Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14053680 07/06/21 02:14 PM
F
Flip-n-go Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Prayers for the family that lost those 2 sisters. I'm not sure what can be done about the wakeboard wakes. The operators just don't care or just oblivious to what & where the wakes they create do. How do you hold the operators responsible for their actions or damage they cause? The people that rent out boats & pwc are part of the problem also, just turning folks loose that have no idea what the laws or marine protocol are. I definitely don't want more laws & regulation, but it's not safe or enjoyable when your head is constantly on a swivel to keep from getting thrown out or ran over.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14053726 07/06/21 02:56 PM
T
TDR2 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Theres no doubt about it, they are dangerous for other boaters and they truly show zero regard for anything other than their own amusement. These newer boats continue to push out larger wakes and more dangerous conditions.

P1
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14053732 07/06/21 03:07 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
You mean the ones throwing a huge wake just outside the no wake zone at the boat ramp at Johnson Branch yesterday? mad My boat is old but I still don't like it bounced off of the courtesy dock while I am parking.(I fish solo mostly) Prayers for the family, sounds like an unnecessary tragedy!

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14053739 07/06/21 03:15 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
I think the bigger yacht type boats are way more dangerous than surf boats.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Sinkey] #14053774 07/06/21 03:53 PM
F
Flip-n-go Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by Sinkey
I think the bigger yacht type boats are way more dangerous than surf boats.

I agree that the vacht types throw some big rollers, but they don't do circles around me or go out of their way to wreck the lake.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14053790 07/06/21 04:03 PM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
All the fork guys used to running wot down by the dam during the summer need to start looking out. Wake boat was out last weekend throwing a 3 foot wake in the marked boat lane. That wouldn’t be fun to hit at 70 on a otherwise calm day. Fist time I have seen a wake boat on fork. Hopefully just a 4 th anomaly. But I am seeing a lot more people towing skiers and swimming by their boats in the boat lanes and if you fish close to the lanes some are going out of their way to get way too close like with in 5 ft next to stumps to teach you a lesson so be safe out there. Also I keep seeing on TikTok videos of people purposely submarining their bow riders by what looks like them throwing them in reverse at wot or doing circles and the spearing their own wake and pontoons looking like they purposely spear waves of wake boats to soak passengers. I don’t get it and everyone in the videos are have a grand ole time. Condolences to the family in this situation. Everyone be safe.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Rog] #14053797 07/06/21 04:11 PM
Sinkey Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Online Content
Tidy Scoop
Originally Posted by Rog
All the fork guys used to running wot down by the dam during the summer need to start looking out. Wake boat was out last weekend throwing a 3 foot wake in the marked boat lane. That wouldn’t be fun to hit at 70 on a otherwise calm day. Fist time I have seen a wake boat on fork. Hopefully just a 4 th anomaly. But I am seeing a lot more people towing skiers and swimming by their boats in the boat lanes and if you fish close to the lanes some are going out of their way to get way too close like with in 5 ft next to stumps to teach you a lesson so be safe out there. Also I keep seeing on TikTok videos of people purposely submarining their bow riders by what looks like them throwing them in reverse at wot or doing circles and the spearing their own wake and pontoons looking like they purposely spear waves of wake boats to soak passengers. I don’t get it and everyone in the videos are have a grand ole time. Condolences to the family in this situation. Everyone be safe.

I saw that boat Saturday rounding the point of Little Caney headed over to the dam. We actually saw 2 wake boats out there Saturday. And I agree about people tubing. My wife even commented on all the people tubing either right in the boat lane or whipping kids right by it. Especially from Minnow Bucket down to the dam.
I pull my kids all the time out there behind the pontoon, but only over by the dam.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Rog] #14053817 07/06/21 04:37 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Rog

Dragging a kid behind a boat in a boat lane is the epitome of stupid. Those people on Granbury do that all the time. I'm amazed that more people don't get killed on that lake. Fork will be even worse if starts to be a common thing there.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14053842 07/06/21 05:02 PM
F
Flip-n-go Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
We all are just going to have to pay extra attention to the increased traffic, unsafe practices, etc. I fished Lewisville Sunday morning, golf course cove area, from 7 to 12 & when I loaded @ Lake Park there was more people in the park than I've ever seen, ever. Jetskis were using the no wake bouys for a slalom course, hundreds of swimmers, & I never saw 1 safety patrol in the area. The increased boat traffic is just what comes with prosperity I guess. Just everybody keep safe & pay attention.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14053961 07/06/21 07:09 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Originally Posted by Rog

Dragging a kid behind a boat in a boat lane is the epitome of stupid. Those people on Granbury do that all the time. I'm amazed that more people don't get killed on that lake. Fork will be even worse if starts to be a common thing there.

Granbury doesn't have boatlanes. They just have the channel marked. I grew up skiing there. Nothing unsafe about it

Re: Wake boats [Re: Dubee] #14053981 07/06/21 07:29 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Dubee
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Originally Posted by Rog

Granbury doesn't have boatlanes. They just have the channel marked. I grew up skiing there. Nothing unsafe about it

Lots of places on that lake that if you don't stay by the buoys, channel markers, lanes whatever the hell you would like to call them you will hit timber. Specifically just south of Rough creek park and multiple place north of the bridge. But hey, if you want to pull your little kids in a funnel point with hundreds of drunk idiots running bow to transom.....by all means go right ahead. I'm not saying there are zero open places to ski or tube on Granbury. You would think a sensible person would use the safe spots instead.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14053994 07/06/21 07:48 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Story I heard was they rented the boat WITH a driver. The boat started to take water into a pontoon and list. Possible cause was it being over capacity combined with rough water due to heavy boat traffic. My question is where are the life jackets?

I get the impression neither of the sisters could swim. If a boat starts to list and the waves are heavy?? As a kayaker I wear mine 100% of the time but for sure if I was on a listing boat and not a good swimmer... I would put on two!

This kayak angler stays of the Lew this time of year. Its too dangerous. Used to be safe on weekdays in summer but no more! Seems no one works and everyone has a boat. Too many inexperienced, selfish and intoxicated people to be in a 12 foot piece of plastic around.

So senseless that these events happen every year like clock work and 99% of them can be avoided with a $20 life jacket...they dont work if you dont wear them though.

Prayers for the family of these two young ladies... seemed like really cool folks from what I saw. Just wanted a fun day on the lake. So sad.

Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14054713 07/07/21 03:14 PM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Prayers for the family... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Wake boats [Re: Joel McBride] #14054715 07/07/21 03:16 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
It's easy to blame everyone or anything else, but if life jackets were worn this may not have happened.
We all need to take responsibility for our actions.

Just one more cast!

Re: Wake boats [Re: Jimbo] #14054729 07/07/21 03:23 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Jimbo
It's easy to blame everyone or anything else, but if life jackets were worn this may not have happened.
We all need to take responsibility for our actions.

while I agree with your post , Wake boats are out of hand and cause unsafe conditions for others and the owners and operators of them have zero regard for anything but their starring role in their own kickasss life.

I don't know the circumstances of whether they were underway or just sitting and got swamped but if just sitting and enjoying the day I can't sit here and preach they should have had a pfd on.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide