Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14136876 09/21/21 04:29 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Side note . We ran the redneck thumper half the day, and music the other half.. But if you have a thumper let it roll. I say that it did keep them interested. Wasnt seeing any bait schools on the 360. And down sonar wasn't showing much, they appeared to be right on the bottom. When some activity would start they would concentrate. But they hung around all afternoon. some big gar may have drove them out occasionally, as it would slow down. But they woukd trickle back, and we would start picking them up.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14139784 09/24/21 03:03 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
9/23 - 4:30 till 7:00 Scouted out west, Rock Crusher area and didn't find any numbers to stop. Moved over to the Murrell point area and we searched around and found a stable school to sit on. We caught allot of fish, but only 1 in 5 or 6 were 10" or longer. water temp 81°. Never found any larger fish tonight. Great night, maybe 3 boats around and I think we all had fish on. 3/4 and 1oz slabs Chartreuse/chrome or white/chrome.

I did have a talk with a jet skier that thought the Meadowmere boat ramp area was a good place to run full speed in. I'm sure the paddle board renters were a little on edge while she was blasting through them.
I guess game wardens never patrol Grapevine. 4+ years of almost weekly fishing and have yet to see one. Rant over.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14139910 09/24/21 05:10 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
When we stopped over at those areas (north of the crusher) the other day, there wasn't much to see at all. It almost looked like they came out of nowhere when we started thumping. Only thing seen was some fish just at the edge of the drop on the high spots, but nothing to write home about. If you get out and go up, give it a try for 10 mins and see if anything comes in to play. ALso, was curious if you can still see the water color change near the crusher. Itching to get out, will be going out early Sunday morning to chase the green fish. Thx for the update, been seeing the wake zones getting abused pretty bad. The bouys behind dove going back to McPherson are really out of wack. It looks like the east side of the cove is no wake, and the right is not.. Appreciate the update JWC, been eager to see some news.

Last edited by prosise; 09/24/21 05:12 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14142358 09/27/21 02:59 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished from 410am to about 730pm. Water is cooler, wx is easier to fish in. Unfortunately we will be in cold wx gear soon. Good day out on the lake, and i met many new people. Fished for bass from 410 to about 8am. Crossed paths with a very nice couple who were out in front of twin coves, told them i might know where some sand bass were. Checked the waypoint that i posted last week, and there were fish there. Had a good visit with lady "k" and her husband Mr. "R". They came over and we caught some fish, but it wasn't fast and furious. The fish were just off the edge of the shallow hump. The hump is about 20ft at the top, but one side goes to the channel. It had fish but sporadic, and most were small. After they headed out, i went to the beach and started cleaning. Will spend about 16 hours cleaning out the trash and any treasure that is there. Today put in 4hrs, and found allot of junk, and a stainless womens ring. When i left there, i headed right back to the same waypoint, and caught sandbass. Flagged down some suspicious looking guys, and we caught some fish. Gave them my 2 minutes of tips on how i was using the spoon and they went to town. Mr. "D" kicked but, and "BJ" was right behind him. It was also sporadic, and allot of smaller fish. Did help them with some fish for the cooler, and had a good visit with them. Gave one of them a large Cordell spoon, which he used very well. They were very appreciative, and i was happy to see them get some fish in the boat. Haven't dialed into the fish in the last 10 days, just picking up scraps. Will do some looking, and see if i can nail down a solid pattern/area for them. The upper end has turned, and you can still see the water color change. Below twin coves it's clear, and a little above you can see the light green color change. Some bait has moved into this of color water, but i was still seeing plenty near dove ramp when i pulled out. (Upper end) There is allot of bait in the 26ft range in the upper off color water near the waypoint i fished. Above this on the hump it's very clean, with occasional fish seen. With the Bluetooth speaker booming, the fish seen to concentrate near the drop by the boat. You just have to dial in on them. The thing i have found, is the spoon/slab has to be on the bottom. Try not to work it to hard, lightly raise the spoon, and keep tension on the line as it falls back to the bottom. We did 10x better casting out away from the boat, and working it back. This approach yields better results, and also allows you to search for them. If your anchored, your boat might swing a little, so try and pick a landmark. Many thanks to all the people i met today, you made my day.. I love getting people on fish, and Mr. "R" had his better half with him on the lake. Your a lucky man, much like me. I have a "Broke the Mold" wife. Cannot say enough good things about her. She loves football, and she tells me to hit the road. I don't do sports, unless I am hanging with the neck of the household.. she knows I'm the head of the household, and the neck turns the head. So I'm good with that. Many bass boats out today, don't know if there were multiple club tourneys, but it seemed heavy to me. Not that many wake boats, which was nice.

Many blessings to all, and stay safe..

Prosise

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14144658 09/29/21 02:00 AM
H
huskertex Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Mr. "D" and I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Prosise Sunday afternoon. At first I wasn't sure if he was waving us away, or flagging us over. Fortunately, it was the latter. He was on fish, and now we were too. Thank you for the tips, the spoon, and the good company, Brent. We enjoyed catching quite a few fish, thanks to you! Not many are as helpful as you, and we certainly appreciate that. I hope I have the opportunity to "pay it forward", as you say. Thanks again!

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14147297 10/01/21 02:37 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Well I did venture out yesterday evening. Not a smart move. We did find fish as soon as we got there. Caught 10 or 12 real quick on slabs in 22' water and then the wind began to blow and the waves were building. So we had a short 30 min fishing trip. The fish disappeared on us anyway. 78 deg water and only 3 boats out. I can't understand why hammer

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14147375 10/01/21 03:54 PM
rkd Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
We'll be out there tomorrow chasing the green fish. I will report back if we see any topwater schooling action.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14148436 10/02/21 07:15 PM
S
Sawyer S Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
S
I was out there for a couple hours this morning fishing for bass. I caught one pretty big bass, I'm guessing maybe around 4 pounds on a shakey head. Another small one on a crankbait.

Water temps were around 78 degrees. There was a lot of bait fish in the cove with the small neighborhood marina. There were a ton of gar on the back side of the marina.

Tight lines everyone

Joshua 1:9
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14150095 10/04/21 02:50 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Fished yesterday from 4am to dark. Fished for Bass in the morning, then did some scouting about 11am. Did not find a whole lot of fish up past Twin Coves, but there is tons of bait in the off color water. Headed up to the beach and did some cleaning. Lake traffic was low, and wind direction out of the north west. About 5pm I headed down, and still didn't see much on the humps. Headed over to the drop in front of Meadomere and found fish. Fish were about 30 yards up on the top of the drop in some, smaller fish chasing shad on top sporadically. Caught fish, but it was spotty as the groups of fish were moving quickly. Never really could stay on them, but they were in the area. Headed down and spot checked several humps out near the island, and they were ghost towns.. Going back out a couple more times this week, so hopefully will dial in on some better sandbass. Bass bite is real good before sunrise, and gets tough when the sun comes up. Didn't go near Murrell point, so no info.

Feel good moment: Found a wallet out in 5ft of water with my metal detector, guy just called me back. Will be meeting him on Thursday in Richardson to give it back...

Double wammy: wet iphone from last week powered on, dried it out for a week. Owners son coming to get it now. Said he was bummed because he lost pix of grandkids.. if you use a iphone fill out the medical id info on your phone. It helped me contact the owner.

Last edited by prosise; 10/04/21 04:50 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14152010 10/06/21 02:11 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at 4am, fished for the green fish until about 9:30am. Saw a guide boat and another boat out in front of Scotts Landing, they were about 600 yards out in the lake. I side scanned the area as I went thru but didn't see much going on. Did some cleaning up at the beach today, and was not very fruitful. Came down and hit several humps north of the Rock Crusher, but nothing but bait seen. Scanned Meadomere drop and also was just bait, no fish. Hit several humps north of the island and it was vacant. As I eased into Scotts landing I saw bait, and fish out on the drop kind of close to to the main point on the west. Turned on the bluetooth speaker and let it roll, loud. Not only did I catch fish, but their were some big sandbass in the mix. I was in about 24ft, casting back towards the main cove. Working the spoon back, they were all over it.. Caught a good bass early, and some good sandbass in the evening. Pulled out at 7pm with a desire for a cold beverage with a % sign on the label..
Only thing that was a suprise, I put a hook in the hand.. Self Inflicted, and it wasn't going to pull out, had to pull it thru and cut the barb.. Back in the action in a couple minutes.. Been there, and done that many times.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14152060 10/06/21 03:16 AM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Ouch, good report otherwise thumb

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14152920 10/06/21 11:31 PM
M
Marlin Rando Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Ouch ! I hope I never hook myself like that .

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14153132 10/07/21 03:39 AM
P
Piscivore Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I hope you at least iced it first.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14153252 10/07/21 10:47 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
The tough part of the palm is pretty resilient to abuse, but it wasn't wanting to pull out. I left the crying, and "i want my mommy" out of the video.. I made the mistake of sharpening towards my hand, most of the time I go away. My fault, and no excuses..

Forgot to mention a few items that are pretty important about the lake. The upper end water turned back at least 10 days ago, if not more. You can see the line above twin coves where the (greener water that has turned) meets the clearer water from the lower end. If you don't know what I mean when I say water has turned, it in short terms means the water below the thermocline with less oxygen has mixed with the water above it. It can moves some yuck from the bottom surface of the lake to the surface as well. You might see some visual floating small pieces of debris which was coating the bottom of the lake. The back of the cove of Scotts landing ( marina with Big Daddys hamburger joint) has turned as well, and is progressing towards the main lake. I have not been into the other shallower coves but I would think they are also doing the same. My fishing mentor told me to stay in the cleaner water as long as you can for Bass. He tore them (green fish) up yeaterday, and I didn't fish. I layed up in bed resting, and enjoying R&R with the better half. I have been fishing for bass early, staying near bait but I got lucky with a good one, but no numbers like I have been getting in the prev weeks. As for sandbass, I would try and focus on this same tactic before venturing up the lake into the greener water. The usual spots (drops or long points "murrell") should be checked. There is a tremendous amount of bait up the lake, and the water temp is 3 deg cooler at the beach vs main lake near twin coves. But, the areas I scanned didn't show any groups of sandbass, like the lower end. Note, the sandbass that I saw at the mouth of Scotts were stuck to the bottom, and I really wasnt seeing them on the 360. But, when I found them I stayed off of them and picked them off for one hour before they vanished. With Scotts holding so much bait, this could possibly be a good place to repeat an evening bite for a while. So I hope all have a good week, and appreciate the reports from the usual suspects. Please don't hesitate to share any info, as all the little bits of info help others. You can be in a kayak, bank fishing, or someone who is learning.. it all helps. Lastly, when i was catching the sandbass at 5pm on monday, I could see birds working the surface out about 700 yards from where I was spot locked. I don't really like working the surface fish, as they are typically small. With that said, you never know until you try them. If I do fish the area where there is surface action, i try deep for the big lazy girls who are picking up the scraps.

I found a good anchor with chain at the beach out in about 5ft of water, have two good anchors thay need a home. Free to anyone that needs one. I can throw in some really good mule tape (flat small rope used to pull fiber optic cables) in to attach to the anchors.. The rope is amazing, no stretch and rated to 1800 lbs. Works very well, and impervious to decay. I can stash it at the lake, or leave it on the porch if you want to stop by and pick it up. Also, have 5 duck decoys (all different species) that could use a home as its almost time for the migration. People get a kick out of my flower bed when they come by, most people dont have ducks in them.. Instant message me if you are interested, the ducks do not have weights, they were found in debris piles after floods.

Working next 3 days, so will get back out Sunday..

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 10/09/21 01:19 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14154261 10/08/21 02:20 AM
S
SwampHunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Ouch hope your hand is feeling better
Thanks for report !

Page 16 of 20 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread