Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #10607042 02/10/15 12:55 PM
G
GarySHO Offline
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
G
Kiamichisooner, PM me if you are anywhere close to Broken Bow area and you can look at mine or we can go fishin. I have a PII.

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Basscat question [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #10607044 02/10/15 12:58 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
Two boats I said I'd own... A Skeeter or a Basscat - I just put a deposit on Basscat Pantera 2. And no, I'm not changing my screen name! Lol!

Check and see if screen name "meeoooow" is being used.....GL, Ronnie.

Any basscat would be a good choice, well built boat all around. Resale is important, and I think in your top choices, Basscat would be your best option. JMO!

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: Basscat question [Re: WAWI] #14048542 07/01/21 02:16 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by WAWI
Nothing like a good brand argument. popcorn

Says the now proud BassCat owner thumb

#MFGA
Re: Basscat question [Re: Douglas J] #14048551 07/01/21 02:29 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W

Lol, Johnny messed ranger up.

Re: Basscat question [Re: WAWI] #14048583 07/01/21 03:06 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

Lol, Johnny messed ranger up.

Johnny took y'all's football and went home wife

#MFGA
Re: Basscat question [Re: Neches] #14048759 07/01/21 12:42 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Neches
Front decks on the Bass Cat are extremely narrow. Lay 4 rods on each side and you can not move. You are stuck in a little bitty spot right in the middle of the deck. The trolling motor foot pedal being up on the nose of the boat makes no sense at all. And I know the fan boys won;t agree with me, but the hulls are not very strong. And yes I have spent lots of time in a Bass Cat, but never another one. Bass Cat hull and stumps do not agree with each other. Take a measuring tape and measure the width of the front deck of a Bass Cat against any of the other major brands.

Dumbest, most uneducated, post Iโ€™ve read. I fish weekly with 4 rods on each side of my Eyra and somehow I manage to have never broken a rod and still catch fish. The Eyra is more narrow at the front than the Cougar or Puma. The rest of your ignorant comments donโ€™t even deserve a response.

Like others stated, look at all of them and then make your decision. All three you mentioned are great boats. I hate plastic around the dash so Phoenix is out for me but they are great boats from everyone Iโ€™ve ever known that has owned them.

Last edited by C130; 07/01/21 12:54 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #14048783 07/01/21 01:09 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C'mon, Dougie.....2015? Really?

Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #14048909 07/01/21 02:40 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Coming from another brand of boat, the BassCat deck (except for the Jaguar, Lynx, and Caracal) will feel narrow, especially with the trolling pedal on the nose. BassCat builds their hulls with Lake Millwood near Ashdown AR specifically in mind... they are not weak to stumps. You can put a hole in anything if you try hard enough or get a defective hull. If you end up with the latter, you will get a call from the company owner himself to make it right.

Scott Jones
Re: Basscat question [Re: C130] #14048929 07/01/21 03:02 PM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by C130
Originally Posted by Neches
Front decks on the Bass Cat are extremely narrow. Lay 4 rods on each side and you can not move. You are stuck in a little bitty spot right in the middle of the deck. The trolling motor foot pedal being up on the nose of the boat makes no sense at all. And I know the fan boys won;t agree with me, but the hulls are not very strong. And yes I have spent lots of time in a Bass Cat, but never another one. Bass Cat hull and stumps do not agree with each other. Take a measuring tape and measure the width of the front deck of a Bass Cat against any of the other major brands.

Dumbest, most uneducated, post Iโ€™ve read. I fish weekly with 4 rods on each side of my Eyra and somehow I manage to have never broken a rod and still catch fish. The Eyra is more narrow at the front than the Cougar or Puma. The rest of your ignorant comments donโ€™t even deserve a response.

Like others stated, look at all of them and then make your decision. All three you mentioned are great boats. I hate plastic around the dash so Phoenix is out for me but they are great boats from everyone Iโ€™ve ever known that has owned them.

All glass dash for 2022 so people can stop repeating this same old tired criticism that has nothing to do with the performance of a fishing boat. Just like if you take care of the elderly shower grab bars BC puts on their top caps, if you take care of the dash it looks fine and does what it is intended to do.

Re: Basscat question [Re: Okie Poke] #14049084 07/01/21 05:26 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Okie Poke

It popped up doing some research and Hugh's comment is funny being as he now owns a Bass Cat thumb

#MFGA
Re: Basscat question [Re: Douglas J] #14049091 07/01/21 05:29 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Douglas J

It popped up doing some research and Hugh's comment is funny being as he now owns a Bass Cat thumb

Just gotta consider the source, bruh. He justa rich, spoiled kid that's prolly owned every boat on the market.

Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #14049100 07/01/21 05:35 PM
MikeW07 Offline
Angler
Angler
Surprised no one on here mentioned the great bassboat search Ken Smith just did - go to his facebook page or pull up the video's here on TFF - he ran a lot of boats and reviewed them all for what he was looking for in a new boat - I really enjoyed the whole series - one of the thing he did was ask I think 6 fiberglass repair shops what the best built boat was and I believe all 6 included basscat in their list. He finally picked the Basscat Lynx - nice boat and I believe the Lynx is like 20'6" give or take an inch. Not cheap of course but none are -

I will say that if Legend was still around and/or I was looking to get a different boat my 1st choice would have been the V20 - I have a Legend 211 and all the little things I would like to change were taken care of in the V20 model -

Re: Basscat question [Re: Okie Poke] #14049261 07/01/21 07:26 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W

Just gotta consider the source, bruh. He justa rich, spoiled kid that's prolly owned every boat on the market.

Lol, that's a funny one.

Re: Basscat question [Re: kiamichisooner] #14049362 07/01/21 08:39 PM
D
Double A Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I was in the exact same position as you. I went from a Ranger 372 to a Cougar Basscat FTD. The Ranger had a hand steer trolling motor as well. After 21 years of ownership, I switched and I bought a Cougar FTD. My rationale for Basscat purchase and my experiences since I switched are below.

-I wanted a dry 20' ride that I could drive in the Texas winds and bigger waves
-I wanted more storage space
-upgraded technology, hull and motor as my Ranger was several years old
-fiberglass hull, console and finish out with minimal plastic
-customer service (just in case) and a company that won't go bankrupt was also a consideration
-value. I run my boats forever. I wanted something that will last and I want more for my money. I was willing to pay a premium for certain brands, if the quality/features merited the added cost. After all, I owned a Ranger.

In the end, I bought a Cougar FTD. After buying the Basscat my experiences:

-I did not notice the front deck width being narrow. It is wider than my 18' Ranger. So relatively speaking, the Cougar's front deck was larger than what I was using; and, I did like the extended deck length to move the rods more 'behind' me rather than right at my feet
-foot control, recessed trolling motor up front. It took me some time to getting use to. Now, I won't have another boat w/o it. It is great for flipping and pitching. It's also easier on the back. If i'm fishing a spot - powerpoles or spotlock (I'm upgrading my TM now)
-While I usually fish alone or with one other person, sometimes I have 3 people in the boat. Fishing 3 on the Ranger was crowded. Fishing 2 up on the front deck of the Ranger, you had to be real careful. The added deck length on the Basscat provides more room and we've had fewer mishaps
-handling, ride and draft. The 20' is great coming from an 18' when the wind picks up. Granted, the boat driver needs to know how to drive in wind and waves, but I kick myself for waiting so long to get a 20' boat. The Cougar FTD doesn't draft a lot of water so I can still get real shallow and work narrow spots
-storage is absolutely ridiculous compared to an 18' Ranger. Longer space for longer rods, more rods and tons of tackle space
-Livewells are deep. I don't keep fish except the occasional meat run for stripers, white bass, or crappie to have a fish fry. When I do use the livewells, the depth is very nice to have
-Battery compartment. Access to batteries, bilge pumps, etc. in the Ranger, was not user friendly. It was a real pain to work in that space. The Cougar FTD has the removable lid, easy access to batteries and pumps(granted most new boats have good layouts for this). Again, coming from a 20yr old Ranger, it was night and day difference.
-Trailering. I had to make adjustments in how I put my boat into my garage storage due to the tandem axle trailer. No issue, just different. The tandem axle for pulling the boat and ride is better.

Excuse any typos.

If you want to PM, feel free.

Re: Basscat question [Re: WAWI] #14049849 07/02/21 11:53 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

Lol, that's a funny one.

J/K.....owned two boats of every kind.....bolt

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide