texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,888
Posts13,954,874
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: Clark Reehm] #14087256 08/07/21 07:17 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Sounds like something has been invented that didn’t need to be invented.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: bockscar] #14087263 08/07/21 07:24 PM
G
Greg Z Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted by bockscar
I seen another japanese angler mention this on a BASS U podcast iirc. Love me some flat bottom worms on a jika rig....but im not sure I like that thin wire from the drop shot weight running up and down my line....im sure can be no issue, but I see potential for micronicks and breaking off in a situation that you dont wanna be broken off at (on a biggen).

Get to C-Rigging the good ol' american way!!! flag
roflmao

They make some pencil weights with a normal loop on to that won't pinch the line.

Greg Ziemer
214-597-6006
Sewell Lexus
Life's short... Enjoy the ride!
Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: Clark Reehm] #14087645 08/08/21 10:24 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: Greg Z] #14088005 08/08/21 07:22 PM
B
bockscar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Greg Z
Originally Posted by bockscar
I seen another japanese angler mention this on a BASS U podcast iirc. Love me some flat bottom worms on a jika rig....but im not sure I like that thin wire from the drop shot weight running up and down my line....im sure can be no issue, but I see potential for micronicks and breaking off in a situation that you dont wanna be broken off at (on a biggen).

Get to C-Rigging the good ol' american way!!! flag
roflmao

They make some pencil weights with a normal loop on to that won't pinch the line.

I know. my worry is still there even with those. Im not talking about it pinching.....im just saying in general I dont like a wire going up and down a line. If a carolina or T-Rig weight gets snagged the pressure on the line is spread out through that whole weight......where if you snag a pencil weight (yes they snag, and im good at getting them snagged) and tug or rip on the line to get it free....all that pressure comes down to one fine point, where the weight is attaced to the line via the wire. Real fine point that I can see getting burnt/beat up if you tug on it too hard.

Just my opinion and why Id never throw it. I think you can get a similar presentation with a c-rig....or even with a regular t-rig depending on bobber stop placement. Im a terrible fisherman and couldnt catch with a senko even if I was fishing a farm pond as a disclaimer tho. But what i am good at is having bad luck type of stuff happen to me like breaking your line or snapping off at the worst possible time. So i just try and minimize the potential for error....this rig seems risky to me

Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: Clark Reehm] #14088048 08/08/21 08:25 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I have heard that Mike Ike is promoting this technique also.

Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: grout-scout] #14088478 08/09/21 11:48 AM
Clark Reehm Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by grout-scout
Originally Posted by Joel McBride
I think he said no brush pile. You might wanna watch it again. It's nothing more than a light weight texas rig with a knot protector. The weight on a texas rig moves up and down the line just like that drop shot sinker and I would use a bobber stop at the knot and not that piece of rubber which moves up and down the line which creates more resistance.

Maybe the drop shot weight moves easier than the light bullet weight is all I can guess why it would work better.

Dang it, watched it twice again and it is a bit confusing. Says use “20lb line for brush pile & big fish“, then says “no good in brush pile”; but then says “sinker goes into brush pile and bait stays above”. Maybe Mr. Rheem can clarify.

Edit: watched it again. I think he said if the fish are inside the pile, it’s no good, because only the sinker is inside the pile.

I speak fluent English, redneck, and a bit of ebonics... I translated to the best of my ability as I was making the video. I'm sure if we could understand Japanese he would have explained it a whole lot better to us but you have to keep in mind, he is not only collecting his thoughts on the topic/questions I asked (some people struggle with this to begin with) but sorting out how to translate those thoughts into English. A lot of times other cultures have a simple word that does not have a short and easy translation in English.

Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: Clark Reehm] #14088487 08/09/21 12:04 PM
Clark Reehm Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
To be honest, I heard about this rig about a year ago. Congrats to those of you that say you have been doing this for a long time. You are ahead of the game. As more and more anglers start learning about and adopting more new techniques, even better specialty tackle and information starts to be developed to optimize it all. I have never used this rig and will probably not do it exactly how he says, however, the wheels in my brain started churning as I was filming it on how I can utilize the principles in my own fishing. I can't wait to get down to Sam Rayburn to try some of these ideas out. Just like so many other things in fishing, there is a time and a place. If you have ever spent time in a boat with anglers that are better than you, you start to pick up those little nuances. I take the approach that there is always a better mousetrap until you can't refute the numbers.

Now that the Tour season is over, I am starting to book catching trips and Elite Angler Academy classes again. If this is something you want to try, I am about to master and optimiaze this with quality time on the water, not just time on the water. Give me a call if you would like to inquire about a trip (479)970-3388.

Sidebar: It is amazing how many people adopted the name "NEKO RIG" once someone from the West Coast started calling it that on a National Stage. If you ever spent time around the Toledo bend area in the 90's, we called that a wacky worm. I remember in high school using gold aberdeen crappie hooks, purple creme worms(Sometimes with a firetail) and a roofing nail. I couldn't cast that light weight set up with a baitcaster when I started fishing tournaments so I had one rod that I would carry that had a zebco on it to be able to cast into the wind..... Specialty hooks have replaced the minnow hook, specialty lead or tungsten nails have replaced the roofing nails and there are an infinite amount of soft plastics and colors to choose from. Could I catch them still with the original set up, absolutely! Can I catch them better with the optimized gear....without a doubt!

Last edited by Clark Reehm; 08/09/21 12:07 PM.
Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: Clark Reehm] #14088612 08/09/21 01:56 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I was wondering where the term NEKO came from because when I first heard about it I asked what exactly is that. After describing it, I said I have been calling that a wacky rig for many years. How did it change from wacky to neko? A color now that is called Redbug used to be called cranapple. Who knows where these changes come from...LOL

Re: Will this new technique be the next big thing? [Re: ezbassin] #14088615 08/09/21 02:01 PM
Clark Reehm Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Cranapple has blue flakes in it. Redbug only has green flakes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide