Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14032489 06/15/21 11:50 AM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Palirwin
Fished out of Gloster Bend yesterday from about noon-3. Man, it seemed hot! Water temp was just over 80* but the fish were bighting well in 15-20' of water. Caught them slow rolling a spinner bait and fishing a small worm, Texas rigged of course. :-) I really thought I could get away from the skiers on a Thursday up the lake, which I guess I did, but the jet skiers were very interested in riding around wherever I fished! I don't know why it is they seem to like to buzz my boat. Are they trying to run off the fisherman? I am sure it is just them being oblivious to how annoying it is, but sometimes it feels intentional. Anyway, caught quite a few, biggest was only about 1 1/2 lbs so nothing big. I will say that the number of minnows/shad swimming around the lake is incredible. Many years of fishing Travis and I have never seen them so thick everywhere I go. I know finding the bait helps you find the fish, but when the bait seems to be everywhere it is a chore to get them to bite what I am offering. Still, all the fish I caught yesterday were very skinny little Travis bullets. I really need to work on skipping lures under the docks. My accuracy in that technique is severely lacking!

Is the Gloster ramp open? I thought it had to be at 668 for that ramp?

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14038952 06/21/21 04:19 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Sorry guys - been pre-occupied. So, I went out Friday (18th), got out there at sunrise, and it was very slow. Was not seeing the Shad, but plenty of sunfish/perch in the shallows. My buddy running the trolling motor was insistent on fishing super shallow and I think it ruined my confidence level. That said, I have other stuff on my mind right now too, and it was probably all just me. At any rate, I can't tell you what we should have fished, but we tried worms, brush hogs, grubs, jigs, crankbaits, spinners, topwater, any color we had, and it just wasn't working around Jonestown and Big Sandy.

In response to fivebites question, yes, Gloster is open. I am ready when you are!

In response to Average Joe - Tyler Torwick is a class act, and a fantastic guide, who does very well on Travis with his electronics and his knowledge of the lake. My buddy went with him a couple of times and his accounts of the trips were very positive and impressive, and we see Tyler on the lake often when we are out there fishing. I certainly give my thumbs up to anyone thinking about hiring him.

My buddy's boat is in the shop for annual maintenance, so I am likely off the water for a few weeks unless someone here has an empty chair on the boat. I will update you all when I get back on the lake!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14050147 07/02/21 03:33 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Moving into the summer time patterns. Handful early shallow on cranks, 1 blow up on a top water. After the sun did its thing, moved out to deeper water on drop shot. Fished 6-9am, 20 fish, all dinks with a few 1-2 ish, and lost 1 fish probably pushing 3. Time to mow the yard and get ready for the crazys this weekend.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14051019 07/03/21 12:59 PM
B
Brooke Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
We have been doing well on the larger fish on the old drought brush line over the last 4 weeks. The brush line is in about 28-32 ft depending on lake fluctuations. 3/4 ounce Football jigs and c rig.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Chis D] #14060738 07/13/21 08:23 PM
S
Skeeter John Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted by Chis D
Moving into the summer time patterns. Handful early shallow on cranks, 1 blow up on a top water. After the sun did its thing, moved out to deeper water on drop shot. Fished 6-9am, 20 fish, all dinks with a few 1-2 ish, and lost 1 fish probably pushing 3. Time to mow the yard and get ready for the crazys this weekend.

Chris D is full of IT. The "pushing 3" he lost was probably no bigger than 2.9#s, but he always likes to exaggerate!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Skeeter John] #14062600 07/15/21 02:12 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by Skeeter John
Originally Posted by Chis D

Chris D is full of IT. The "pushing 3" he lost was probably no bigger than 2.9#s, but he always likes to exaggerate!

Skeeter John is why I make sure to have a scale and offer to weigh every fish...he estimates his 1# over and mine 1# under 60% of the time every time. That said, he is still trying to find a way to estimate numbers caught, but he is so insistent on a fish counter he has a hard time running from the truth. See you tomorrow SJ smile

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14069167 07/21/21 07:13 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Got out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. I do not know how to catch suspended summer bass, but I tried! The lake was busy with skiers and the lake was rough, but I tried and tried, with no success. Then my buddy drug in a 21-22" beast off a ledge with a drop shot creature bait, motor oil color, in 14' of water. I couldn't believe it, because it was a relatively featureless bank, but deep water was near by and I guess he just got lucky. We beat that ledge for all it is worth after that, without a bite. Moved to a main lake cove and found a rocky outcropping and ledge, saw LOTS of fish on that area, but could not get them to bite. Moved in and out of the cove, fished worms, wacky rigs, spinners, swimmers, jigs, old favorites and tried new things. All in all, I got two fish, 1 with a shad colored fluke and one with a 5" Kalin Grub in smoke hologram color. Needless to say, it was tough fishing with very little success. I did see a lot of fish come inspect my lures, but they just wouldn't bite. Had a purple craw on for a bit and the fish would come up to it and hit it with their nose then turn around and bolt away, but they would never open their mouth. I watched this happen 3 times. (In the cove, protected from skiers and North wind) Not sure what it means, but it was frustrating, funny, and interesting. Water temp was 86-87 degrees where we were. Lots of fisherman out there yesterday!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14069998 07/22/21 03:37 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Lots of fisherman out there yesterday!

Thanks for the update. I have not been out since the 2nd, but hoping to get out this weekend. I pulled the boat off the lift, so between the heat, traffic and generally slower bite, the motivation has been minimal to launch. I am juggling a 1000 projects, so it is nice to catch up on those too.

Re the number of fishermen, it has definitely changed with COVID and I don't see it going backwards. I felt like I didn't see too many bass boats out there in the past. Now they seem to be everywhere.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14070216 07/22/21 06:57 PM
C
CarlB Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I did see a lot of fish come inspect my lures, but they just wouldn't bite

I think the fish are pickier in the summer as there's more live bait to chose from. Once winter comes they'll be eager to eat anything probably.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: CarlB] #14072120 07/24/21 03:16 PM
J
JAlfred Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I went out Thursday morning 23rd July with zero expectations. I mainly fish in the area a few miles either side of the mouth of Cow Creek. The wind was pretty strong and controlling my jon boat was a challenge. After doing some work on my boat and tackle, I was on the water about 9:30 am. I fished two new patterns for me this year: transition zones around bluffs and newly created shelfs near deep water. I used Keitech Easy Minnow as a swim bait. I got three bites and only got one in the boat. The first jumped and spit out the bait; the 3rd got tangled up in some dead bushes and broke the line. The one I got in the boat was a nice bass. Unfortunately I found out my scale battery was dead, so don't have an actual weight. My estimate is a high 2 pounder or low 3 pounder. The combination of strong wind and increasing recreational traffic drove me off the lake, and I was back on the lift by 11:30 am.

I hope this thread stays alive. It's the nearest source of Lake Travis information to the old Austin Bass Fishing that I can find.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14077218 07/29/21 05:02 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
I love fishing up around Cow Creek! I just don't usually make the drive. Went out Sunday, early, around Sandy Creek, and caught a dozen dinks. Finally was able to hook some fish that I saw on sonar out in the middle of the lake. That was exciting! I screwed it up though, on both of them, before realizing what I was doing wrong. Line was 40 feet deep, and the action on my spinning rod was too light, and I didn't accommodate for all that with the hookset. I got to see one of them when he launched through the surface! Anyway, that was exciting, but I couldn't seem to get my graph to show me my lure anymore after that, and did not have any further luck. Other than that, I caught a few off ledges, two off boat docks in 30 feet of water. Nothing big. Before the sun came up there was large schools busting the surface all around me, but I was never in the right spot to get a lure to them. Lots of off shore, deep water stuff, so that seems to be where they are at. Someday I will go out with someone who can show me how to do that type of fishing properly. Went back out that night and had no luck, but the schools were crashing the surface everywhere then. Full moon so I am sure they were very spread out. Had a snake try to climb in the boat with me, and that caused some funny stories, but they are too long for this forum. Hoping to try again tomorrow morning. I got a new job that starts Monday, which is good for the income, but not good for fishing, so you guys keep posting and help me keep this thread going! I agree with JAlfred, it is fun to have a Lake Travis thread staying alive!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14078502 07/30/21 07:16 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Got out there about 6 this morning, fished for 4 hours, caught a few small ones, but it was just one of those days. Transducer fell off, line kept breaking, and had to tension my trolling motor, so took it back to the garage and did some work on the boat. It is ready to go again, but I think I will just go to the pool instead. :-) Couldn't locate the fish offshore even before the transducer fell off, and only caught them on drop shots in 25 feet of water on ledges. Pumpkin seed color. Nothing on shad colored swim baits, no topwater, although saw some small ones busting the minnows on the surface, nothing on the spinner bait, nothing on spoons, and had one chase the fluke but it didn't swallow. I am looking forward to 6-8 weeks from now when it picks back up!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14080987 08/02/21 01:56 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
... I am looking forward to 6-8 weeks from now when it picks back up!

Me too! Thanks for keeping this going. I did not get the boat out this weekend, again. With the heat and short fishing windows I have opted for summer projects to clear up the fall calendar. Hopefully I can make a morning trip one day this week, and report back.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14086142 08/06/21 04:24 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Got out for a couple of hours this morning. Now, this report won't necessarily help you catch fish, but I will at least tell you about it. Started right before sunrise, fishing a secondary bluff in a creek arm. I was using a 4" Megabass Shad colored Swim bait on a 5/8 oz megabass head. Never used this lure before, but was in Central Texas Outdoors the other day and had to give it a try. 3rd cast up towards the bank, and in about 8 feet was the first ledge. Got bit, nothing to brag about, but the bite was very soft. It just got a little heavy and I set the hook just in case. Didn't measure it, probably 12" LMB.

Right behind me, in about 60 feet of water, there was a specific spot that something kept hitting the surface. It seemed to be one fish, but it hit the same spot about every 5 minutes. After about 5 times of seeing this, I finally cast over there. Reeling my bait through, thinking, this is stupid, then all of a sudden it got a little heavy. No pop, no shake, nothing, but I set the hook and BAM! Brought in a 14" LMB. Cast to that spot for another 5 minutes and nothing so moved on down the bank.

Nothing happening for a little bit, and I decided I wanted to throw a Texas Rig. Looked in my box, figuring I would go with something beside my usual color today. Saw some greenish brown lizards that I don't know where they came from and figured what the heck. But as I reached in to grab on, I noticed under those lizards were some Baby Brush Hawgs. Now, these Hawgs were a sort of motor oil color, but they were discolored a bit by the lizards they were in the same compartment with. I thought they looked pretty cool, but decided I would dip only the arms of the brush hawg in chartreuse die. I ended up with a cool looking, kind of camoflauge with safety arms type of creature bait.

First cast, threw it up to a ledge in about 10 feet of water and let it fall. As I went to hop it the first time it felt a little heavy. I kind of waited for a second to see if it shook or if I just found a little grass. Then I noticed my line was swimming towards the deeper water! I reeled up the slack and set the hook! Brought in a nice 3+ lbs LMB! I was feeling pretty good, because that is a good fish on Lake Travis. Continued down the bank for a few more minutes and no new action. My fishing buddy had not caught anything, and he was ready to move, so we headed to the main lake.

There is a little cove that I like to fish, it isn't much, and I don't know if it even has a name, but we pulled up to the bluff just off the point going into the cove. I cast my camoflauge, custom Zoom Baby Brush Hawg up towards the bank on a 60 deep foot bluff. While casting, as the lure flew threw the air, I said out loud "Come on fish, they don't all have to be 3 lbers." I was a little short of the bank from where I intended, but It started to fall. After about 1.5 seconds my line stopped falling. I knew there was no way it hit bottom, and there are no trees on this bluff wall, so I reeled up the slack and set the hook.

It was one of those moments where you think...what did I get snagged on? Except, whatever it was started swimming deeper. FISH ON!

It started swimming straight up to the surface! I was reeling to keep up and keep tension on the line and she blew through the surface like a Berkley commercial. My heart is racing at this point because I know I have a REALLY nice bass on!

Back down she dove. I was trying to figure out the right amount of tension to get her in, but keep on her to keep her from jumping again. Suddenly she started darting for the surface again. I shoved my rod tip in the water and watched in horror as she blew through the surface another time, giving me a really good look. By now my partner is scrambling for the net and we are both as excited as 12 year olds at a peep show. I am so thankful right now that the Gamakatsu hook stayed in place.

I am making progress now, getting her closer to the boat, when she starts darting for the surface again. I just know, if she busts the surface again, I can't possibly keep her on. However, I am fishing with 8 lbs flouro line, and I don't want to horse her is, and yet she seems to be a wiley veteran fish who knows how to spit a hook. I shove my rod tip back into the water, and she is probably 12 feet away from the edge of the boat at this point. She gets close to the surface, and I guess sees the boat and dives back down. She starts pulling drag like I have never seen a LMB do. I can't believe she is doing this, but I know there are no trees or cables in this area, so I loosen my drag a little and make sure she can pull a little. Finally she is getting tired, and I am able to turn her around and start bringing her to the boat. As she gets about 6 feet away, I have the net in one hand and start to bring her in when she decides to jump again. I about have a heart attack!

By the grace of God, the hook holds again, and I bring her to the net. Now, I would love to tell you that I was cool and scooped her up in the net beautifully. Unfortunately, I looked like I had never operated a net before in my life, and I basically pushed her away with it instead. Luckily, she was out of fight, and I got her turned around again, and on the second scoop I got her in, or rather on, the net. I need a bigger net I now know.

I landed the second biggest fish (on Lake Travis anyway) career today. I have caught bigger fish in other places, but this baby had a mouth like a bucket on her. I tried to weigh her on the [censored] Berkley digital scale, but it was not working right still...I need to get a new scale. I was able to measure her at 22" length though. The size of her head was amazing to me, and her mouth was disproportionately large for her girth. I don't know what she weighed, probably like 6 lbs. Now, I know this is no lake record, but this was one of the most exciting catches of my life! Sometimes things just work out for you.

I fished about 15 more minutes without a bite, and packed it up to head home. I do have to get work done today, and the skiers were coming out. Besides, I couldn't top that story and asking for any more would just be selfish!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14086333 08/06/21 06:54 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Cool story and congrats on a "monster" here at Travis. 6 pounders are few and far between on this son of a motherless goat!! LOL! Hurt my back pretty bad a while back and it's just not any better so started calling to make appointments with a surgeon to see what's what. If I gotta do it I don't mind it in either the heat of summer or cold of winter. Nice job!!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide