texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Smokeontheriver, Quatro444, chirschler3409, DCott, Nitronomo101
115565 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 103,129
hopalong 97,493
Pilothawk 80,967
John175☮ 79,358
Bigbob_FTW 74,660
JDavis7873® 67,408
Mark Perry 63,068
Forum Statistics
Forums61
Topics1,151,930
Posts15,749,918
Members140,565
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? #14057553 07/10/21 03:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 662
B
bockscar Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 662
Or another one of those smallie factories. And im talking prime time of the season too for smallie fishing (when would that be btw?). What kinda coin would you need to drop to get from TX to one of those epic smallie lakes up north, and hire a guide for at least 4-5 days? Im assuming i cant rent my own boat...and probably wouldnt want to...that water can get scary quick it seems and id be like a chicken with my head cut off looking for them too.

Wondering what you guys spent whove done it? If i did it figure id have to do at least 4 days considering the overall investment in the trip. would make more sense to do as many days as possible i figure

in case youre wondering why im posting this fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvPjpO-uGk&ab_channel=WheelerFishing

Last edited by bockscar; 07/10/21 03:56 AM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14057566 07/10/21 05:45 AM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,811
M
Monty Wright Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
M
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,811
Doing a quick search for flight, AirBnB, and rental car. Leaving August 17th and flying home August 22nd.

Flight on United from Houston to Syracuse, NY, $1,200.
Rental car (sedan) $880
Airbnb in Massena, NY $515
Guide trip with Travis Manson $575/Day (4 days total $2,300)

Total: $4,895. That doesn't include any food. If you split the rental car, Airbnb & guide cost, you're at ~$3,050

I'm certain you could find cheaper flights, possibly rental car (it's 2-3 hour drive from Syracuse to Massena), a place to stay and a cheaper guide.

It's a 27 hour drive from my house to Massena, NY according to Google Maps.


[Linked Image]
Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14057574 07/10/21 07:32 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,017
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
A
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,017
I think you could do Lake Michigan/Green Bay quite a bit cheaper.

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14057575 07/10/21 09:15 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 26,076
Okie Poke Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 26,076
Last time we did it was 2016. Costs are below for one person...

Rountrip Airfare to Chicago.....$380
Rental car daily.......$80X4days = $320
Gas total = $150 (4.5hr drive to Traverse City)
Hotel $149/nightX 4= $596
Guide service www.northernadventuresfishing.com (prime time is late May) $600/dayX4 = $2,500 ($100tip)
Food $100/dayX4 = $400

TOTAL = $4346

You could prolly whittle off some here and there if you are frugal, but some areas may be more expensive such as rental cars. I recently tried to get rental car for ABQ for next month bus travels, and the ones that I could even find was costing around $300/day. That's why I'm driving out there. I won't pay that for a sub-compact car. It's only a 9-hr drive. GL and I hope this helps.



😎 No matter where ya go, there ya are... 😎



Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14057845 07/10/21 04:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 58
W
Weavertree Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 58
I've pulled my boat (20' Skeeter) up north every May since 2008. A little preparation and its no big deal. Pulling my rig from Shreveport it typically takes 5 tanks of gas to get to Mille Lacs, Lake Michigan, Lake Erie and St. Claire. We stay at an Airbnb, cost per night runs $125 to $200. You don't need a guide; every smallmouth in the lake is pulling up into 10 fow or less depending on water clarity. 4 to 8' is generally in the money if rock is plentiful. They are not as hard to find as largemouth in general...just stay on the move till you find them. Week trip cost:
Gas...........+/-$700.00
Lodging... +/-$1700.00
Food........+/-$800.00

Total...$3200 for 2 people

It cost me about $2800 for myself, wife and grandson for a week on St. Claire in May this year. We caught the [censored] out of big smallmouth without a guide.

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: Weavertree] #14057990 07/10/21 09:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,180
F
forkduc Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,180
I’d recommend this option.

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: forkduc] #14058091 07/10/21 11:07 PM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 662
B
bockscar Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
B
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 662
Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Doing a quick search for flight, AirBnB, and rental car. Leaving August 17th and flying home August 22nd.

Flight on United from Houston to Syracuse, NY, $1,200.
Rental car (sedan) $880
Airbnb in Massena, NY $515
Guide trip with Travis Manson $575/Day (4 days total $2,300)

Total: $4,895. That doesn't include any food. If you split the rental car, Airbnb & guide cost, you're at ~$3,050

I'm certain you could find cheaper flights, possibly rental car (it's 2-3 hour drive from Syracuse to Massena), a place to stay and a cheaper guide.

It's a 27 hour drive from my house to Massena, NY according to Google Maps.

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Doing a quick search for flight, AirBnB, and rental car. Leaving August 17th and flying home August 22nd.

Flight on United from Houston to Syracuse, NY, $1,200.
Rental car (sedan) $880
Airbnb in Massena, NY $515
Guide trip with Travis Manson $575/Day (4 days total $2,300)

Total: $4,895. That doesn't include any food. If you split the rental car, Airbnb & guide cost, you're at ~$3,050

I'm certain you could find cheaper flights, possibly rental car (it's 2-3 hour drive from Syracuse to Massena), a place to stay and a cheaper guide.

It's a 27 hour drive from my house to Massena, NY according to Google Maps.


Damn....but $5k is about what I was expecting! Harder to look at broken down like that! I usually just like to spend and regret it later roflmao

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Last time we did it was 2016. Costs are below for one person...

Rountrip Airfare to Chicago.....$380
Rental car daily.......$80X4days = $320
Gas total = $150 (4.5hr drive to Traverse City)
Hotel $149/nightX 4= $596
Guide service www.northernadventuresfishing.com (prime time is late May) $600/dayX4 = $2,500 ($100tip)
Food $100/dayX4 = $400

TOTAL = $4346

You could prolly whittle off some here and there if you are frugal, but some areas may be more expensive such as rental cars. I recently tried to get rental car for ABQ for next month bus travels, and the ones that I could even find was costing around $300/day. That's why I'm driving out there. I won't pay that for a sub-compact car. It's only a 9-hr drive. GL and I hope this helps.



NICE! Im frugal....but im not cheap. id definitely try and cut costs if I could....but for it being a rare/special occassion I wouldnt cheap out and let money affect the experience. Seems like a good ballpark you all are figuring at

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher
I think you could do Lake Michigan/Green Bay quite a bit cheaper.


Thats what I was kinda wondering if I could do it cheaper at not as hot a spot....but....is the fishing just as good there? Id rather spend the money since its not gonna be a yearly thing (might be after LOL) if st lawrence fishes better.

Originally Posted by Weavertree
I've pulled my boat (20' Skeeter) up north every May since 2008. A little preparation and its no big deal. Pulling my rig from Shreveport it typically takes 5 tanks of gas to get to Mille Lacs, Lake Michigan, Lake Erie and St. Claire. We stay at an Airbnb, cost per night runs $125 to $200. You don't need a guide; every smallmouth in the lake is pulling up into 10 fow or less depending on water clarity. 4 to 8' is generally in the money if rock is plentiful. They are not as hard to find as largemouth in general...just stay on the move till you find them. Week trip cost:
Gas...........+/-$700.00
Lodging... +/-$1700.00
Food........+/-$800.00

Total...$3200 for 2 people

It cost me about $2800 for myself, wife and grandson for a week on St. Claire in May this year. We caught the [censored] out of big smallmouth without a guide.


Im in a tin rig...17 footer with a baby 50hp on it. Im sure id get swallowed up at 5mph wind out there with it roflmao
Originally Posted by forkduc
I’d recommend this option.


Wish I could....trust me, I built my boat for me! Love that thing! Only has 1 seat too, so I can have more places to stand! LOL its my fishing machine.....but not sure it can handle those waters and make it back to the ramp

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14058202 07/11/21 01:36 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 667
B
basseditor Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
B
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 667
I'm going to Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay around June 1 next year. The above is great info. If fishing is good, I might stay most of the summer.

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14059333 07/12/21 01:49 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,711
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 8,711
I've fished the St Lawrence and a couple of lakes in Minnesota, and I never used a guide. I'd say compared to Texas the fishing is 10 times easier. If you go to NY and the smallmouth don't cooperate (which is doubtful), you can always take a spinnerbait with a big willowleaf blade and fish the grass for Northern Pike. They're super aggressive and fun to catch.


“If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.” - Samuel Adams
Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14059471 07/12/21 04:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 43,377
R
RayBob Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 43,377
Originally Posted by bockscar
Or another one of those smallie factories. And im talking prime time of the season too for smallie fishing (when would that be btw?). What kinda coin would you need to drop to get from TX to one of those epic smallie lakes up north, and hire a guide for at least 4-5 days? Im assuming i cant rent my own boat...and probably wouldnt want to...that water can get scary quick it seems and id be like a chicken with my head cut off looking for them too.

Wondering what you guys spent whove done it? If i did it figure id have to do at least 4 days considering the overall investment in the trip. would make more sense to do as many days as possible i figure

in case youre wondering why im posting this fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmvPjpO-uGk&ab_channel=WheelerFishing



If you decide to try Maine let me know. Can be easily done for $3000/week all inclusive. Pre spawn early May in Down East Maine, spawn mid-May. Southern Maine (Portland) go a week earlier. Slightly smaller fish with 5's more difficult to find. Plenty of 3-3.5# fish. Lots of different lakes.


Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14059701 07/12/21 08:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 154
R
R83steve Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 154
I wonder what the small mouth fishing would be like in these areas between now and October? And which area would be preferred? I'd definitely tow my boat.


"How long you boys been mounted on sheep down there "?
True Grit 2010
Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14060133 07/13/21 05:05 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 760
S
Skeeter443 Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
S
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 760
I just got back from Minnesota for 1 week smallmouth fishing. Me and 3 buddies drove, mainly because of all the stuff we wanted to bring. Rented a 42 foot houseboat for 7 days on Rainey Lake. Took us a couple days to figure out the smallmouth, but got a bunch once we found them. Rented 2 17 foot aluminum boats to fish out of. Had a blast. $1500 per person.


Realtor-Legacy Real Estate Group-Lake Sam Rayburn lake properties
281-475-6385 Willifordrealestate@yahoo.com
www.blastandcast.org
Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14060284 07/13/21 01:02 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,628
BigDozer66 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 10,628
fish


2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14060295 07/13/21 01:14 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 193
BAllen91 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 193
We went to St Clair last year. Drove up there (16 hrs) in my buddies wife's Honda Accord so gas was cheap (40 MPG) and fished three days with a guide. Our AirBNB was pretty cheap so I'd say it cost us about $1,500 each.

First time up there I was a little intimated of taking my own boat which is a FX20. We're going back in two weeks this time we're taking my truck/boat and staying at an AirBNB on the lake. It's going to be much more expensive but we'll get to fish 7 days and on our own clock, it's worth it.

Last edited by BAllen91; 07/13/21 01:14 PM.
Re: How much would it cost to take a weekish long trip to St. Lawrence? [Re: bockscar] #14060302 07/13/21 01:16 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 193
BAllen91 Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 193
Speaking of this...does anyone have a Navionics chip they want to sell/rent/loan that covers the north???

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3