Print Thread
how Labor Day got started #14120627 09/06/21 12:20 PM
C
crapyetr Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Like Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, Labor Day is a summer holiday associated with backyard BBQs, pool parties, parades, and other warm weather fun. Of course, it also signals the end of the season and the beginning of awesome autumnal activities like tailgating, visiting pumpkin patches and planting a fall garden.

Labor Day is important for more than ushering summer out, even if—let's be honest, now—most of us can't recall how or when the holiday got started, or even what it's about, exactly. Chances are you know it has something to do with working, if just because of the name.

First, Labor Day, which celebrates American employees and their achievements, was born out of the struggle to rectify poor working conditions. The Industrial Revolution, which ushered in the age of manufacturing, had brought with it 12- to 16-hour workdays, seven days a week, in often unsafe and unsanitary circumstances. Soon, protests against these conditions were popping up all over the country.

Then, by the late 1800s, laborers had founded unions from coast to coast to help in the fight for better working conditions. On September 5, 1882, some 10,000 New York union members gave up a day's pay (no small sacrifice) to march together from City Hall to Union Square. It was the first parade supporting workers in American history.

After that, Oregon was the first state which created a holiday around it on February 21, 1887. Come the end of the year, New York had followed suit, along with Colorado, Massachusetts and New Jersey. By 1894, 23 more states had established a Labor Day holiday.

Still, it wasn't until the May 1894 strike by employees of the Pullman Palace Car Company and the subsequent deadly violence related to it that President Grover Cleveland (Now, who knew Grover Cleveland was President in 1894?) suggested making Labor Day a national holiday. On June 28, 1894, as a way of mending fences with workers, he signed an act marking the first Monday in September as Labor Day.

On the lighter side of Labor Day facts, the rule about never wearing white after Labor Day might have gotten its start in the late 1800s, when wealthy Americans would vacation outside the city during the summer months. Upon their return in the fall, cooler temperatures meant donning heavier fabrics in darker colors. Hence, no white after Labor Day. Whatever the reason for this old-fashioned fashion edict, the good news is that nowadays no one should feel need to follow it.

Although Labor Day is always the first Monday in September in the United States and Canada, it's celebrated in more than 90 other countries on May 1. Known as International Workers' Day and Labour Day, this May 1 holiday coincides with May Day, an ancient European folk festival. It marks the midpoint between spring and summer with Maypole dances, flowers, singing and sweet treats.

Another benefit to Labor Day … starting about two weeks out from the holiday and sometimes continuing for a week after, Labor Day sales offer discounts on summer goods like grills, patio furniture and clothing, as well as back-to-school items. Thanks to the amount of consumers with time on their hands due to the three-day weekend, some retailers call it the year's second biggest shopping day, behind only Black Friday.

We all know summer means grilling out, so after Labor Day (summer's unofficial end), means...not. In fact, the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council calls the time from Memorial Day to Labor Day "peak hot dog season". Between the two holidays Americans usually eat around seven billion hot dogs, or 818 wieners every second. Now who can argue that hot dogs don't improve working conditions. ~ Story by Jill Gleeson

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: how Labor Day got started [Re: crapyetr] #14120640 09/06/21 12:49 PM
P
Patriot Guard Rider Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Back in the "dark ages" when I was a school kid, Labor Day meant the start of the school year. In Dallas, the first day of school every year was the day after Labor Day.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Family is everything!

Life is precious. We don’t have forever. We have now. This moment. We can choose to love our lives now.

Re: how Labor Day got started [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14120671 09/06/21 01:27 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Patriot Guard Rider
Back in the "dark ages" when I was a school kid, Labor Day meant the start of the school year. In Dallas, the first day of school every year was the day after Labor Day.

Plus #1. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: how Labor Day got started [Re: Patriot Guard Rider] #14120681 09/06/21 01:37 PM
donothin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

Back in my day, it meant it was time to start picking cotton.

Re: how Labor Day got started [Re: banker-always fishing] #14120706 09/06/21 02:05 PM
O
Oldrabbit Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing

Plus #1. thumb

Plus #2

Re: how Labor Day got started [Re: crapyetr] #14121063 09/06/21 10:04 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
thumb

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread