The finance/closer at dealerships #14132420 09/17/21 03:14 AM
T
The Searchers Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Are these cats 100% commission based?

I’ve bought 3 cars at a dealership in the last 15 years. That’s with a wife and two daughters.
3 different places.
All 3 times I have made a final “all in” deal with sales rep only to get into some very confrontational situations during the next step with the finance guys.
“ hey bud, I want to start by saying I appreciate all you are offering but I am paying $ 23,000 tt&l as I worked out with John out there”
No more no less.
I don’t next nitrous oxide chit for the tires.
I don’t need scratch free paint.
I don’t need gap.
I don’t need special windshield washer fluid.

Why do dealerships allow these guys to be sooooo confrontational?

I can’t be the only one that dreads that part. They will not accept no for an answer until you get up and almost get in a fight with them.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132427 09/17/21 03:27 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Because they know you won't leave the deal even if they're confrontational, and sometimes people buy stuff.

My dad had 2 bad experiences with finance guy. First was at Toyota Richardson. Worked out a deal with the salesman and finance guy literally would not let us buy the truck without buying a warranty. I asked for the paperwork on the warranty. It said I could get a refund if I filed within 30 days. I got the paperwork a couple days later and drove over to the dealer and got the refund request form. They tried to give me a different form but I called them the asshats they were and told them to stop f-ing around or I'd go get the GM and we could sort out their incompetence step by step, and they finally got the right form.

That was the more tame story. Second time was at david stanley ram in OKC. We worked out a deal over the phone on a truck. $25k OTD. Mom and I took dad up there and they assured us it was all good but they were backed up and it would be a couple hours til he could get through finance. We left so my mom could see my daughter's soccer practice that night, and got a call from dad two hours later saying they'd tried to add $10k at finance and wouldn't sell him the truck. I called and talked to the salesman and he said he'd look into it. Never heard back. I left messages with him, his boss, the GM, and the finance manager explaining the situation and told them that if that $hit wasn't fixed by the time I got back to OKC, then the $hit was gonna get real. I got back to the dealership and I'll never forget the sight of my dad sitting out on the curb. Nobody cared at all about him or the voicemails I'd left or the deal we had worked out on the phone. First time my parents ever heard me cuss....I walked into that dealership and raised more he11 than I've ever raised in my life. I was screaming and hollering and customers finally started leaving and the GM came out and asked me to come to his office and I told him to go f himself and if he wanted me to be quiet, I needed papers in the lobby allowing us to buy the truck for the agreed price or I was going to stay til closing and I'd call my boss and take the day off tomorrow also and make sure that nobody bought a dam car from that place. They finally brought papers out and we got the truck and it turned out it was the last truck dad ever bought and he absolutely loved that thing. But it was a real mess getting it bought and home.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132432 09/17/21 03:40 AM
T
The Searchers Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
It’s terrible man. One round I was in the guy said “don’t worry sir there will be no pressure”. That same SOB later said after I declined all that BS “ so you are the type of dad that is going to put his daughter out on the road with no warranty”
I said mother $&@“ you telling me you are trying to sell me something so unreliable that I have to have a GD warranty to buy it???

It’s just the worst bunch of BS ever.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132443 09/17/21 03:52 AM
P
PaulGrapevine Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
I hate the finance guys. My dad sold cars after he retired from GM. He told me all the rackets they try to get you with. I’ll summarize my last 4 experiences.

Wanted to buy a car for the wife. They completely changed the terms in finance. We got up and walked out. That was Bankston Chevrolet.

A few months later we were trying to buy a car for the wife again. We wanted something specific and another dealership had it. They were trading for it. Turns out the other dealership added tint and a pin stripe for $1k. They tried to sell me a car off the lot without telling me they were not selling me the car we had agreed on. The car on the lot did not have the options we wanted. They then tried to raise the price on the car we wanted. I got up to walk out and they stuck to to original deal. That was classic Chevrolet.

When I bought my current truck the finance guy left us sitting waiting on him for 90 minutes. My wife was 38 weeks pregnant. It was dinner time and I told them we were going to grab dinner and be right back. They didn’t want us to leave. He calls us back and tries to sell me all the usual stuff. I should have been nicer to him but I was throughly annoyed. That was Moritz. Great overall deal just the usual finance BS.

When we bought the wife’s current ride she made me promise to be nice to the finance guy. I let him talk and talk and talk. The wife who is incredibly sweet told him we weren’t buying any of it and for him to be quiet. I let her know she was rude afterwards. Ended up being a smooth deal. That was Freeman.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132445 09/17/21 03:53 AM
Moto-Moto Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Just bought a Yukon XL at Classic in Arlington. Finance guy was pretty cool.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132446 09/17/21 03:55 AM
P
PowerLizard Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Yes, the Closers are commissioned. They get X% of whatever useless overpriced products they can upsell you. That is why they can drop half the cost of an extended warranty without even talking to a Manager. If the Closer is a pain and won’t listen to you, get up and walk into the General Manager’s office and ask for a different Closer. Don’t scream or yell. Just calmly tell the General Manager that it’s not working out.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: PowerLizard] #14132453 09/17/21 04:05 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by PowerLizard
Yes, the Closers are commissioned. They get X% of whatever useless overpriced products they can upsell you. That is why they can drop half the cost of an extended warranty without even talking to a Manager. If the Closer is a pain and won’t listen to you, get up and walk into the General Manager’s office and ask for a different Closer. Don’t scream or yell. Just calmly tell the General Manager that it’s not working out.

I tried that once. I ended up waiting 2 more hours. So once I get in the office, I just ask the guy to do his job and close the deal. I make sure when I arrange the deal that they know I'm not buying any of the over priced junk in finance. So when the finance guy asks, I tell him politely once and firmly/rudely after that.

We did have a good experience buying my wife's MDX from Autos of Dallas. No pressure in sales or finance and best price I could find.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132455 09/17/21 04:09 AM
1oldbassguy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
remember when they tried hard to sell the " undercoating " --LOL . My dad took me with him one time to buy a new Cutlass Cierra. He did all the usual upfront stuff , then we get to the finance guy . He starts trying to sell us the extra stuff , my dad keeps saying no , no ,no . Finally , the finance guy gets up and says he be back . I look at my dad and can tell his pissed , I say " whats going on " , he says " shush be quiet " , I say
why ? He says , they are listening to us on microphones !!! . I look around the office , and in a real loud voice say " what the fXck " !!! My dad looks at me in shock , then starts laughing . The finance guy comes in laughing , then the deal was done .

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132496 09/17/21 10:01 AM
T
Teeners boat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I walk out, no arguing, just walk away tell them I am taking my money to another dealership. Bye Felicia!

Reality. What a concept!
Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132500 09/17/21 10:15 AM
P
Patriot Guard Rider Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
P
When we moved back to Texas from Louisiana I could not find a job in my chosen fields of purchasing/marketing. This was in 1987. To support the family I took a job selling cars for a Ford dealer in DeSoto. Turns out I was pretty good at it and was salesman of the month for 7 of the first 9 months I worked there, so they made me the finance manager. I lasted a few months in that job because every bad thing you have ever heard about the car business is true X10!

Bottom line, I got so disgusted with the things I had to do to close the deals in the finance office that I walked in to a sales team Saturday morning meeting threw my keys at the owner and quit.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Family is everything!

Life is precious. We don’t have forever. We have now. This moment. We can choose to love our lives now.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132521 09/17/21 11:04 AM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L
Thankfully, I've never had that problem with the finance person...ever. Last one was not from the dealer's Hyundai lot, but their Mazda lot next door. He was surprised at the deal I got with 0% financing and no payments for 90 days and no down payment. He went and verified and I just smiled and said I have excellent credit.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132549 09/17/21 11:51 AM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by The Searchers
Are these cats 100% commission based?

I’ve bought 3 cars at a dealership in the last 15 years. That’s with a wife and two daughters.
3 different places.
All 3 times I have made a final “all in” deal with sales rep only to get into some very confrontational situations during the next step with the finance guys.
“ hey bud, I want to start by saying I appreciate all you are offering but I am paying $ 23,000 tt&l as I worked out with John out there”
No more no less.
I don’t next nitrous oxide chit for the tires.
I don’t need scratch free paint.
I don’t need gap.
I don’t need special windshield washer fluid.

Why do dealerships allow these guys to be sooooo confrontational?

I can’t be the only one that dreads that part. They will not accept no for an answer until you get up and almost get in a fight with them.

Nice to give you a choice. I usually see the add-ons listed on the side of the vehicle. How is having the VIN etched into your driver side window a theft deterrant? $150!!!

I hate the finance guys. Always trying to screw you over. They'll change the price, change the interest rate, make up dealer fees, do anything they can to make an extra buck. You better run the numbers yourself before you walk through the door.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132554 09/17/21 12:05 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I am thankful that Moritz is low pressure in the finance department. With the recent new truck I was in and out for entire purchase in just over an hour. No BS, no add ons in finance and no games.

Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132561 09/17/21 12:13 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Last time I bought a vehicle was 2015. As I recall, I walked into the F&I office asking for an extended warranty and it was just a matter of agreeing on a price.

Hopefully I won't be buying one again for at least that many more years, but when I do, that's still still the part that I don't look forward to.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: The finance/closer at dealerships [Re: The Searchers] #14132576 09/17/21 12:27 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Finance is the worst part of buying. I bought a Tacoma and the finance dude went down his list. I declined all until he got to extended warranty. Then the hard sell started. I turned around and faced the door and told him he had 5 minutes. He got done and I turned around and said NO. He said what if I can knock .5% off the interest rate. I said would you have offered that rate without the warranty and said yes. I said bull. Then he said OK $10/month. I thought ok $10 it might be worth it. He typed up the papers and I noticed the warranty was $1200. Definitely not $10/month. I called the sales director and told him to bring the keys to my trade. The deal was off. He was pissed. I walked out with lower rate and no warranty. Next truck I bought I told the finance guy upfront not to even try to sell me any extras. He said OK. He typed up the paperwork and it had some bogus dealer charge for $600. I asked what is this? He said oh we charge everybody that. I said not me. My deal was to include TTL and nothing else. A different finance gut had told me 2 days before it got me free oil changes for as long as I owned the truck. When the second finance guy said that was not true I said you guys need to get your stories straight.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide