texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,912
Posts13,955,226
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Daiwa tatula comparison #14119251 09/04/21 01:31 PM
T
TimFish4Life Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I’m curious if anyone has 1st hand experience with the previous Daiwa Tatula SV TWS (the 2017 version), vs the new 2021 upgrade. As far as I can tell, the 2021 has a little weaker drag and 0.5oz less weight.

Any other differences, particularly performance? I’m wanting to get one for dock skipping and the one available on some sites on sale, are the 2017 version. Thanks in advance!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14119546 09/04/21 07:39 PM
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I only have the 17 model but if I am not mistaken, the 21 model has the “zero adjuster” spool tension feature. If you’re unfamiliar with this, they preset the spool tension from the factory and all you have to adjust is the brake dial on the non-handle side, usually starting around #12 to avoid a backlash off the bat. To my knowledge, this feature and the drag like you said are the main differences

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14119688 09/04/21 10:32 PM
T
TimFish4Life Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Ok thank you, I sure wish LBF had the 2021 version in stock…but I may have to get the older model. 20% off $200 is a fairly good deal

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14119708 09/04/21 10:59 PM
M
Monty Wright Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I believe Mark Perry has a lot of experience with their Tatula lineup

[Linked Image]

Half Past First Cast
^^^Worth a look^^^
Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14120257 09/05/21 08:52 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
The 2021 version is smaller in profile than the previous model. Both work well. The spool tension knob on the 2021 is smaller and slightly harder to adjust, but it is adjustable. Why would it be be pre-set at the factory since they have no idea what weight bait you are going to throw with it and if you do not need to adjust it because it is "preset" why then would they make it adjustable?

I have several of both models and they all work very well. The Sv is great for skipping docks or teaching someone how to throw a bait caster that never has.

Fun N Sun in Hurst has the new models in stock.

If you are out at Fork on a weekend I will let you try out both models. I have the SV in both year models and the Elite in the 2021 model.....and zillions in three different models.

Last edited by ezbassin; 09/05/21 09:28 PM.
Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: ezbassin] #14120336 09/05/21 10:34 PM
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by ezbassin
The 2021 version is smaller in profile than the previous model. Both work well. The spool tension knob on the 2021 is smaller and slightly harder to adjust, but it is adjustable. Why would it be be pre-set at the factory since they have no idea what weight bait you are going to throw with it and if you do not need to adjust it because it is "preset" why then would they make it adjustable?

I have several of both models and they all work very well. The Sv is great for skipping docks or teaching someone how to throw a bait caster that never has.

Fun N Sun in Hurst has the new models in stock.

If you are out at Fork on a weekend I will let you try out both models. I have the SV in both year models and the Elite in the 2021 model.....and zillions in three different models.

Spool tension has nothing to do with lure weight. It’s elimination of side to side play in the spool. When I was a tadpole learning how to use a bait caster this worked but now that I am seasoned I cast 2x as far. I didn’t pull this info out of my [censored], it came from a Tatula product video just FYI

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14120355 09/05/21 10:56 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14120540 09/06/21 02:43 AM
S
SAdoc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I don’t buy the whole preset from the factory thing. I’ve got a couple of 2021 models ( and another on the way) . On the 1st one I would get major overrun if I let a bait fall to the floor, even with the mag dial turned all the way up. I had to turn the spool tension up or really keep my thumb on the spool.

The 2nd one wasn’t as bad, but still took a little tweaking. Once I got them dialed in both cast great. You can cast light lures into the wind with no backlash and a rarely have to adjust anything when changing lures.

The spool tension knobs on both mine were both pretty hard to turn.

For the price I haven’t found a better reel.. I picked up another from LBF for 20% off a couple of days ago ( before they ran out of the new model)

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: SwimbaitRanger] #14121136 09/06/21 11:27 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by SwimbaitRanger
[quote=ezbassin

Spool tension has nothing to do with lure weight. It’s elimination of side to side play in the spool. When I was a tadpole learning how to use a bait caster this worked but now that I am seasoned I cast 2x as far. I didn’t pull this info out of my [censored], it came from a Tatula product video just FYI

Ok then, tighten the spool tension knob as tight as it will go to eliminate all side to side play and see how far you can cast.

Make sure you actually do that test before you make another silly comment on here about the tension knob having nothing to do with the weight of the bait you are throwing.

Do you not realize that the more tension you have on the spool, the slower and harder it rotates?? That has everything to do with the weight of the bait you are throwing and the distance you get out of it. The dial on the other side either magnets or brakes just fine tunes the revolution of the spool. You have to adjust both correctly for the bait you are throwing and your experience level throwing a bait caster.

FYI my experience comes from adjusting reels for over 50 years, not some video. I started with a Garcia 5000 and a Lews BB1, gold.

Last edited by ezbassin; 09/07/21 01:30 AM.
Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: SAdoc] #14121183 09/07/21 12:06 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by SAdoc
I don’t buy the whole preset from the factory thing. I’ve got a couple of 2021 models ( and another on the way) . On the 1st one I would get major overrun if I let a bait fall to the floor, even with the mag dial turned all the way up. I had to turn the spool tension up or really keep my thumb on the spool.

The 2nd one wasn’t as bad, but still took a little tweaking. Once I got them dialed in both cast great. You can cast light lures into the wind with no backlash and a rarely have to adjust anything when changing lures.

The spool tension knobs on both mine were both pretty hard to turn.

For the price I haven’t found a better reel.. I picked up another from LBF for 20% off a couple of days ago ( before they ran out of the new model)

I have a bunch of the 2021 models and the tension knob is very small compared to the earlier version. Some are very tight and hard to adjust, and some of mine aren't that hard to adjust, just depends on the one you get I guess. Great reel. If you are good at throwing a bait caster, try the Elite mode. I have several of those and love them.

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: ezbassin] #14121307 09/07/21 02:45 AM
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
[quote=SwimbaitRanger][quote=ezbassin

Ok then, tighten the spool tension knob as tight as it will go to eliminate all side to side play and see how far you can cast.

Make sure you actually do that test before you make another silly comment on here about the tension knob having nothing to do with the weight of the bait you are throwing.

Do you not realize that the more tension you have on the spool, the slower and harder it rotates?? That has everything to do with the weight of the bait you are throwing and the distance you get out of it. The dial on the other side either magnets or brakes just fine tunes the revolution of the spool. You have to adjust both correctly for the bait you are throwing and your experience level throwing a bait caster.

FYI my experience comes from adjusting reels for over 50 years, not some video. I started with a Garcia 5000 and a Lews BB1, gold.[

I tighten it to where it JUST eliminates side to side play. Yes if you let the bait fall, no matter what weight you use, it will cause some overrun but if you train your thumb, having the reel set this loose will increase casting distance. I’m sure with your experience you know how important it is to thumb the reel and not have it set so tight where you don’t need to thumb it. That’s the problem with these DC reels they have now. You don’t learn the fundamental basics of thumbing the spool on a bait caster. Look man I meant no harm. Just wanted to help the OP but I’m sorry if my opinion on baitcaster functionality offended you. And I’m being sincere not smart

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14121378 09/07/21 05:29 AM
D
Darin S. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Just turn everything down and and let’er rip! Either you can cast or you can’t.

Originally Posted by Westside.
I hate everything
Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: SwimbaitRanger] #14122228 09/07/21 10:23 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by SwimbaitRanger
[quote=SwimbaitRanger][quote=ezbassin

FYI my experience comes from adjusting reels for over 50 years, not some video. I started with a Garcia 5000 and a Lews BB1, gold.[

I tighten it to where it JUST eliminates side to side play. Yes if you let the bait fall, no matter what weight you use, it will cause some overrun but if you train your thumb, having the reel set this loose will increase casting distance. I’m sure with your experience you know how important it is to thumb the reel and not have it set so tight where you don’t need to thumb it. That’s the problem with these DC reels they have now. You don’t learn the fundamental basics of thumbing the spool on a bait caster. Look man I meant no harm. Just wanted to help the OP but I’m sorry if my opinion on baitcaster functionality offended you. And I’m being sincere not smart

OK, we are good then. I agree that it is very important to learn how to thumb the spool. I keep my reels pretty loose but I have been using bait casters for over 50 years now. When I teach someone how to use a bait caster I will get a Daiwa Tatula SV reel and tie on the bait they are going to throw. Usually nothing less than 3/8 oz to start with. When I release the spool I let it drop to the ground with a very slight over run. Then I set the magnets to full on. In the beginning they don't even have to thumb the spool but as they learn I back off on the magnets so they can get more distance.

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14122252 09/07/21 10:52 PM
S
SwimbaitRanger Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
So we’re probably not that far from setting them up the same way. I learned the sweet spot on Tatulas is around 12-10 on the mag brakes. I learned on an older Daiwa magforce my dad gave me. Didn’t even have a thumb bar. Just a metal button over near the drag star. Probably a 5 speed reel.

Re: Daiwa tatula comparison [Re: TimFish4Life] #14122343 09/08/21 12:10 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I have all of my Tatulas on 10 on the mag. side and have the tension knob fairly loose but I learned how to thumb a spool many many years ago.

BTW the Tatula CT is an awesome reel for medium to shallow crank baits. You can cast them a mile with the CT.

Last edited by ezbassin; 09/08/21 12:12 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide