Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Old School Toad #14133181 09/17/21 07:02 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Boy do I have a fish story for you guys today!

I was out doing some scouting for Sunday's trip with El Gato Azul and Action Jaxon. Conditions were tough. Water was slick, zero wind and blue bird sky. Got some good bait. Hit a couple spots down south and was only getting dink taps so I went north to the Brockdale flats and started pulling boards.

About 40 minutes in I boated a nice fun sizer, about 12 pounds. Then...

About a half hour later I had drifted to a point just north of the Brockdale ramp. The number one rod gets absolutely crushed. The drag was a little too tight because the fish started to unscrew the pipe on my poor mans multibar. The rod holder laid over and the rod gets pulled out of it and right into the water. No kidding. Right into the lake. So I'm standing there with my mouth hanging open thinking "what the H E Double Hockey sticks do I do now. I thought I need to reel everything up and go get the planer board while it's still on the surface. Then at least I might get my rod and reel back. So I grab the number 2 rod and start cranking. It starts loading up and I realize the fish swam across that line and got tangled in it. I reel a bit more and the rod tip of the rod that got pulled in pops up. I grab it and get it back in the boat. I'm thinking there is no way the fish is still on the line and now I see that he crossed rod number three and four as well. I reach down and grad a hand full of braid and start pulling the mess in and I feel a tug. The fish is still on the hook! I start carefully pulling in line thinking any minute this thing is gonna make a run and cut my fingers to pieces with this braid. But you guys back me up. If you had a toad on the line and the only way to get him in was to handline it, you'd do the same as I was, right? So, I get him up to the boat and I need the net. I look down and my feet are in a big pile of green braid. Not kidding, now I'm tangled too! I can't reach the net. The fish is thrashing around at the back of the boat and I'm thinking I did not go through all this to lose this fish at the last minute. So I reach down and grab him by the jaw and drag him up into the boat. Catfish Tim wins it at the buzzer!

The last picture below is the aftermath before I started cutting. There was no untangling this mess. I didn't even try. But in the end it was worth all the trouble and mess to boat another Lavon toad. Hang on to yourself El Gato! It's gonna be a wild ride Sunday!

[Linked Image]
First fish on the drift. 12 pound fun sizer
[Linked Image]
Troublemaker toad - handlined after trying to steal one of my rods
[Linked Image]
The aftermath...looked like a trailer park after a tornado!

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133213 09/17/21 07:21 PM
๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
That is freakin awesome buddy! The thrill of victory was hanging on by a threadโ€ฆliterally! Lmao!! Pure greatness! I had the same think happen to me. About 6 yrs ago when I first started pulling planer boards I had a toad hammer my rod bending over my Driftmaster as I watched the rod hit the water and take off like a torpedo! It was gone but I could see that planer board moving fast! I reeled everything up quickly and went and grabbed the planer board and the fish was on! I was able to retrieve the planer board and the rod and caught a 30 lbr in the process. Big benefit of planer boarding!!!

Canโ€™t wait to come fish with you and Wyatt Sunday and I know my Jaxon is super excited to fish with Wyatt!! Hopefully we have that good of luck without the rod going overboard! ๐Ÿ€๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ€

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133236 09/17/21 07:40 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Golly gosh, that is one epic fish story!!!

shocked

Nice job at (my best Larry The Cable Guy voice) 'gettin' er dunn'.

cheers

That mess of line puts my tangled mess earlier this past week to shame - lol! I got up this morning to prepare for my trip home from Ray Bob, and saw the lake was like glass. Very pretty, but I was thinking the fishing would suck today so a good time to go.

You did incredible well to get a couple fo good fish out in those conditions.

The only way to beat that story was if you had dove it to wrestle it onto Sandy Too!

Last edited by Texas Brit; 09/17/21 07:43 PM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133324 09/17/21 09:08 PM
C
Candy Man Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Great story Its one you will never forget. I was thinking about make a rig like yours and will now weld everything in place once I
like the position of everything. You did all the testing . But what a way to test. Great Job

Frosty
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133691 09/18/21 04:10 AM
E
Ed-n-eddy Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
E
thumb

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Candy Man] #14133746 09/18/21 10:41 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Candy Man
Great story Its one you will never forget. I was thinking about make a rig like yours and will now weld everything in place once I
like the position of everything. You did all the testing . But what a way to test. Great Job

After what happened, I spun the pipe one more turn. I was thinking about drilling them and putting a pin through them. Welding would be a very good idea. The other thought I had was I need to set the reels in the rod holder instead of leaving them out front of it like I do. That would have saved the rod from going in the water.

Catfish Tim

Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133753 09/18/21 11:00 AM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Reminds me I have some prep work to do later today before the trip tomorrow. Hope y'all can join us on the live stream El Gato is going to put up.

I still need to re-rig some poles, one needs respooled. I need to replace the pole base for my stern light and take out the trash! Gotta make the place presentable when company is comin!

Catfish Tim

Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133788 09/18/21 12:11 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Catfish Tim
Originally Posted by Candy Man

After what happened, I spun the pipe one more turn. I was thinking about drilling them and putting a pin through them. Welding would be a very good idea. The other thought I had was I need to set the reels in the rod holder instead of leaving them out front of it like I do. That would have saved the rod from going in the water.

Add some red thread lock and youโ€™ll be good to go Tim. I leave my reels in front of the holders as well and have never had an issue.

Last edited by ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€; 09/18/21 12:14 PM.

โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133865 09/18/21 01:40 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Do you have a link to the Livestream? I would love to poke fun/give you griefsupport you guys tomorrow.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14133891 09/18/21 02:10 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I tried to copy the link but itโ€™s not up yet. If youโ€™ll subscribe to the channel it will send you a notification before the stream starts. This will be our first attempt at live streaming Bob so who knows if it will even work. Get you a YouTube account and start joining us on our adventures buddy! Donโ€™t be intimidated if you donโ€™t have a YouTube account Bob. Itโ€™s super easy and takes about 30 seconds to sign up for one. Weโ€™re going live at 7am with Azul and Catfish Tim as well as the twin Texas Tornadoes Action Jaxon and Wyatt the Riot. We might not catch a single fish but itโ€™s gonna be fun trying!!
https://youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg

Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14134148 09/18/21 06:25 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
^ Thanks Tim, and will get myself connected.

We will have the TXFF cat fishing brain trust in that boat. If you two don't catch there is hope for me! Hah!!! (no pressure)

I will try to get on for sure.

Good luck and tight lines!

fish

Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14134310 09/18/21 09:47 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post and some solid fish. Yes judging by the fish it was well worth the problems. Glad you got all your rod/reel back. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14135808 09/20/21 03:41 PM
BriannShell Offline
Extremely Happy Angler
Extremely Happy Angler
thumb

Lions do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14136306 09/21/21 01:25 AM
J
Juggernaut30 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
That's the best fishing story I've heard in a long time smile Awesome job getting it done!

Poets talk about "spots of time," but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a ***** forever. - Norman Maclean
Re: Old School Toad [Re: Catfish Tim] #14138847 09/23/21 04:57 PM
P
Pot licker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Cool story and a nice reward! cheers

Also cool you got your rod back thumb

Texas Elite Angler ๐ŸŽฃ
https://www.jiglyf.com
Previous Thread
Index