Forums59
Topics1,037,826
Posts13,935,180
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Mudshark] #14053104 07/05/21 09:13 PM
C
Coach Hark Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted by Mudshark
Originally Posted by Coach Hark
Originally Posted by Mudshark
I wish wienerschnitzel would rise from the ashes and be as great as they have the potential to be.

I loved that place. Best chili cheese dogs EVER!!! Unfortunately none of the chains are very good anymore. I try hard not to eat at chain restaurant. IMO the independent owners of restaurants have better food.

I Could sit in the parking lot with a bag of chili dogs and weep with enjoyment. Chili dripping from my elbows, mustard on the steering wheel.

Grand Prairie still has one. Right off I-20 as you exit to go to the outlets there, off Great Southwest Parkway.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right

http://constantpursuitoutfitters.com/

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Bob Davis] #14053113 07/05/21 09:29 PM
B
Beer Money Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
There used to be, a long time ago, Late 80's, 90's, a restaurant in Garland on Northwest Highway called Judge Roy Beans. It was a great little burger place. They had a menu like Chili's. Their burgers were awesome and you could order french fries with cheddar cheese melted on top and they were good. The walls were plastered with $1 bills that people would write their names on. Not a fancy place but good food for a fair price.

There was one in Richardson also. I believe I was on Coit/Beltline. They had a good chicken fried steak and they had a burger that I believe was 4 or 5 lbs and if you ate it along with fries, you got it free.

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: CCTX] #14053140 07/05/21 09:59 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
White Castle

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: CCTX] #14053145 07/05/21 10:00 PM
C
CCTX Offline OP
mapquest
OP Offline
mapquest
C
Zoe’s Kitchen
Quality stayed strong, but their ordering protocol changed (had to start ordering large group meals 24H in advance) and their excellent pimento cheese disappeared off the menu

I think they expanded too quickly.

[Linked Image]
Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Beer Money] #14053148 07/05/21 10:02 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Beer Money
There used to be, a long time ago, Late 80's, 90's, a restaurant in Garland on Northwest Highway called Judge Roy Beans. It was a great little burger place. They had a menu like Chili's. Their burgers were awesome and you could order french fries with cheddar cheese melted on top and they were good. The walls were plastered with $1 bills that people would write their names on. Not a fancy place but good food for a fair price.

There was one in Richardson also. I believe I was on Coit/Beltline. They had a good chicken fried steak and they had a burger that I believe was 4 or 5 lbs and if you ate it along with fries, you got it free.

thumb cheers

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Bigbob_FTW] #14053156 07/05/21 10:10 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by kennerdude
Please bring back Shakeys pizza. Grew up in W. Tx and frequented the one in San Angelo.

Shakey's was awesome in Tulsa, also. We used to always go every Sunday growing up as a kid after church for the all you can eat buffet. Been gone a long, long time....

We were more in to shotgun Sam's.

both were within 1/2 mi. of each other on 39th in Okie city. ate a LOT of pizza at either.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Beer Money] #14053192 07/05/21 11:01 PM
L
LoneStarSon Online Content
Private Dancer
Online Content
Private Dancer
L

I had forgotten about that place. Yeah, it was a good!

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: hopalong] #14053215 07/05/21 11:26 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by kennerdude
Please bring back Shakeys pizza. Grew up in W. Tx and frequented the one in San Angelo.

Shakey's was awesome in Tulsa, also. We used to always go every Sunday growing up as a kid after church for the all you can eat buffet. Been gone a long, long time....

We were more in to shotgun Sam's.

both were within 1/2 mi. of each other on 39th in Okie city. ate a LOT of pizza at either.

Ken's was the best pizza in Tulsa.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: TKOutdoorsman] #14053367 07/06/21 02:23 AM
J
JWfish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted by TKOutdoorsman
The Candlelight Inn on Division in Arlington was/is still a pretty good place. Been about 5 years since I’ve been, but back in the day and through my 40’s I could always get the chopped steak special for $3.95 if I remember correctly, then wash it down with a big mug of Old Milwaukee. Back when you could buy beer at 18.
Those were some times.

Cool! I didn’t even know they were still there! Raised in Arlington, and it was one of my parents favorite place to take us out for dinner. Might have to re visit it next time we are back in Arlington.

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: CCTX] #14053374 07/06/21 02:33 AM
J
JWfish Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Boston Sea Party! There was one in Dallas, one in Houston and probably more that I’m not aware of.Man Oh Man talk about the best All You Can Eat Seafood! They had huge stations of multiple versions of every seafood you could think off. Even if you went every week, you could have never tried it all.

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Scagnetti] #14053628 07/06/21 01:35 PM
F
Flyfisherman Offline
Mama's Boy
Mama's Boy
F
Originally Posted by Scagnetti
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Scagnetti
Originally Posted by WAWI
And Black eyed Pea was awesome when Gene Street owned it. Nose dived within months of him selling

All of his restaurants (Dixie House, Black-eyed Pea, Good Eats) we’re struggling before he sold or closed them. The whole “home cooking” thing had gotten old.

BEP was doing fine, good eats really never got going good. Cantina Laredo was a mess, I believe he owns la hacienda ranch still and idk if Cool River is still around.

He doesnt own la hacienda ranch, I forgot he owned 3 forks and silver fox
Too

And El Chico and spaghetti warehouse, man that guy controlled a bunch of concepts over the years.

He and Phil Cobb knocked it out of the park back in the day.

They took advantage of a booming Texas economy and a restaurant starved Dallas.

I went to school with Gene Street’s son. That kid was high as a kite 24/7. His dad owning countless restaurants probably helped with his munchies.

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Beer Money] #14053653 07/06/21 01:51 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T

There was one on Greenville in Dallas if I recall correctly. Used to go there all the time.

Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: Trickster] #14053660 07/06/21 01:53 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Trickster

There was one on Greenville in Dallas if I recall correctly. Used to go there all the time.

used to be one by Ridgmar Mall too.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Chain restaurants that used to be good; their date of downfall; reason [Re: CCTX] #14053734 07/06/21 03:09 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
The quality at a lot of places has gone down dramatically, but also what it takes to "please" me has gone up equally. I really struggle even picking a place when the wife wants to go out to eat. Unless we are going to some ultra high end place where it's $100+ a person, the food frankly just sucks. I'd rather go to Chick-Fil-A than 95% of sit down chains; if I'm going to eat garbage, let's just go all in.

When I was a kid, a pizza hut pizza was about as good as it got. Now I have a to eat at one the best pizza place in country to get that same sense of "happiness" from pizza. Maybe that's not a great example because pizza, even bad pizza, is generally great, but you get the point. The phenomena is called the hedonistic treadmill or hedonistic adaptation. Once you've had the best you are no longer happy with average. Also, the frozen crappy bagged food ya'll have pointed out is also a factor.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide