Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
First Time - First Post #14050421 07/02/21 07:27 PM
BlueNitro Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Well..... at least in this section.

Back story - I was working out the end of last year (Covid 15 had started to get to me) when I started feeling a little off in my chest when I laid down. Because of Covid, I tried to ignore it and let it go until mid-January when something really began to go wrong so off to the doctor I went. Turns out I had pneumonia for those 3 - 4 weeks that turned into an infection that settled in my groin and also a collapsed left lung. The doc had done blood work and told me that I wasn't pre-diabetic but I would be by 60 (I'm 55) if my numbers kept going the way they were. I asked what I could do and she said lose some weight and get in better shape.

Like I mentioned, I had been lifting (not much cardio) and for a month after the doc visit I continued to do so but had actually started to gain weight instead of losing it. A trainer saw me lifting real heavy and he started a conversation and asked me if I was training for a body building competition because of the weight I was pushing. I explained to him that I was trying to lose weight while getting into better shape. He told me I was going about it the wrong way and would put me on a program if I would trust him so I said "sure, why not". The program is to do 33 reps - rest 15 seconds - do 33 more reps - rest 20 seconds - do 34 reps with the same arm/leg and then switch to the other arm/leg and do the same. Obviously, the weights are a lot lower but enough that I was struggling 2/3rds through the 2nd set and 1/2 way through the 3rd set. Then I would put as much weight as I could handle and do 5 sets of 20 alternating between arms/legs. Then I do a little more weight with reps of 10 and as many sets as I could do. It would take me 2 hours to get through a leg session by the time I did 4 machines. This is done for every muscle group or machine and I would focus on one muscle group per visit (along with some ab work and a little cardio). Here is a good one to try - for bench presses put a 45 lb and a 10 lb on each side of the bar (Smith machine is recommended) and your goal is to do 100 reps in less than 10 minutes. I have seen some huge guys who couldn't do it. Then I add weight and do a second and third set like listed above. The secret is to do as many (25 - 45) reps on your first go and then do what you can after that. I also do more cable and free weights and not just the typical movements.

It worked because I lost 25 lbs so far and I am in the best shape of my life and I played sports and lifted most of my teens, 20's and 30's and off and on in my 40's and early 50's. My strength is also better and just the other night I did 100 reps with 245 on the bar in just under 8 minutes (I'm still sore from that one).

I just thought I would share and would be happy to answer any questions.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: First Time - First Post [Re: BlueNitro] #14050509 07/02/21 09:00 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I like your motivation, Blue. Stay on it. As we age, it just gets harder. I turned 60 last year but my goal is to bust 215 at the end of the year. I was almost two fiddy in Jan. Everyone has their own process, but it really comes down to a very simple equation. Burn more calories than you consume. That's it. Mine has become walking and fasting. Not on the kick now, but have planned to start back in Sept. I believe I'm gonna give myself a month head start now that I've read your post. Thank you for the encouragement and you didn't even know you did it. August 1st I'm gonna get back in to win. Join our Health and Fitness group. Not many are left, but maybe a few more will show up when they see another positive result like yours. Proud for your accomplishments!

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: First Time - First Post [Re: BlueNitro] #14053937 07/06/21 06:39 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Blue where do you work out? You can PM me if you dont want the groupies showing up at your gym. I used to go to the one by your place, over behind the Taco Burger Hut but now I go to Fitness Connection on Main and Garden Ridge. Its quite a bit nicer and the same price. Hours have been reduced after COVID which I dont like, but its still better than the other option in the area.

Been trying to get myself back on track. Lost 40lbs a few years ago but after a year put it all back on and then with the COVID added another 10 on top of that!! I am working on it though. Been doing a lot of cardio, some weights and a little fake boxing at a place that does that. But we all know its All about the diet man. The working out is great but its really what you put in your face that seems to matter the most by far when it comes to just pure weight loss.

Re: First Time - First Post [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #14053941 07/06/21 06:42 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Blue where do you work out? You can PM me if you dont want the groupies showing up at your gym.

I might qualify as a 'groupie', but could use a referral to a good place. The spare tire around my middle has gotten to be too much lately.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: First Time - First Post [Re: Uncle Zeek] #14053974 07/06/21 07:23 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Blue where do you work out? You can PM me if you dont want the groupies showing up at your gym.

I might qualify as a 'groupie', but could use a referral to a good place. The spare tire around my middle has gotten to be too much lately.

I go to Fitness Connection in Lewisville. Its on the far side of town from you at Main and Garden Ridge...right across the St is Flo Mo. Price is fair, its clean, much better equipped than Planet Fitness off SH121 and price is the same. Its never too busy...but then again I usually go at 530-545am. Its starting to pick up when I leave BUT they still have plenty of machines and space.

Now, if your looking for something more specialized there are options around for smaller boutique gyms that almost always include a trainer... no first hand exp. with those though and I am sure they are not $10 a month. This is likely the white glove service that Blue gets... he is a first class gent. No shabby commoners gym for him!

Re: First Time - First Post [Re: BlueNitro] #14054534 07/07/21 12:45 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
$10 a month is about my speed. I don't need trainers, just equipment to work with.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: First Time - First Post [Re: BlueNitro] #14054594 07/07/21 01:25 PM
BlueNitro Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
I just go to the Planet Fitness at 121/Bellaire because it is close to my house and the staff is very nice. I'm a Black Card member so I can take any of you guys if you want to go check it out sometime.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: First Time - First Post [Re: BlueNitro] #14055095 07/07/21 07:47 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by BlueNitro
I just go to the Planet Fitness at 121/Bellaire because it is close to my house and the staff is very nice. I'm a Black Card member so I can take any of you guys if you want to go check it out sometime.

Yes I was a member they're from when they opened until about 2 years ago.

Never did the black card but I understand that lets you get a suntan and also a waterbed massage?

That is stupid close to your house it wouldn't really make sense to drive up for the one that I'm going to now...not that it's far maybe 3 miles but still planet fitness is like a hundred yards from you.

So you're recommending this incredibly high rep workout...I'll try it out. Always good to mix it up and do something different.

Re: First Time - First Post [Re: BlueNitro] #14067623 07/20/21 11:21 AM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
I hav been doing high rep/low weight workouts for a month. It is effective. If you are without a trainer, go to YouTube and look up Ryan Humiston. He’s good with this approach and a no-nonsense funny guy.

Now, if I could just get this guy down a bit!

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide