Forums59
Topics1,038,937
Posts13,955,868
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: BassMaster Classic 2021 Livewell chemicals and supplements requirements [Re: Jack46] #14068386 07/21/21 12:02 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jack46
Originally Posted by 9094
Originally Posted by junk baits
Actually black bass are tasty with a nice seasoning. BUT BLACK BASS LIVES MATTER!!!

Agree. We eat black bass a few times a month. I take the fish that are struggling or dying from tournaments and clean them.
The big ones I cook on the half shell on the grill.

People that eat bass – Take a moment and check this bass care publication. This was published by ESPN Productions, Inc./B.A.S.S. 19 years ago and this bell still ring true today.

This section is about bass, livewell additives and chemical dips contamination and expert opinions by some of those over-thinkers.

Keeping Bass Alive, A Guidebook for Anglers and Tournament Organizers
http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdoors/bassmaster/pdf/Keeping_Bass_Alive.pdf

Gene Gilliland, et.al.
Published by: ESPN Productions, Inc./B.A.S.S.
5854 Carmichael Rd.
Montgomery, AL 36117
Copyright 2002 B.A.S.S.* Montgomery, AL

CHEMICALS

As noted in an earlier section, fish under stress take in more water than normal, diluting their blood. This creates an osmotic imbalance in their systems that can cause delayed mortality. By keeping the salinity of the water in the livewell near what their blood should be, you reduce the effects of stress. To achieve this, make a 0.5 percent solution by adding noniodized salt at a rate of 1/3 cup per 5 gallons of water. It may be convenient to pre-measure the salt into plastic bags and carry several with you for use during the day. Remember that every time you flush half the water from the livewell and refill with fresh water, you will need to add more salt.
Some commercial water conditioners that are reported to calm the fish, reduce stress, replace lost mucus coating, help regulate salt balance, and fight infections, contain chemicals that are not approved by the U.S. Food and Drug KEEPING BASS ALIVE – pg 20

Chapter Two Administration for use on fish that may be treated, released, then caught again at a later date and possibly eaten by humans. State and federal fisheries agencies cannot recommend the use of these products, not because of ineffectiveness, but because the ingredients have not been certified as safe for human contact or consumption.
“Use noniodized salt at a rate of 1/3 cup per 5 gallons of water.”

Another chemical that has sometimes been used to treat livewell or holding tank water is hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and water in the presence of organic material. However, this chemical can injure fish and SHOULD NOT BE USED.
Most people have used this colorless, odorless, tasteless liquid to disinfect a cut or scratch. You can see it fizzing and bubbling on the skin as it oxidizes. Now imagine what it does in a livewell full of bass. The bass’ mucus coating protects its skin from the oxidation reaction, but there is no such protective coating on the delicate gill filaments. Unfortunately, anglers who use hydrogen peroxide often think that if a little is good, a little more should be better. Wrong! Damage to gill filaments, suffocation and death may result.
“Do not use hydrogen peroxide in the livewell!” pg 21

B.A.S.S., State DNR’s and State Fishery Departments all continue this 19 year old stance on using livewell chemical dips for C&R tournament bass and contaminated food fish (bass) that humans catch and eat to date.

Here’s a published opinion from TP&WD Inland Firheries biologist:
Catch and Release Guidelines, Livewell Management Livewell Management (texas.gov)
“Never use commercial water additives unless they are in agreement with FDA and EPA regulations.”

Careful what kind of fish you eat. Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish from the Gulf of Mexico because they contain high levels of mercury. These fish are chemically contaminated too.

I don’t know anyone that eats black bass. Careful what kind of fish you eat and feed your kids.
Enjoy the read.

Man you are so full of [censored] you stink. There isn’t anything wrong with eating bass as long as it is out of a clean lake.
You remind me of the guy that ran Amistad Lodge years ago. Think your smarter than everyone else you talk to and all you do is copy and paste articles.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: BassMaster Classic 2021 Livewell chemicals and supplements requirements [Re: Jack46] #14068414 07/21/21 12:19 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Yep, bass are delicious

Re: BassMaster Classic 2021 Livewell chemicals and supplements requirements [Re: Jack46] #14069788 07/22/21 12:31 PM
J
Jack46 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks to everyone that participated.

wh doesn’t know but he saw ”some guy” [at the 2021 Classic] putting a chemical directly into the bass’s mouth.

Buda talked with a few guys at a Tuesday night tournament that said the same thing wh said.

None had pics or video, one has 1st hand observation of chemical applications. That is very unusual that TP&WD and Gilliland @ B.A.S.S. would approve of any contestant using chemicals other than salt and oxygen.

I appreciate everyone’s’ response and participation. Especially the Tanks response. He’s the best livewell air vent salesman I’ve ever seen or heard and he’s funny too. He likes winding up the readers as he enjoys the show and his pop corn. I bet the Tank not only sells air vents, but may bean owner or part owner of the VT-2 venture.
JJ

Re: BassMaster Classic 2021 Livewell chemicals and supplements requirements [Re: Jack46] #14069814 07/22/21 12:51 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Jack46
Thanks to everyone that participated.

wh doesn’t know but he saw ”some guy” [at the 2021 Classic] putting a chemical directly into the bass’s mouth.

Buda talked with a few guys at a Tuesday night tournament that said the same thing wh said.

None had pics or video, one has 1st hand observation of chemical applications. That is very unusual that TP&WD and Gilliland @ B.A.S.S. would approve of any contestant using chemicals other than salt and oxygen.

I appreciate everyone’s’ response and participation. Especially the Tanks response. He’s the best livewell air vent salesman I’ve ever seen or heard and he’s funny too. He likes winding up the readers as he enjoys the show and his pop corn. I bet the Tank not only sells air vents, but may bean owner or part owner of the VT-2 venture.
JJ

How many livewell vent salesmen have you heard? …besides yourself?

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: BassMaster Classic 2021 Livewell chemicals and supplements requirements [Re: Jack46] #14069851 07/22/21 01:28 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
confused 3

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide