Re: Outboard dies low idle [Re: hopalong] #14023707 06/07/21 05:59 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
check all fuel connections and make sure you have zero air leaks, took me about 2 months to track down the same problem with a 175 fast strike.
went from the click on fuel hose to direct to the engine. connector would not stay tight for some reason and was letting air into the fuel line at the engine connection.

I can't even remember the number of those quick connects that I have bypassed. I just did this recently on my nephew's old Merc 80HP and it runs like a scalded ape now...

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Outboard dies low idle [Re: Bradley McCaw] #14024271 06/08/21 02:55 AM
T
TR176 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
I recently had repairs and had a similar problem. When the repair shop reattached the fuel line to the motor they crimped down the fuel line ethanol proof liner and they left off the clamp. Just cut and reattached the fuel line properly. Easy fix.

Re: Outboard dies low idle [Re: Flippin-Out] #14024289 06/08/21 03:38 AM
R
Randy Harrell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by Randy Harrell
Originally Posted by jakepart
Compression.... that was my answer.

Mine too! I have on 06 Opti 150. Scattered my powerhead 2 years ago when I got water intrusion in my oil tank. Put new head on and first 5-6 hours, everything was fine. Then it started wanting to die at idle. Within a few trips it would barely idle more than 3-4 seconds, but ran strong hole shot and top end. Took it back and initial compression check was fine. They then did a leak down and he said 4 of the six were bad. Luckily I was still in warranty and got another head. I have about 12 hours on this one and so far so good.

Was a method of water contamination ever identified? I run a 2-stroke with a tank, and prefer to avoid whatever happened in your case.

I have a Triton TR 186 and the oil fill has a cap on the right side of the motor on very rear of the boat. I think I had a leak in the seal around that cap. I have now bypassed that cap an use a funnel to direct fill the tank.

A friend had a problem with a TR196, but his showed before the water got in. His stopped sending oil to the top tank. The leak was discovered the around the oil fill cap.

I'm pretty sure that was my problem. I had the top tank go.low. I topped it off and the problem seemed to go away. There was water In both top and bottom tanks, so it had to orginate in lower tank.

Set the hook first, ask questions later!!!
Re: Outboard dies low idle [Re: Randy Harrell] #14024292 06/08/21 03:42 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by jakepart
Compression.... that was my answer.

Mine too! I have on 06 Opti 150. Scattered my powerhead 2 years ago when I got water intrusion in my oil tank. Put new head on and first 5-6 hours, everything was fine. Then it started wanting to die at idle. Within a few trips it would barely idle more than 3-4 seconds, but ran strong hole shot and top end. Took it back and initial compression check was fine. They then did a leak down and he said 4 of the six were bad. Luckily I was still in warranty and got another head. I have about 12 hours on this one and so far so good.

Was a method of water contamination ever identified? I run a 2-stroke with a tank, and prefer to avoid whatever happened in your case.

I have a Triton TR 186 and the oil fill has a cap on the right side of the motor on very rear of the boat. I think I had a leak in the seal around that cap. I have now bypassed that cap an use a funnel to direct fill the tank.

A friend had a problem with a TR196, but his showed before the water got in. His stopped sending oil to the top tank. The leak was discovered the around the oil fill cap.

I'm pretty sure that was my problem. I had the top tank go.low. I topped it off and the problem seemed to go away. There was water In both top and bottom tanks, so it had to orginate in lower tank.

Your failure analysis sounds very sound. I have a remote fill port, and now think that a new seal might be a good plan as money well spent.

Re: Outboard dies low idle [Re: Bradley McCaw] #14024320 06/08/21 06:02 AM
B
bronco71 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B

My Triton TX21 had a remote oil tank fill on the rear deck of the boat that I didn't really trust. The remote tank was directly under the rear compartment hatch and the fill hose from the deck to the tank had a severe 90 degree bend. There was about a 90 degree fill cap on the tank. Although luckily I did not get water in the tank I did get an air leak and lost vacuum causing the engine tank to run low. Leak was from the hose connection at the deck cap. Since my tank is easily accessed from my rear compartment I removed the fill hose and 90 degree cap and replaced with a regular tank cap available from Mercury. Now I do not worry about getting air/vacuum leaks or water in the oil....

1987 Nitro MX185/Mercury Black Max 150
1999 Triton TX21/225 Mercury Optimax
Re: Outboard dies low idle [Re: bronco71] #14024325 06/08/21 07:08 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by bronco71

My Triton TX21 had a remote oil tank fill on the rear deck of the boat that I didn't really trust. The remote tank was directly under the rear compartment hatch and the fill hose from the deck to the tank had a severe 90 degree bend. There was about a 90 degree fill cap on the tank. Although luckily I did not get water in the tank I did get an air leak and lost vacuum causing the engine tank to run low. Leak was from the hose connection at the deck cap. Since my tank is easily accessed from my rear compartment I removed the fill hose and 90 degree cap and replaced with a regular tank cap available from Mercury. Now I do not worry about getting air/vacuum leaks or water in the oil....

One thing I thought about is security. Anyone walking by the boat inclined to be a royal jerk could compromise the oil supply by introducing any number of foreign liquids or materials via an above deck fill port. Under a deck lid is out of sight of many who would not be determined enough to tamper with a boat to that extent.

Re: Outboard dies low idle [Re: hopalong] #14039934 06/22/21 02:34 PM
B
Bradley McCaw Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
check all fuel connections and make sure you have zero air leaks, took me about 2 months to track down the same problem with a 175 fast strike.
went from the click on fuel hose to direct to the engine. connector would not stay tight for some reason and was letting air into the fuel line at the engine connection.

Hit the nail on the head. Noticed the other day when squeezing the primer bulb, gas started leaking from the fitting with air bubbles. Switched fuel line and went back to OEM bulb and fitting, decided to just put new lines on as well no issues since. Never again will i use aftermarket fuel line assembly pieces.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide