Forums59
Topics1,037,834
Posts13,935,305
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14035396 06/17/21 07:11 PM
T
TinRangerJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
T
Have you heard the saying, "Drive it like you stole it"? 'Nuf said...

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14035416 06/17/21 07:29 PM
J
Jamoke Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I worked at Willow beach resort in the early 90's on the boat docks. These were aluminum fishing boats. They rented boats daily, no boat ever returned without prop damage, one hit a rock So hard the back transom separated from the boat. We had a full time mechanic and welder on staff to repair all the damaged boats. These were mostly tourists, little old men and ladies, no one that you would ever look at and think thy are going to wreak this boat. They just did not know the lake. All we had back then where plastic covered maps. We had a stand by team to go and pick them up when they invariably just did not understand how to pull start a motor or to change the gas connection (even after they were shown how). They routinely got anchors stuck, they lost anchors, lost life jackets, lost throw cushions. One of my brothers borrowed our older brothers boat for one Day and ruined it! This is a Very Bad Idea...

Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14035773 06/18/21 02:44 AM
C
cruzfishing Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
C
Wow, so many great points of view! Thank you for all the responses.... One of the reasons I was looking into it , was last year I sold my boat...I still wanted to fish but was relagated to just bank fishing..it was very frustrating...no one will loan you their boat...I get it...but I also have been on both sides and know that I am responsible and would take care of someone else's stuff....

So with that being said, I have had a few guys on here DM me in the same position..they recently sold their boat, they are mature, and would take care of it etc... I would mainly like to help other guys out who were in my shoes too...they want to get out on the lake, they are experience boaters and would be repeat customers....

There is an app called boatsetter or something like that, that looks like an Outdoorsy (rent your rv) where you can rent your boat, if they have insurance and coverage, then it would shield me from much of the liability, but I think if I did go this route, I would just be choosy who I allowed. Having people who have never used a bassboat would def scare me. ha.

I think many are right, some people would drive it like they stole it but I think even TFF'rs would be a great place to start, many have history on here and there is somewhat of a review process on here. I'm still toying with the idea, so many things I didn't think of that you guys brought up which are great points...broken items, missing, what if they try to steal it, liability etc.... There's app like Turo which lets you rent your car out...and people seem to do ok with it, maybe they need a good boat app like that too.

Thank you all again for your feedback and different perspectives.... I have a 12' john boat, maybe I will start with that? hahah!

Last edited by cruzfishing; 06/18/21 03:20 AM.

http://tackleCoOp.com - New Custom Fishing Marketplace.
https://www.instagram.com/cruzfishing -posting fishing reports and pics here..its a bit easier.
https://tinyurl.com/cruzfishing (new Youtube Channel with indepth fishing reports)
DFW Fishing Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/dfwfishingforum
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: BlueSkeeter13] #14037578 06/20/21 12:31 AM
herbsteiner Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted by BlueSkeeter13
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by fishinlance
Barrett
There was a booth set up at the classic called “boat hop “it’s going to bo like a Uber.
You get paid to take people out on your boat.The lady said this new concept is about two
Weeks old.

I think they have that now, it's called a guide......

roflmao

He can simply be a chauffeur. He picks the guy up at the ramp, "where do ya want to go?", and drives him around the lake for a set amount of time. No gear available for use, no comments on fishing technique, what baits to use, or whatever. And you don't fish. After 4 hours, you get your money and drop the guy off at the ramp.

Y'know, it just crossed my mind that, at my age 73, that might not be a bad idea. It's brutal hot on Lake Travis in the summer and this season I put a bimini cover on my Skeeter SX190. Best freakin' addition to the boat since the Ultrex. Fish upfront, then chill out under the cover. And I can stay out longer. If I was getting $200 for 4 hours of chilling in the shade with a good book while someone else is bank beating and using the trolling motor (or I could with the remote), might be an easy way to make a few coin.

Possible?

Last edited by herbsteiner; 06/20/21 12:45 AM.
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14037627 06/20/21 01:32 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
You can't hurt a rented boat!

#MFGA
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14037684 06/20/21 03:05 AM
T
Texas Fight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
This is actually a business question. Not a boating question. Some of these answers come from people who pay more for boat and truck interest than for personal income growth. From a business view it can be a great idea. The right location and business plan the ROI could be very good. A pontoon which can hold many recreational customers, with a small motor to regulate speed in a lake know for big party groups would work. A bass boat that runs at high speed only rented on occasions to cover your ownership cost, would cause the risk to out way the return. If the customer was a weekend warrior who knows boats would be ideal, but they usually have a boat. We all have seen the first time boater at the ramp and on the water. To be successful you need a few boats rented making money, so when you do have a problem, it only lowers your ROI, not puts you into BK. For me, the risk just out ways the return to much for your plan.

Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: Texas Fight] #14038045 06/20/21 04:22 PM
S
Sawhorse Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Texas Fight
This is actually a business question. Not a boating question. Some of these answers come from people who pay more for boat and truck interest than for personal income growth. From a business view it can be a great idea. The right location and business plan the ROI could be very good. A pontoon which can hold many recreational customers, with a small motor to regulate speed in a lake know for big party groups would work. A bass boat that runs at high speed only rented on occasions to cover your ownership cost, would cause the risk to out way the return. If the customer was a weekend warrior who knows boats would be ideal, but they usually have a boat. We all have seen the first time boater at the ramp and on the water. To be successful you need a few boats rented making money, so when you do have a problem, it only lowers your ROI, not puts you into BK. For me, the risk just out ways the return to much for your plan.

In short, “these answers that come from people who pay more for a boat and truck interest than for personal income growth” are spot on. Bad idea...too much risk.

Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14040849 06/23/21 01:40 PM
hawghoover Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
NO SIR!

Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: Texas Fight] #14040865 06/23/21 01:52 PM
S
Slicefixer Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
S

VERY similar to my thoughts.....

I don't leverage myself with bad debt....
I own my own business and it was started from zero....
And I want to limit my "opportunities" in regards to dealing with lawyers, especially trial lawyers...

So I've been around a bit.....

This idea, on the surface, definitely has merit. However, the POSSIBLE return measured against the PROBABLE hassles, stresses, and legal issues, etc.....hehehe.....nope, not for me.

However, it certainly might work as a profitable business (as TF stated above) for somebody else.

Last edited by Slicefixer; 06/23/21 01:58 PM.

Gj
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14040962 06/23/21 03:42 PM
P
PowerLizard Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Do you have a small outboard for the 12 foot Jon Boat?
Would you be interested in renting it out for a week?

Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14041100 06/23/21 05:49 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I'm ultra careful and know my boat backwards and forwards. I can barely take it out myself and not damage something. Not sure what the deal with boats is, but it's always something.

Guys who rent boats and do it successfully do it with aluminum boats and 15 horse motors. Some make fish finders an add on option.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: Okie Poke] #14041117 06/23/21 06:05 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
I don't think so, Tim. You could prolly expect to salvage out the boat after the first summer of renting. And you're still paying on a 15yr old boat?

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: Texas Fight] #14041121 06/23/21 06:06 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

cheers

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #14041329 06/23/21 09:51 PM
E
ezbassin Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
I'd rent out a basstracker type boat but not a glass boat. I have a buddy who rents out several pontoons on lake Travis. He gets $750 for 4hrs and stays booked April through September. He does well...

Yes, I can see that, but not your personal bass boat.

Re: Thinking of renting my Bass Boat out on non-stump lakes...anyone rent theirs? [Re: cruzfishing] #14041659 06/24/21 06:54 AM
T
TxDispatcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
There used to be a member here who did this on Fayette, I believe he had a Tracker 190 with a 90 Merc...haven’t seen anything about him in several years, and couldn’t find anything recent when I googled him

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide