Print Thread
First Take- Ugly Stik Tiger Rods #14035983 06/18/21 12:58 PM
M
MathGeek Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: First Take- Ugly Stik Tiger Rods [Re: MathGeek] #14039674 06/22/21 03:45 AM
T
texdanm Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I like the rod but have one question. What do you do if you get hung on something. I used a line that heavy one time and when I got hung up on something I had to tie the line to the boat and use the boat to break it. Even with that, I had to get a running start with my 60 hp motor to break it. Do not try to break it with your bare hands. It will cut you and even with it wrapped ten times around my knocker stick I couldn't break it. I am 6'2" and weigh 220 and am not weak!!! I fish in a lot of places with stumps and having to go through all of that or just cut my line and lose it I just never go over 30 lb test anymore. I suspect that the line that says it is 65 pounds means that on a big spool of line that there is no place on it that is weaker than the stated line weight. There is no telling what the true breaking strenght in for most of it. I have the boat pulled down and was making no headway with breaking it before I gave up and used the boat.

You know that old saying "Some people march to the beat of a different drummer."? I don't listen to a drum at all and have meandered through life instead of marching.
Re: First Take- Ugly Stik Tiger Rods [Re: texdanm] #14042345 06/24/21 09:42 PM
M
MathGeek Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted by texdanm
I like the rod but have one question. What do you do if you get hung on something. I used a line that heavy one time and when I got hung up on something I had to tie the line to the boat and use the boat to break it. Even with that, I had to get a running start with my 60 hp motor to break it. Do not try to break it with your bare hands. It will cut you and even with it wrapped ten times around my knocker stick I couldn't break it. I am 6'2" and weigh 220 and am not weak!!! I fish in a lot of places with stumps and having to go through all of that or just cut my line and lose it I just never go over 30 lb test anymore. I suspect that the line that says it is 65 pounds means that on a big spool of line that there is no place on it that is weaker than the stated line weight. There is no telling what the true breaking strenght in for most of it. I have the boat pulled down and was making no headway with breaking it before I gave up and used the boat.

I usually wrap the braid around a tool in the boat and pull really hard to break it off if I can't break it with a jerk of the pole.

I'm often using lighter leaders that break easily so I only need to do that if it's hung higher up on the braid.

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Re: First Take- Ugly Stik Tiger Rods [Re: MathGeek] #14044622 06/27/21 03:06 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I use a uniknot to tie a mono leader to my braid main line, which is usually about eight feet of mono. I don't usually go over about 15# with the leader unless I'm in heavy cover and then it's just bumping up the pound test of your leader.
The heavy stuff is for the bigger fish which I seldom target, and I'll settle for the eaters, but I've caught cats 25+ using 14# line and a clean bottom.

Just one more cast!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide