When I started making my own plastics I ordered molds that would pour the easiest. It seems straight tail designs are it except for the few curl tails I pour that are duplicates of certain tail designs. Even when I post photos of modified soft plastics, straight tails rule the roost. I guess there's something about straight tails when it comes to lure action at the slowest retrieve speed possible when conditions warrant it.

Sure, I like covering a lot of water to find fish, but on a bright sunny day mid-afternoon, casting in different directions, letting the lure drop and then working it with rod tip twitches usually get inactive fish to bite. What might have been a 12 fish day turns into a 48 fish day.
examples:
You can imagine the flutter of these tails when rigged on light 1/16 oz jigs (note:all are injection mold pours) :
[Linked Image]
fish caught:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Straight pointed tails show a nice side-to-side wobble that has caught different fish species:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Double-pointed tails wacky-rigged have done really well! :
[Linked Image]

Gary Y's Kut tail is one of my favorite worm designs:

Flat claw tails are straight and quiver with the least lure motion:

Larger lures for bass do include swimbaits, spinnerbaits and many soft plastic designs, but for catching all species - even catfish, straight tails do it for me.