Print Thread
Carp on the fly? #14065257 07/17/21 08:03 PM
T
Todd13 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I did a quick search and didn't find what I am looking for....

Any advice on where I can wade and find carp in DFW?
I am in Denton and not good at finding carp. I know Lake Ray Rob has a bunch of carp, but the water is up and I have never found them when I have walked the shoreline.
I walked Clear Fork of the Trinity today and couldn't spot any.
I have seen them at White Rock, on the dam. That would be a challenging spot to fish on that concrete slope (30 degees?).
I have seen buffalo at LELLA, but they are closed this summer.
I have stalked a few in Turtle Creek, but ...
I have casted to some in a river near Cleburne...

Anyhow, I don't have a kayak and would appreciate some advice/general location to go hunt them.

I am willing to put in more work to scout, but would appreciate a 'head start' if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have read "Trinity, Trinity and Trinity" but haven't see fly fishers as I am looking for spots. I am sure I just need to spend more time hunting for the right conditions.

"Tired and Discouraged in Denton"

if it ain't chartreuse, it's got no use.
Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14066752 07/19/21 03:35 PM
K
kaboboom Offline
Angler
Angler
K
I will tell you how I catch carp on fly rods, but I would not call it fly fishing. It's a blast, but it's basically bottom fishing with...corn. I tie a simple hair rig using a nail knot tool, bait it with boiled deer corn, and cast it off the bank at a local community lake that's always so muddy you could never use flies because you can't see the take...or the fish. Casting is a little tricky...you need big loops and a slow cadence. But....a 10 lb carp on a 5 wt glass rod is a blast...takes you quickly to your backing. I fish two rods staked down with cut off golf clubs. The reels I use have good drag systems...kind of a must. The carp hook themselves (because of the hair rig), and just take off. You then can somewhat leisurely pick-up the rod and set the hook lightly. If I didn't stake down the rods, they would end up somewhere in the lake.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: kaboboom] #14067185 07/19/21 10:55 PM
T
Todd13 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Ok....that is not what I was expecting, but works for sure....it's been a frustrating endeavor to say the least.

Thanks for the new angle. Not sure what I will do. I am considering a kayak so I can work shorelines more effectively and to chase smallies.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14067625 07/20/21 11:26 AM
F
FlyFX Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
check with Osborne Fishing, Barry seems to have it dialed in.

Most people double haul so they can throw their mistakes further - Bernard "Lefty" Kreh - R.I.P.
Glass rod, click & pawl, ugly flies
Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14068127 07/20/21 07:28 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by Todd13
Ok....that is not what I was expecting, but works for sure....it's been a frustrating endeavor to say the least.

Thanks for the new angle. Not sure what I will do. I am considering a kayak so I can work shorelines more effectively and to chase smallies.

Fly fishing for carp is pretty much 100% sight fishing. I'd say the kayak would actually put you at a disadvantage because you are sitting so low... unless you are using the kayak to gain access to flats that you can wade.

That said, lots of folks have caught carp incidentally when targeting other fish. But if you are blind casting hoping to catch carp you are going to be in for a long day.

Kabobooms method above is undoubtedly effective, but is basically euro style carp fishing using a fly rod instead of conventional.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14068201 07/20/21 08:54 PM
C
Capt. Mac Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Most of the lakes in North Texas are high making spotting fish on flats tough. I have a Jon boat that I converted to a poling skiff and I'm having a hard time spotting Carp from my poling platform. I feel blind when I'm wading. I would imagine it would be even worse in a kayak. Your best bet is to find fish in as shallow water as you can find (which isn't easy right now).

[Linked Image]
Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: FlyFX] #14069458 07/22/21 12:03 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by FlyFX
check with Osborne Fishing, Barry seems to have it dialed in.

FlyFX - Thanks for the nice comment.

Todd13 - welcome I really enjoy catching carp on a fly and usually catch several hundred every year. Here are a couple I caught Saturday.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I could easily write a book on the subject and it would cover a vast array of conditions. If you are a purest and want a natural fishing situation then the best place to find carp is during flooding. The fish will move up in floating debris and you can catch them readily if you find an area with a lot of fish. Flats around cattails are also good.

[Linked Image]

The simplest way to catch carp on a fly is to find abundant actively feeding fish. There are 2 ways to find those in DFW. You can find a place with fish that are concentrated, such as places where people feed ducks or feed around a marina, or you can concentrate carp chumming. I carry dog food and range cubes for chumming most of the time I am fishing. I throw out a handful or 2 around marinas or local ponds. Throw out the dog food 3 to 7 days in a row and if carp are around you should see them start rising after the food. If you don’t see any carp then move to another area.

Grapevine, Lewisville, and Ray Roberts all have carp. Most of the rivers also have carp and you can concentrate them with chum. If you are in Denton, check any parks that have water bodies. The community fishing list (Texas Parks and Wildlife) shows 2 lakes in Denton and it appears at least the north lake has carp.

Here is my carp slayer fly that I use. I have a floating and sinking version in different sizes. A #4 hook is a good size to start with. You will catch a lot of catfish on the sinking version.

[Linked Image]

Carp are one of the most exciting freshwater fish in Texas to catch on a fly. And they get big.
roflmao

Here is one I caught on Grapevine.

[Linked Image]

Hooking one once you find them is a whole different issue. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14069773 07/22/21 12:17 PM
C
CarlB Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Those flies look like hedgehogs! So that's how they get so big lol.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14071409 07/23/21 08:47 PM
T
Todd13 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Thank you Osborn, I sincerely appreciate the time and help. Between your help and a PM I got, I think I have enough information to be dangerous! I have a lot to learn, but that is what makes fishing so much fun.

thanks again, I will get after it just as soon as I get this shed built and painted!

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14072618 07/25/21 03:28 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Todd13
Thank you Osborn, I sincerely appreciate the time and help. Between your help and a PM I got, I think I have enough information to be dangerous! I have a lot to learn, but that is what makes fishing so much fun.

thanks again, I will get after it just as soon as I get this shed built and painted!

I am glad I could help. Let us know how you do.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14073733 07/26/21 03:56 PM
T
texasflycaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Is that that lake record from 2014? Nice.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: texasflycaster] #14073898 07/26/21 06:13 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by texasflycaster
Is that that lake record from 2014? Nice.

It is the 2013 waterbody and state catch and release record on a fly.

Re: Carp on the fly? [Re: Todd13] #14085164 08/05/21 06:47 PM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I located some, Monday, that were shallow and feeding. I didn't have a rod with me, but stalked as close as I could get before they spooked. I wanted to see if I could even get to within casting distance, before I planned a trip back. I went back yesterday, picturing the catch-fest! Water was up, less than 6" since Monday and was slightly muddier. Didn't see a single tail out of the water!
I'll be back, after a week or more without rain to try again!

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide