Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Using Lures You Found on the Lake #14146915 10/01/21 02:33 AM
Kat-man-do Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Once many years ago in the parking lot of a nearby lake, as I was putting my boat in the water I noticed a decrepit, black, disgusting looking old beat up stick type piece of plastic laying on the ramp. I picked it up. It had obviously been laying out there forever because it was extremely pliable, soft and flimsy and had a few hook holes here and there. The poor thing. I slung it into the boat. At some time during that early morning I put it on a worm hook, weightless. I proceeded to catch bass until just after noon, until I lost it to a fish. I had a large collection of every lure known to man (and Mann) but I could not get bit on anything. I went back to the ramp to see if there was another on of these "things" laying around. Nothing.

That was my first introduction to the sluggo and plastic jerk baits. I cannot imagine how much money I spent trying to reproduce that one bait I found and I've done really well with those baits since, but what an odd scenario.

Have you ever found a lure on the lake and used it successfully? Ever learned a new "trick" with it?

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14146962 10/01/21 03:12 AM
H
HookaToad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Not really found on the lake but back about 25 years ago my late brother and I would go fishing every chance we got and he would kick my butt with a lake fork french fry. THis happened over and over again until one day I received a four count sample pack of a new bait with my BASS subscription renewal. Thought they looked stupid, tied one on anyway and all of a sudden it was on and it was I who started doing the butt kicking and was never beat by that french fry again. It was a 5 inch green pumpkin Senko. I believe other people have had some success with that bait as well.

Good Fishing and God Bless

“I’d rather be a failure at something I enjoy than to be a success at something I hate”

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14146994 10/01/21 04:10 AM
sdavis24 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Not too exciting but I've gotten bit on a white Snag Proof popping frog I found last year. Looked brand new and was easy to retrieve, so I'm not sure why the angler who lost didn't just grab it.

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14147066 10/01/21 11:29 AM
B
Budlitego Offline
Angler
Angler
B
When I was a kid I found a chrome with a black back Big O on the Tyler State Park lake, best dang bait. I think I still have it somewhere.

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14147213 10/01/21 01:44 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I was at a pay to fish bass pond place and found a orange spinner bait with big orange Colorado blades.
Tied it on, and caught fish after fish at that place up to #4-#5 pounds. I've tried it at Fork, Monticello, Welsh, Holbrook,
and others,......not a bite ! fish

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14147610 10/01/21 06:55 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Not really a "lure" story, When I was about 13 I was fishing Bob Hall Pier once and ran out of bait. Weekday night, not a soul on the pier. I walked up and down till I went to one of the fish cleaning stations and found a few fish pieces. Took those and put them on a hook and proceeded to catch bigger perch. Cut up the bigger perch and caught a stingray. Cut up the stingray and caught 5 sharks that night. Had the best time!!

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14147743 10/01/21 09:29 PM
D
David Newton Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I found a crazy looking crankbait once. It was a bat/Batman themed crankbait that I've never seen since. This was back in Korea so I doubt they have it here. It was black back faded to a white belly. Had a Batman bat logo on the head. It had the bat wing shaped bill and two brass bat wing shaped blades on the side held on with eyelets.

I've caught exactly one fish on a crankbait in my life. It was literaly on the only cast I ever made with that free bait. The next cast it got hung up and I lost it...

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14147903 10/02/21 01:04 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
In my younger years, half a century ago, I didn’t have much money and walked the banks fishing and looking for lures. I have boxes full of lures I have found. Some of the best were a hula-popper, Mann razor back, and Mann Finn. I caught hundreds of bass on these lures. The razor back in the center is the only lure I actually went diving to retrieve. roflmao

[Linked Image]

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: David Newton] #14149524 10/03/21 09:39 PM
H
HookaToad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Originally Posted by David Newton
I found a crazy looking crankbait once. It was a bat/Batman themed crankbait that I've never seen since. This was back in Korea so I doubt they have it here. It was black back faded to a white belly. Had a Batman bat logo on the head. It had the bat wing shaped bill and two brass bat wing shaped blades on the side held on with eyelets.

I've caught exactly one fish on a crankbait in my life. It was literaly on the only cast I ever made with that free bait. The next cast it got hung up and I lost it...

I always know what lure that I have in the boat will work. There is only one. Guaranteed to catch a fish and equally guaranteed to break off on the next cast and guaranteed that nothing in the boat will work after that. Happens ALL the time.

Good Fishing and God Bless

“I’d rather be a failure at something I enjoy than to be a success at something I hate”

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14153729 10/07/21 05:33 PM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I had recently moved to Texas from the Midwest, this was back in 2011. I was having trouble adapting and catching fish. I was walking around a small lake one day with my son and found a 2-inch white curly tail on a jig head. Never used such a lure before. We weren't fishing that day. Next outing for me and I started catching fish on it, including a pile of crappie that eventually wore it out. I could not find a similar looking one anywhere. Mister Twister produces a good curly tail, but nothing beats that lucky find!

It was a different world when we were boys and girls....
Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14153871 10/07/21 07:27 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
After one of the big tournaments on Sam Rayburn I’ll go down and fish around the popular spots in the area I live. Always find some good lures hanging in the trees or buck brush. 6th sense , whopper ploppers, Livingston lures, z man chatter baits. Strike king. All kinds of stuff. Kinda fun actually. One of my favorite 6 XD baits I found in a cypress tree. Lol

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14156505 10/10/21 04:18 PM
L
lconn4 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
[Linked Image]

Had high hopes for this one, Yo-Zuri 3DB in Prism Parrot color.. nada. Have thrown it several times and know yozuri makes quality baits as I’ve used their salt water stuff.

[Linked Image]

Haven’t thrown this one but think it might be a winner.. no name on it. Interesting design. Can’t remember where I found it.

[Linked Image]

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: TXfisherman12] #14157226 10/11/21 02:22 AM
D
David Newton Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted by TXfisherman12
I had recently moved to Texas from the Midwest, this was back in 2011. I was having trouble adapting and catching fish. I was walking around a small lake one day with my son and found a 2-inch white curly tail on a jig head. Never used such a lure before. We weren't fishing that day. Next outing for me and I started catching fish on it, including a pile of crappie that eventually wore it out. I could not find a similar looking one anywhere. Mister Twister produces a good curly tail, but nothing beats that lucky find!

Where abouts did you find this white 2 inch curly tail? I primarily use such a bait that I brought back from Asia. Damiki brand I believe. I lose them fairly often and I don't see any American brands that look similar. Just a guess.

Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: David Newton] #14160305 10/14/21 01:55 AM
T
TXfisherman12 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by David Newton
Originally Posted by TXfisherman12

Where abouts did you find this white 2 inch curly tail? I primarily use such a bait that I brought back from Asia. Damiki brand I believe. I lose them fairly often and I don't see any American brands that look similar. Just a guess.

Found it in on the banks of a small lake in George Bush park west of Houston off hwy 6.

It was a different world when we were boys and girls....
Re: Using Lures You Found on the Lake [Re: Kat-man-do] #14163015 10/16/21 10:20 PM
C
Cringe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
3 Years of lures washing up on my property(Toledo Bend}...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide