Print Thread
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14064374 07/16/21 09:30 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I was out today. Did well with Crappie on brushpiles. Think I caught 30 or so. The sandies were going crazy all over basically any point it seemed. They were up in 1-2 ft of water boiling and was really cool. I stopped and caught about 20 of them while headed to my crappie spots. It has been a long time since I have seen schooling action like that. When I left at 2pm I still was seeing some boiling. I used a tiny crappie jig to match the tiny shad they were spitting up.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14064840 07/17/21 04:52 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Not much to report with the sand bass, Me and Mason fished from lunch to 10pm. Cloud cover moved in about 2pm and not a whole lot of surface action seen. Need that sun out to get them up feeding. I saw a few very small schools but it was temporary. At 7:30 we drove around the lower end of the lake, from Meadomere to the dam on both sides. Only school we saw was between Scott's Landing and the island. The fish were about 7-8 inches long. Went back to bass fishing and ended with a really nice sunset. Caught a good bass on a swim jig, and was a really beautifully colored fish.. Many Village idiots out today, and I am not going to go out over the weekend. Hope all are well, and will get some more info on Monday.. Bass fishing is getting better, and the brush is almost out of the water. Found another anchor while walking the bank with mason.. Have two good anchors if anyone needs one.

Dr. released me from the sling, but no heavy lifting I am going to stay with spinning reels for a while.. But we are catching fish, and that is a good thing..

Mason took some good pictures of the sunset.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 07/17/21 04:54 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14065765 07/18/21 02:15 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Me and Mason did some walking around Trophy Club park yesterday. Hot as hades, but was interesting seeing the bank after the water dropped. We were seeing what Mason calls "alien eggs" everywhere. Took some pictures to answer the question, what are they? Touched base with the "Man", and he filled in the blanks..

Bryozoans (Moss animals) can be found in quiet lakes, ponds, streams and swamps attached to a surface under water. Description

Bryozoans are microscopic aquatic invertebrates that live in colonies. The colonies of different species take different forms, building exoskeletons (outer protective structures) similar to those of corals. Most colonies are attached to a structure such as a rock or submerged branch. Freshwater bryozoans' exoskeletons are gelatinous (like jelly) or chitinous (like the "shells" of insects). Therefore, some colonies take the form of rounded, jellylike masses, while others resemble antlers or mosses (bryophyte means “moss animal”), or trace delicately like vines across rocks, or create furry-looking colonies. The species that creates the round, jellylike masses most often seen in Missouri is Pectinatella magnifica.

Bryozoans are also a food source to fish, insects and snails. They also clean the water as they consume microorganisms. The presence of bryzoans typically indicates good water quality.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14065929 07/18/21 05:56 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Very interesting!

Really enjoy your posts on this thread. I typically target LMB at Grapevine and had been doing very well when the water was 9 feet high. Its been getting tougher for me as its been dropping. Sounds like its been getting better for you!

Keep up the great work. Hope to see you out there! I have been kayak fishing around the island and back into that McPherson slough area I guess its called?

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14066020 07/18/21 08:10 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Thank you for the feedback.. BTW:(LMBl) I have been doing well on a baby chug bug in the morning, stay close to structure ( rocks, brush, or a chunk bank). The shad i am seeing are not that big, so i scaled back. When it gets hot, head out and start fishing the drop 15-24ft.. Bigger are deep, smaller are above this.. Or at least that is what I have found.. Had many really nice fish follow my bait up to the boat in the last few weeks on the dam. Just about any main lake point has fish on it, getting them to bite is another story. Idiot wake boats trying to drive between me and the bank are killing me.

I am not working back into any creeks, staying on first, or secondary points. The water flow was decreased this last week, so things are stabilizing. But here is the one thing i am seeing. All my better fish are on the east side of the points, or major structure. But this is all subjective, take it with a grain of salt..

Going out early tomorrow.

Take care

Last edited by prosise; 07/18/21 10:10 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14066507 07/19/21 12:39 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
We did pretty good at the Island Saturday morning. Quite a few keepers finally. We did catch a few schooling down at the north end of the dam early. I will be back Thursday evening to give it another try. I will be switching to tandum 1/8 oz crappie jigs since they are spitting up 3/4" long shad. caught a bunch out at rock crusher but all were 8". We headed to the ramp at 11 to beat the Wake Boob crowd.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14067515 07/20/21 03:28 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at 8am, forgot about therapy so I wasn't able to hit the lake before sunrise.. Launched at Dove, fished the ramp with a swimbait and picked up two small bass and a nice crappie. My second black nose crappie. Sandbass were schooling at dove when I was there, I saw fish schooling pretty much all day. I fished for the green fish, and picked up a few sandbass when they were close. I had one rain shower in the AM that I couldn't avoid, but after that the rain kept stalling or going another direction. Really didn't fish for sandbass, so i dont have much input.. The schooling fish are all small, and there is allot of bait on the move. I ran into some large schools of large shad between rock ledge and the dam. I think Bass were working them, as they would explode every now and then.. Bass fishing is good, but you need to be patient.. Take care all..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14067620 07/20/21 11:12 AM
G
greatbigmerc Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Always learn a ton from you posts, but really appreciated you bringing up the Bryozoans. Had two of these show up in my castnet over the weekend, and could not figure out what they were. My son and I wore out the undersized sandbass schooling on top out from the main, mid lake. Only a couple dozen keeper size. It was awesome getting him on the schooling sandbass like that. Caught plenty on the Cordell spoons you noted, as well as 1/8oz jigs but probably needed to go down to 1/16 as they were all feeding on shad .5" to .75".

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14068549 07/21/21 02:42 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Thank you "Greatbigmerc", much appreciate the feedback.. We were also glad to get the rest of the story on those blobs..
Fished from 11 to dark for the green fish. Saw sandbass schooling at rock ledge part by the swim area about 6pm, but other than that I didn't see any top action. I camped on spots today so not much running around. Went exploring on the south side of the lake on the upper end, nothing of interest found. After that I did some scanning and checked main lake points.. I did fish the hump north of the rock crusher that I mentioned a couple weeks ago, only caught gaspergoo. Saw some fish on the graph at the rock crusher, but they were hugging the structure.
I didn't feel like dealing with hang ups hang ups. Fished a hump near the island and it only produced one white "keeper", and many many gaspergoo. To be honest, I like catching them more than whites.. Right now the bait are the key, Scotts Landing has a ton of bait in it. I am sure many other deep channel creeks are the same, "silver lake marina" for example. Bass fishing was tough today for me, and I only fished one common area. Trying to dial in on a pattern and looking for new areas. Hope all are well.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14069698 07/22/21 04:34 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Was on the lake from 6am-830pm. Fished for the green fish, but also did some exploring. I checked a few spots on the upper end, and a couple spots on the lower end. Did not find the big ones, and I checked the usual places. Found loads of gaspergoo on the humps, and ledges. Bass fishing is good, but you need to be patient. I had probably the best day on GV for bass today. Was able to chew the fat with a Good Man, who is teaching me the lake. He caught a donkey, and I caught good fish. The topwater bite with the baby chug bug is good. If you know where there are large submerged boulders, you have to fish those areas.. I fished an area I have never seen a boat, and I caught a really nice bass, and the smallest bass I think I have ever caught.. Did some community service and cleaned all the line off the bank on the east point of twin coves.. Sandbass were schooling everywhere today, at one point they were schooling at the boat.

Some fish you catch are enjoyable, and not huge.. Think this is my PB for smallest bass.
[Linked Image]

Community service
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14069987 07/22/21 03:22 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
WOW great job cleaning up all that line. Holy cow thats a lot of line.

I am going to be out there tomorrow in my yak trying some for catfish, some for bass and some for sandies... so junk fishing ha. Have a brush hawg on for the green fish, a slab for the sandies, a crankbait to troll for whatever (I like the bandits that dive 10/12 feet in basic white black back, they catch everything) and some fresh bluegill from the local pond for the catfish. I will run a couple of jugs to try to get some eaters and fish a HUGE gill on rod and reel trying to get a toad blue cat or even flattie who knows!?

Will post up how I do. If you are out there tomorrow and see a kayak in the McPherson Slough area feel free to say hello. Well... sometimes there are a lot of yaks in that area, so just say hi to them all. cheers

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14070527 07/22/21 11:48 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Here is some of the schooling activity I got into at gvine last week.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14070684 07/23/21 02:35 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Thanks for sharing, and much appreciate the info KidC. All the input helps others grow, even myself included. Going out tomorrow, hope to continue with some monster Bass... Will also do some looking around for those big girls..

Prosise

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14070837 07/23/21 12:28 PM
F
fonzie_r0cks Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I may be out on Saturday with the kayak haven’t decided yet.

Wild Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14071209 07/23/21 05:20 PM
S
Sandbasstard Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Mr Prosise I believe we seen you and your boy last friday chasing the schools of sandbass just west of sandbass point. Me and two buddies I grew up with in Grapevine were on an old aluminum boat, there was a flats boat out there as well. We ended up with dozen or so keeper sandbass but no telling how many undersized. Was a good day to get out with some old friends on a lake we grew up fishing. Smaller prune picker cotton Cordell slab with a drop shot hook about 18” above it with a Bobby garland blue ice baby Shad soft plastic was my go to setup

Last edited by Sandbasstard; 07/23/21 05:35 PM.
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide