Forums59
Topics1,039,225
Posts13,961,204
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14141615 09/26/21 02:47 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀
Catfish Tim strikes again! Loosing tackle is part of the game! You gotta pay the cost to be be the Boss buddy! Your lake is chuck full of timber and I know you must have lost a ton of tackle finding driftable runs. I don’t know how on earth you did it without side image!

Chris you know I have had to do it by feel. Literally dragging until I sort of know where the snags are. I have been in new water the last few trips so I'm giving up more than usual. Got put in the work to get it figured out.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14141617 09/26/21 02:49 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Texas Brit
Great catching, Tim!

I saw a lot of birds dive bombing the flats for Shad and didn’t think of throwing the net - doh!

Yup, I need to use my eyes and get my head out of the Navionics, at least some of the time.

Heading out again on Monday early in the dark, now I have gained some confidence launching the boat.

Bob, there can be an intimidation factor putting a boat in in the dark until you've done it a few times. Your get the hang of it and get more comfortable doing it... Good luck out there Monday. I'm out of town again this week.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14141701 09/26/21 03:46 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
^ thanks Tim.

My confidence launching and retrieving is getting better for sure. I am still having challenges getting bait in the net though. The good news is my net casting is getting much mo better, only screwing up every 3Rd cast, but my success getting decent size Shad is pretty bad.

Appreciate you send good vibes down to Lavon in the am, and please give me a wave as you fly over.

Onward and upward!

Last edited by Texas Brit; 09/26/21 03:49 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14143250 09/28/21 12:07 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Second solo trip on Lavon today.

I needed to get some fresh bait, as I haven't had any luck of late on the fish ramps.

Launched in the dark which would have gone much better, IF I had released the winch strap before I reversed it into the water..... DOH!

Regardless, another beautiful Texas morning.

[Linked Image]

My plan was to drift the flats over at Brockdale, then if no joy head for the ditch. I motored up to the boat ramp, it's a quiet one that isn't used much, to try and get some bait.

Voila!

[Linked Image]

Best cast yet, and a ton of most small shad and a few white bass which went back in.

No bites in over an hour on the flats, and managed to get my two planer boards all tangled up. On my last trip there were fish showing everywhere, but not today. So I motored over to the ditch.

I put just two rods out with shad pieces, and less than 10 minutes later a big take down. This fish is fighting like crazy, and hooked up my other rod which got snagged on the prop, but so worth it!

A 21 pound blue cat, and I can't describe the high of getting him in the net.

[Linked Image]

The hook was way in its mouth and seemed to hook on its tongue. Lot's of blood unfortunately but I let him straight back and he swam off ok.

[Linked Image]

One more big bite but I missed it, then about half an hour later another take down, and a nice 11 pound blue cat in the boat. The wind got up and I was drifting at 0.6/0.7mph, which I think may have been a bit fast.

[Linked Image]

Not much biting at first, but patience paid off.

I'm hooked!!

Last edited by Texas Brit; 09/28/21 12:12 AM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: ssfireman] #14143271 09/28/21 12:21 AM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by ssfireman
i will be out there on monday

Did you go? Any luck?

I saw one guy on a big fancy center consol and two other guys in a smaller aluminum boat like mine.

Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14143532 09/28/21 02:40 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
coolphotos Looks like a great trip. Nice post. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14143905 09/28/21 02:37 PM
S
ssfireman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Hey brit I passed you yesterday I was the big white boat. I did ok I ended with a 28 7 5 some smaller ones and a couple of gars lost one other good one in the trees. it was a nice day out there just wish it would cool down some.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: ssfireman] #14143931 09/28/21 02:54 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by ssfireman
Hey brit I passed you yesterday I was the big white boat. I did ok I ended with a 28 7 5 some smaller ones and a couple of gars lost one other good one in the trees. it was a nice day out there just wish it would cool down some.

Excellent!

I saw you motor towards Highland Park so assume that’s where you landed up. I should have carried out some piracy with that fancy big boat of yours - hah!!!

Last edited by Texas Brit; 09/28/21 02:58 PM.

Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14144267 09/28/21 07:28 PM
S
ssfireman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
yup that the area. I was going to stop and talk but it looked like you just got everything out and didn't want to mess you up.

Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14146618 09/30/21 10:43 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Day 3 solo……skunked.

The sky was foreboding on the drive to the lake. Should have been a sign.

[Linked Image]

First up the ditch. It was flat calm and not much showing, but drifted a couple of rods with the trolling motor as it’s close. Nothing, nada. Then tried Fork and same same. Not a nibble.

Next up the Brockwell shallows, and the wind was getting up and drifting at 0.7mph, which I know is fast. No love (I need to get one of those wind sock brake thingies).

I met ssfireman who came by on his huge fancy boat. Great meeting you Steve and thanks for stopping by. It’s funny but my little boat felt like I was in one of those tenders for the big ships - hah! I generously offered to swap boats but he declined laugh

Next up heading up towards the bridges on the east side, and tying to a tree. Great plan but I was getting sea sick bobbing up and down so much on the waves lol. Nope.

Last try back to the ditch. Maybe the fish were feeding now? No take downs but a couple of tiny bites. Assuming they were dinks I struck one half heartedly and hooked a decent size fish. Five seconds later it was off.

I headed back tail between my legs.

I guess that’s why it’s called fishing and not catching haha!

Still a better day than a day at work,

ssfireman - hope you had a good day.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Texas Brit; 09/30/21 10:47 PM.

Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14146627 09/30/21 10:50 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
PS it was threatening to storm but didn’t, and the wind got up to a F3/4 in the squalls.

The water temp is now down to 77F which is good. Next week is forecast to cool off quite a bit.

Re: Lake Lavon, first solo trip [Re: Bluecat Bob] #14146702 09/30/21 11:34 PM
S
ssfireman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
It was great meeting you. i did a little better decided to start off looking for crappie and got 11 nice fish and then switched to cats. I went shallow and ended up doing ok got a 17, 16, 14 and around 8 eaters.up to 8 lbs all fish released ... well except the crappie.. sorry to hear you struck out. it happens. will have to have you on my yacht. lol

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide