texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 120,999
TexDawg 119,782
Bigbob_FTW 95,320
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,322
Mark Perry 72,484
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,874
Posts13,954,558
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method #14093854 08/13/21 03:30 PM
Dennis Christian Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Since I went public with the Mepps method for catching white bass on lake structures in 2009, many of you have started using the technique. There are a couple of noteworthy items regarding the technique I wanted to call to your attention. First, after I made the method public on Mepps website and in a Dallas Morning News article by the late Ray Sasser, I felt I needed to prove the method’s voracity by entering and winning a white bass tournament. I finally did that in 2013 winning the Lake Ray Hubbard tournament. In 2016 I came in 2nd in the Tawakoni tournament and won it the last two times – 2018 and 2019. I entered the July 10 Lake Livingston tournament this year and came in second – to the Bookout family, who used the Mepps technique.

They picked up the Mepps method a couple of years or so ago and have been placing and winning white bass tournaments since then. Besides winning the Livingston tournament, the dad got 3rd place in the 1st Cedar Creek Veterans White Bass tournament two years ago, one son won the 12 and under division, and another son won big fish. First and second place winners said they also used Mepps. The Bookouts also won the 2020 Cedar Creek White Bass and tied for first place in the most recent tournament – the New Caney Ag Booster white bass tournament at Lake Livingston on July 31.

My whole purpose in pointing this out is to make more people aware of just how good this method is in catching white bass on structure. The Mepps method recently caught the attention of another outdoor sports writer, Luke Clayton. He contacted me for a telephone interview, and he has posted it on the website www.catfishradio.org. The interview will air on several radio stations tomorrow. I describe the method and how I discovered it back in 1976.

Why did I go public with this technique after keeping it a family and friends secret for 33 years? I finally realized it was a wonderful blessing from God that I didn’t want to go to the grave with me now that I am old. I felt compelled to share it – it is too good to be forgotten when I die.

If you would like to check out the Mepps method, I suggest you read the article at Mepps website under bass articles, read the Ray Sasser article - which has a link to it in my signature block and view the two YouTube videos. There is a link to the Mepps #2 demo in my signature block, and you can find the Mepps #4 demo there also. Give it a try, and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Christian; 08/13/21 03:34 PM.
Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14094081 08/13/21 05:51 PM
R
RoadRunnerTR21 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
R
Thank you Dennis for sharing your knowledge. All my life I have used either a slab for sand bass on the bottom or a roadrunner for schooling fish. The Mepps is useful for both bottom and top water fishing. After seeing your video last year on using the #4 and #2, I have had great success catching sand bass, hybrids and the occasional "other species". Besides teaching the Mepps method, I want to say thank you for sharing the various locations where you have found fish. That helps reduce the search time. If someone has decent electronics with mapping and knows how to read it, locating the fish is much easier.

The world needs more people like you. Especially these days. While I will always be a student because we can always learn something new, sharing knowledge is something that many people do not do publicly. I've been in IT for 45 years. For many years I have been training technical staffs around the world in my area of expertise. I also share professional experiences that I have had along the way. I also have done this with many young people when it comes to fishing, shooting or just being outdoors. The more we can share, the better off this world can be. Like you said, I would feel bad taking anything I know to the grave. Now if you could just do a video that will help my golf game, I'd be a happy guy! grin

[Linked Image] Light Blue 19 CPX
Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14094299 08/13/21 09:00 PM
J
justchillin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Thank you Dennis for all the information you give us in your reports. Thank you for your service as well. I started using the Mepps technique a couple of years ago and never looked back. I have seen first hand that sometimes it out fishes the slab by a lot. Have had people around me using slabs and not doing well, while I was catching fish on every cast. Have also had several times, like everyone else, to where the fish just would not bite no matter what you tried, but for the most part, I have caught fish just about every time out using the Mepps method. Thanks again for all your information. It has helped me a thousand times over to put fish in the boat.

Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14094335 08/13/21 09:43 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Great post! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14095370 08/14/21 10:27 PM
R
Retired Farmun Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Dennis
Thank you for sharing. I came to Cedar Creek with a borrowed boat in June and contacted you through the forum. I was able to find and catch some fish through your assistance. I have since bought my own boat as of this week and hope to be out on the lake learning and catching more. What color or two, etc do you find works the best and always have at the ready. Where are you picking up the mal lure?

Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14095452 08/15/21 12:01 AM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Silver. I still prefer regular Mepps Aglia spinners. But others like the MAL because it is heavier, making it easier to cast and faster to sink. You get those directly from Bob Maindelle of Holding the Line guide service.

Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14095510 08/15/21 01:04 AM
R
Retired Farmun Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Do you have any close up pics of the ones you use? Do you use a Swivel....yes/no? Additional weights.etc?

Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14095948 08/15/21 03:16 PM
W
Windbreaker Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Thank you Dennis for sharing your knowledge. I started using the Mepps method on Richland Chambers in 2013. It proves itself every time I go out and fish. I love using the method when I take friends who don’t fish a lot. It’s so much more fun then just slabbing straight up and down off the bottom. I also started making my own spinners to add another element to the sport and to make it more fun. Thanks again!

Last edited by Windbreaker; 08/15/21 03:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Retired Farmun] #14095977 08/15/21 03:59 PM
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/mepps-aglia-original-plain-spinner?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop%7CCAB%7CTopPerformers%7CFishing&gclid=CjwKCAjw9uKIBhA8EiwAYPUS3GM3T-r7mWPb9C0c5UHkFhr8kV2wTDFKFz5Q7LKxAtZzAOpbb28nCRoClxIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is link to the Mepps I use.

Add 3/16 oz weight to #2 and#3.

I don't use a swivel.

Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14097343 08/16/21 08:40 PM
B
Book Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
B
I couldn’t agree more with what everyone has said about the Mepps method and about Dennis for sharing it with us … truly a blessing. In the past I was a slab fisherman 100% of the time, and had some good days and some bad days. Once I learned the Mepps method a few years ago, I would start with slabs and if I couldn’t catch them I would switch to the Mepps. The Mepps method was so reliable that I switched it around and started going with Mepps first and then switch to slabs if I wasn’t catching anything. I can’t remember the last time I had to switch to slabs! I have been able to share the Mepps method with dozens of other anglers including a lot of kids. It is easy to teach with any type of fishing gear and it gets them “hooked”! I look forward to teaching it to my grandkids someday so they can carry on the tradition.

Re: Mepps method winning white bass tournaments and Luke Clayton radio interview on Mepps method [Re: Dennis Christian] #14098090 08/17/21 01:58 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Love ya, DC! Thanks for all you do, even talking on a catfish station.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide