Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
South Padre Guide and Surf fishing #14053775 07/06/21 03:53 PM
Big Hooker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Hey guys. Taking the Family to South Padre July 22-25. Looking to book a guide for Friday July 23. I will have 2 kids ages 11 and 8 with me. Can anyone recommend a good bay or offshore guide? Also any tips for catching fish in the surf?

thanks,

Re: South Padre Guide and Surf fishing [Re: Big Hooker] #14053841 07/06/21 05:01 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
We just got back from S Padre. I asked similar question in General Saltwater section...you can see guide recommendations there as well as my summary from our trip. I have two boys-16 and 13. We went with Craig Woolly and he was good. (www.spifishon.com) Keeps his boat at a marina/bar/restaurant called Parrot Eyes. Cool place in the middle of town. I think it was 5 minute drive from our condo. We fished from 630am-noon and action was non-stop for smaller speckled trout. Most of the bigger fish were killed by the freeze. More than enough room on the boat for 3 fisherman. We took plenty of water and food. Kept my boys interested. Ended up with 3 keepers and took them back to Parrot Eyes where they were cooked. Great way to end the trip. Craig worked hard and was good with the boys. Of course we wished we could have caught more keepers but most of the other guides at the marina also brought back only 2-3 keepers each. As for surf fishing, I do a lot of surf fishing in Galveston but never SPI. Water is way clearer. There are WAY more people to dodge it's almost impossible to stay away from the crowds. We caught a few whiting in the first gut on dead shrimp but that's it. I would recommend getting out from 6am-9am and calling it a day...that's when the crowds start showing up.

Re: South Padre Guide and Surf fishing [Re: rkd] #14061291 07/14/21 12:02 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by rkd
We just got back from S Padre. I asked similar question in General Saltwater section...you can see guide recommendations there as well as my summary from our trip. I have two boys-16 and 13. We went with Craig Woolly and he was good. (www.spifishon.com) Keeps his boat at a marina/bar/restaurant called Parrot Eyes. Cool place in the middle of town. I think it was 5 minute drive from our condo. We fished from 630am-noon and action was non-stop for smaller speckled trout. Most of the bigger fish were killed by the freeze. More than enough room on the boat for 3 fisherman. We took plenty of water and food. Kept my boys interested. Ended up with 3 keepers and took them back to Parrot Eyes where they were cooked. Great way to end the trip. Craig worked hard and was good with the boys. Of course we wished we could have caught more keepers but most of the other guides at the marina also brought back only 2-3 keepers each. As for surf fishing, I do a lot of surf fishing in Galveston but never SPI. Water is way clearer. There are WAY more people to dodge it's almost impossible to stay away from the crowds. We caught a few whiting in the first gut on dead shrimp but that's it. I would recommend getting out from 6am-9am and calling it a day...that's when the crowds start showing up.

There is no problem getting away from the crowds, all you have to do is drive 10 minutes North and get on the beach at Access Point 6 and drive on the beach a couple miles and be all by yourself. You tackle is right there in your truck 10 steps from where you are fishing. Why would anyone want to fish right in front of the hotels?

GOD is good!
Re: South Padre Guide and Surf fishing [Re: ReelSlow] #14068117 07/20/21 07:18 PM
S
Stanley Orchard Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I used to LOOOVE fishing in front of the hotels as a kid in high school. Nothing attracts the chics like hauling in a big ol' shark right in front of everyone. Of course these days I take the famliy as far from that as possible.

Stanley Orchard
Texas Family Fishing Vlog-eneur!
YouTube.com/stanleyorchard
Insta/Twitter: @OrchardStanley
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide