver about 4.3 miles at that utility company property. And even that spot is contested with someone putting private property signs up. Too bad too because I need a good crappie spot!

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: doctorxring] #14145309 09/29/21 06:46 PM
L
LukeMTx Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
L

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: LukeMTx] #14145311 09/29/21 06:49 PM
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: doctorxring] #14145424 09/29/21 08:24 PM
V
Vogey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
V
David...There is another ramp about midway down the river from the i-35 that is a pay ramp...at least it used to be b4 it became just a creek like waterway. I can't remember the name of it, but I believe Chuck has used it in the past. Now, whether they are still open is another question.

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: Vogey] #14145987 09/30/21 12:26 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
David...There is another ramp about midway down the river from the i-35 that is a pay ramp...at least it used to be b4 it became just a creek like waterway. I can't remember the name of it, but I believe Chuck has used it in the past. Now, whether they are still open is another question.

It's called Schumann's Beach. Last I heard it was closed. I have used it a lot and there is even public restrooms there. It was $5.00 to use the ramp.

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: doctorxring] #14147479 10/01/21 05:04 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Good news indeed. Hope Dunlap can make a good comeback.

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: Laker One] #14148122 10/02/21 01:20 PM
D
David Newton Offline
Angler
Angler
D

Originally Posted by Laker One
It's called Schumann's Beach. Last I heard it was closed. I have used it a lot and there is even public restrooms there. It was $5.00 to use the ramp.

Well this is certainly good to know. Thanks for the info. Let's hope it reopens once the dam is complete and the lake is filled. Now if you could point out something similar for Mcqueeney I could go snag some crappie...

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: David Newton] #14148254 10/02/21 04:21 PM
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by David Newton

Well this is certainly good to know. Thanks for the info. Let's hope it reopens once the dam is complete and the lake is filled. Now if you could point out something similar for Mcqueeney I could go snag some crappie...

As far as Mcqueeney goes the only ramp is down off of FM 725 and it is not in that good of shape. It is a ways from the main lake. Unless you know someone with lake access that lives on the lake you can't get on it. Property owners on Mcqueeney have total control of that lake. They also let you know that! eeks

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: banker-always fishing] #14148518 10/02/21 09:02 PM
D
David Newton Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
As far as Mcqueeney goes the only ramp is down off of FM 725 and it is not in that good of shape. It is a ways from the main lake. Unless you know someone with lake access that lives on the lake you can't get on it. Property owners on Mcqueeney have total control of that lake. They also let you know that! eeks

Yeah it maps out to 4.3 miles. If there is no rough water and I can paddle/pedal back it might be worth it.

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: David Newton] #14149023 10/03/21 01:48 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L

Yeah it maps out to 4.3 miles. If there is no rough water and I can paddle/pedal back it might be worth it.

No rough water. There are even a couple of spots along the way that you can catch some pretty nice Bluegill and Redear. As for the main lake there are plenty of crappie, bass, sunfish, and catfish. I would suggest to fish in the fall, winter, and very early spring. Late spring through summer the lake turns into a circus with plenty of clowns. nuts

Re: Lake Dunlap UPDATE [Re: Laker One] #14149123 10/03/21 03:55 PM
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head

No rough water. There are even a couple of spots along the way that you can catch some pretty nice Bluegill and Redear. As for the main lake there are plenty of crappie, bass, sunfish, and catfish. I would suggest to fish in the fall, winter, and very early spring. Late spring through summer the lake turns into a circus with plenty of clowns. nuts

Yes Sir Curtis you and your buddies know that part of the Guadalupe very well! You are 100 percent right about the circus! bang

Side Note: It also helps having a friend that has both dock and ramp on the main lake! coolio Will you please ask him to let me have total access to both dock and ramp! coolio

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide